• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Would like to carry something like this until i move out of this state and buy a pistol to carry. Just like a bullet would you not think a knife blade would have to be a certain length in order to reach vitals. To end any unfortunate situation quickly. You all obviously know knives better then I do. Can we keep something like this under say 75.00

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****Kinda rare to find a push knife over 5" blade length IME, without going custom - but they do exist. At your pricepoint, perhaps something like below? 5" total length with maybe a 3.5 ish inch blade is much more common and easy to find. Never heard of anyone that prefers to be stabbed with the shorter vs longer push knives... LOL.

Others may have links to more products that might meet your requirements. Custom wise, tons of options of course but also well above your $75 limit. Arizona Cutlery has a bunch of options, including some nice Behren's (Jim) designed and forged products - nice, but very pricey.

Not listed below, but Kenesaw Cutlery has a bunch of push knives they sell, but mostly 4 inches and below blades - most at your price point, but a bit shorter in length.

Good luck and be sure whatever you carry is legal to do so in the area you are in, etc..

push.jpg

push4.jpg

push2.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Edged weapon defense seems simple, but there are a lot of considerations that might not be readily apparent and differ from other types of lethal force. You need to know the laws, if a fixed blade, auto or other type of knife you plan on carrying is lawful or not, and even so where firearms largely have state pre-emption, edged weapons usually don't, and possessing a lawful knife may become a crime crossing into a different town. It's a good idea to take a course or pactice, even more so if you don't have much grappling or martial arts training. Being there is no real stand off distance, it's basically a requirement to draw, deploy, target and strike while your attacker is presenting a deadly threat, might be sticking a pistol in your face from a few feet away, might be after a couple attackers knock you down, but either way there are a lot of unique considerations.

Being edged weapons, their purpose and training around them are somewhat specialized, it's really hard to say one knife is the best for you. It's one of those things where those that know don't ask, and those that ask don't know. Most of my experience is PMA and BJJ with a couple extra classes specific to edged backup of a primary firearm. This is completely different than "knife fighting" which can get you killed or a murder charge in most cases. There are a lot of blade styles and purposes, and they all do something better or worse than others. I spent most time training with an ultra deadly washable marker. Some techniques are taught with random rubber knives about 4" blade, or for me rubber karambits. I have practiced with push daggers a little, and they are really limiting, somewhat secure, easy for short stabbing strikes, but can be a little unweildy past a 2-3" blade. A traditional 3-5" SE or dagger is probably the most intuitive to use, but a little less secure in the hand. Karambits are most secure, can offer great control, relatively safe from cutting yourself, but limited to primarily a reverse grip and are best when small.

As far as penetration depth, it's not like a handgun with 12" penetration in gel being a requirement. Some targets are an inch or less below skin, some control cuts don't really require much penetration at all, and a 3" stab can stop a threat really fast, or a large dagger can be too obvious to draw and slow to use to be effective. Like firearms it's all about skill and placement. Knives can also easily injure the user, folders can be less reliable to deploy, or can break before a fixed blade will, but they are not as widely lawful. LOTS of defensive folder use results in the first strike folding the blade over the user's fingers as they don't notice their fingers getting nearly cut off and their "stabs" doing nothing to the threat. Personally I use fixed blades where I can, or usually an Emerson Karambit worn weak side as backup to my AIWB carry pistol. Easy to draw and deploy from most any position, and less likely to stab myself if I am rolling on the ground with it, can also draw my pistol and use it without dropping the knife. IMO a defensive knife has to be purposeful, and shouldn't be dirtied, dulled and gummed up from daily use, carry a 2nd folder for that. Not saying push daggers are pointless or a "bad choice", but they just aren't my choice and one I haven't really worked with enough to be able to recommend them over other choices I do prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom