Does anybody here work at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eadgbe194

Jan 31, 2010
    I have a job right now, but I don't have any passion for it. I think that I would really like to work at the APL and wanted to talk to someone who does. I have some questions about the different departments, career paths, advancement, pay scale, etc. I saw that there is an APL gun club listed on the AGC website so I figured maybe someone who works there is also on this forum.

I have also been accepted to the applied biomedical engineering program there, but haven't started taking any classes yet. I have heard they offer free tuition for employees and that is a huge draw for me, and would like to know more about that program as well.

I am a Navy veteran with a previous secret clearance, I have a mechanical engineering degree from CU and my EIT. My experience is mostly with submarines and power plants, but I have some design and manufacturing experience as well. If you do work there and wouldn't mind talking to me please send me a PM.

nuShooter

Nov 26, 2008
    Howard County
    I applied to several jobs at APL, and was turned down for all of them. To give you some background about me, I am enrolled in their Grad program (currently 4.0 average, graduating next spring), and have 5 years in the network security field and hold a TS/SCI with FS Poly. My senior design project (in cryptography Algorithm design)won a department award at my school.

APL did not hire me because I went to a tough Undergraduate college and graduated with a 2.6 GPA (3.1 major GPA) which still put me at the top 20% of my engineering class (very competitive program). Now I work at NASA and absolutely love my job.

Moral of the story, APL is great, but they are more concerned with your pedigree than what you really know. At least that's my own personal experience.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I have a job right now, but I don't have any passion for it. I think that I would really like to work at the APL and wanted to talk to someone who does. I have some questions about the different departments, career paths, advancement, pay scale, etc. I saw that there is an APL gun club listed on the AGC website so I figured maybe someone who works there is also on this forum.

I have also been accepted to the applied biomedical engineering program there, but haven't started taking any classes yet. I have heard they offer free tuition for employees and that is a huge draw for me, and would like to know more about that program as well.

I am a Navy veteran with a previous secret clearance, I have a mechanical engineering degree from CU and my EIT. My experience is mostly with submarines and power plants, but I have some design and manufacturing experience as well. If you do work there and wouldn't mind talking to me please send me a PM.

One of my former students works for APL. He got his PhD at Penn in underwater acoustics and was under contract with the Navy working on underwater detection. PM me, and I'll put you in touch with him.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    they are more concerned with your pedigree than what you really know.

I've worked a few projects with JHUAPL. Being a knuckle dragging program management type I won't even try to compare brain pans with those folks, but I think a Gunny that worked for me summed it up pretty well:

"These guys are wicked smart, but they missed the common sense train"

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I've worked a few projects with JHUAPL. Being a knuckle dragging program management type I won't even try to compare brain pans with those folks, but I think a Gunny that worked for me summed it up pretty well:

"These guys are wicked smart, but they missed the common sense train"

Working on a program now with them. Very "book" smart, but they need some real world experience. I'm glad they are on our side though.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Moral of the story, APL is great, but they are more concerned with your pedigree than what you really know. At least that's my own personal experience.

This was my experience also. I had a B.S. and M.S. in engineering from Berkeley and had worked at LBL on some research projects. I applied to two jobs at APL that I thought were a good fit for my background and skills. They wrote a nice reply letter saying my qualifications were nice, but they're not interested. I then turned to industry and worked in the semiconductor field at places like Applied Materials and Analog Devices. Then I went to work at Livermore, and got promoted quickly, eventually being the PI of several research projects and doing essentially the same level of work I would have been doing at APL. There's more than one path to doing interesting research projects and some organizations will give you the opportunity if you can demonstrate the skills and ability, and some organizations will judge your abilities by the credentials on paper.

BeachCop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 16, 2008
    I ran into a old friend a couple of weeks ago. He works for a prestigious Marine Research Lab. I was kinda puzzled because he barely got out of the 10th grade. He must of saw my puzzled look because he quickly volunteered "I'm the guy that drives the boat. Without me they would get lost!"

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I have several friends who work or worked at APL. I have never seen that much gee wiz stuff from my end. Anyway I hear it is a good place to work, though 2 have left and set up their own contracting business. They make stupid amounts of money now.

Apply and see where it goes. If it doesn't work out then try something else.

Vic

nuShooter

Nov 26, 2008
    Howard County
    There's more than one path to doing interesting research projects and some organizations will give you the opportunity if you can demonstrate the skills and ability, and some organizations will judge your abilities by the credentials on paper.

This is the truth! There are so many contractors in this area, that you will be able to find something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom