• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Not surprising. The administration wanted some furlough threats to show how "horrible" the sequester would be, and the DoD had to play along. Now that the sequester has become reality, the administration doesn't really want them.

Still, this is good news. Some of the lower-grade folks in uniform were going to get plastered by those furloughs, and this lessens the pain somewhat.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I was enjoying my Fridays off. I have less money, but more free time.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    This. As someone with no kids and no mortgage I was :party29:

Yeah, at least they had the courtesy to do it during the summer. I've gone fishing/tubing on the South Fork Shenandoah 2x (3x after this weekend). I figured I may as well make the best of my forced day off.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My DoD-employed wife got completely exempted due to some sort of financial shens I don't really understand. She was looking forward to her days off; I, OTOH, am glad that my gun-buying fund is intact.

I read they're going to furlough twice as much next year AND start RIFs :/
    They can't furlough "twice as much" as the original 22 days without hitting certain rules that demand that furloughs over a certain amount of days be contiguous. RIFs, sure, that's always a possibility.

CorpsmanUp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 19, 2010
    St Mary's County
    The moral of the story here is "emergency savings."

If you prepared, it wasn't too bad.

Saving even a little every paycheck can help you out in a bind.

If they are going to do it again, make a solid plan. Spread it out over the year. Less impact and strain on those that are put on furlough.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    My DoD-employed wife got completely exempted due to some sort of financial shens I don't really understand. She was looking forward to her days off; I, OTOH, am glad that my gun-buying fund is intact.

They can't furlough "twice as much" as the original 22 days without hitting certain rules that demand that furloughs over a certain amount of days be contiguous. RIFs, sure, that's always a possibility.

Each agency was given the option of how to make the cuts. Mine decided everybody takes a bite of the shit sandwich unless stationed OCONUS or otherwise deployed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom