• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    What an odd coincidence: today I got a call from my dad and he found the shotgun magazine while cleaning out the barn! Now my grandfather’s old shotgun is complete!

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Yep.. Still got mine 20ga. "Joe The Motorist Friend" Sold Guns Long...
    Long...Long..ago, get your tires, oil changed, car parts and buy a gun..
    One stop shop n.. First shotgun.. then came more later.

_Rock
    Now you are bringing back some memories. I had one of the stores near me growing up and sold fishing stuff. I bought my first Mitchell 300 reel from them. They were only like $12 back then

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    My father gave me one when I first started hunting at 12 years old. He would always have me load the gun outside at a safe location. Put the safety on and pull the trigger to make sure it was working. Every time I would take the safely off to either shoot or on load the gun it would fire. He would get made at me and tell me I was doing something wrong. Turns out the firing pin was dropping with the safety check and when I removed the safety it would fire. He tried it once and it happened to him.

I never saw that gun again. Not sure what happened to it.

-Russ

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    What an odd coincidence: today I got a call from my dad and he found the shotgun magazine while cleaning out the barn! Now my grandfather’s old shotgun is complete!
    If that's not a sign to take it out and shoot it soon I don't know what is

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    Several years ago, a coworker needed a little cash & sold me one for $40. I thought it was one like my dad's but turns out his is an H&R 348. I've always found the rifle style stock to be comfortable to shoot and a rather natural pointer. I hand it to first time shooters & they seem to take to it very well. The oddest thing I find about it is the notch rear rifle sight. I love the bit of tiger stripe on it.

Attachments

• 20240209_195727.jpg
      20240209_195727.jpg
      91.5 KB · Views: 22

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    A heads-up about Poly-chokes. When the muzzle is measured with calipers, the label on mine that says what choke it's set at isn't accurate. Since I've realized that, I haven't patterned it, but it was way too far open.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    when I was about 17, my grandfather gave me his bolt action 20 gauge, and his sporterized Enfield in 303 British that was his deer rifle. That was around 1972 and I still have both. I tried a round of trap with the 20ga once and could not hit a thing, but that was probably my fault. I deer hunted with the Enfield for a couple seasons till I got something else. They both just live in the safe now for sentimental reasons.

mine doesn't have that variable choke thing on it, instead if has a series of screw on chokes that go on the external threads. Now that I say that, I can't lay my hands on them... time to tear the house apart...arg.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    … pay particular attention to the way the trigger-guard is attached to the bottom of the action.
    Theirs a machine screw with star lock washer on it. If that sucker comes loose on a closed bolt with loaded round, the slightest manipulation of the bolt knob will allow the sear to override the cocking piece. And I mean like dragging the bolt knob across your coat or tapping it with your finger.….

:shocked4: This of unawares I was !!!!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Sold mine; it was the .410 purchased from the Western Auto store which used to be at the intersection of the B&W Pkwy and then Riverdale Road. East Pines? In fact, iirc, the bbl was stamped “Western Auto, Model whatever …”

I inherited my grandfather’s bolt action Mossberg that looks identical, except mine’s a 12 gauge. Unfortunately, the magazine was lost years ago and I haven’t found a replacement. The choke is really cool - you just dial it to where you want it on the fly.
    I bought one many years ago without a magazine. I came to the conclusion that the unobtanium magazines were worth more than the shotgun itself.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I remember them, have seen a lot sitting in used-gun racks over the years. My first .22 was bolt action Mossberg, they made 'em better back then, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom