• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I like my Yugo but it feels nose heavy and isn't that comfortable to shoot off a rest. I'll get a non launcher one when I find a deal on one.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Also and IMO, if you are buying one just for shooting, buy Chinese. They are the least collectible but they are best ones ever made if you ask me. Back in the 80's before the internet, I had an old numbers matching blade Chicom. It had almost zero finish left on it and rattled like a can of marbles but that thing was the best one I've ever owned. It's one of the only firearms I regret selling.

Spoken like a true Czech gun collector! :lol:

Not to get too detailed, but saying that the Chinese are "the least collectible" is sort of a yes ... and no ... statement. I'd agree that the later so-called "Norinco" SKSs are probably among the least collectible--yet they are bringing higher and higher prices these days. The early Chineses rifles (milled receivers, chromed bores, blade bayonet) are beautifully made and loved by a lot of people. Even as fugly as some of the battered and grease-fried Sino-Soviet-Albanian T56s are, they are amazing rifles to own and shoot. Most people who get one seem to end up grabbing at least one more.

We're saying the same thing in different ways, and both of us know what we each mean, but I'm trying to sort it out for someone who is new to C&Rs in general, and SKSs in particular. Maybe it's safe to say that I'd rather have a nice, solid ... if battered ... early Chinese SKSs that survived years in Albania, than a bright, shiny, later "Norinco" import.

On the other hand, if you come across one that's the best of both worlds, it's hard to argue that it's not highly collectible.

Attachments

• AA_Lft_Side.jpg
      AA_Lft_Side.jpg
      25.1 KB · Views: 346
    • AA_Top.jpg
      AA_Top.jpg
      88.4 KB · Views: 260
    • 4HB_2.jpg
      4HB_2.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 258

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I 100% agree with your post Machodoc. The early Chicom long collars are quite collectible and yours is an excellent example. The late all stamped Chicoms are very sought after as well. As you allude to, when I say "least collectible", I'm referring to the vast sea of newer made pinned barrel "Norinco" SKS's that were brought in in the late 80's and early 90's. That is the typical Chinese SKS that is most often encountered.

LAPD

Jan 23, 2013
    I own a Yugo M59/66A1 SKS rifle and really like it. I bought it about 4 years ago and have shot about 900 rounds though it. These Yugo models are built like a tank. As far as accuracy about the same as other models (not great). I did some mods to mine as you can see in the pic.

Attachments

• M59:66A1 pic.jpg
      M59:66A1 pic.jpg
      94.6 KB · Views: 253

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I own a Yugo M59/66A1 SKS rifle and really like it. I bought it about 4 years ago and have shot about 900 rounds though it. These Yugo models are built like a tank. As far as accuracy about the same as other models (not great). I did some mods to mine as you can see in the pic.

Nice! whats on the rear of the receiver cover?

LAPD

Jan 23, 2013
    Thank you for your compliment.That is a sight from a company called Tech sight. It can be adjusted for windage and elevation. Well manufactured and I think I payed $60.00 for it.

LAPD

Jan 23, 2013
    Nice! whats on the rear of the receiver cover?

Thank you for your compliment. That is a sight from a company called Tech Sight and it can be adjusted for windage and elevation. Well manufactured and I think I payed $60.00 for it.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Thank you for your compliment.That is a sight from a company called Tech sight. It can be adjusted for windage and elevation. Well manufactured and I think I payed $60.00 for it.

Did you have to modify the rifle to put that sight on? Most serious C&R collectors like to keep our firearms original and un-modified, because drilling holes, etc., makes the value of the firearm take a heavy hit.

LAPD

Jan 23, 2013
    Did you have to modify the rifle to put that sight on? Most serious C&R collectors like to keep our firearms original and un-modified, because drilling holes, etc., makes the value of the firearm take a heavy hit.

Yes, in order to install the tech sight I had to remove the pin that secures the receiver cover to the receiver. As far C&R status I didn't buy the rifle for that reason, I just wanted a low priced military rifle. Ben Murray's gunsmith shop in Texas sells some very good products that help the performance of these rifles such as spring loaded firing pins, oversized gas valve, and 922r compliance kits. And also he will ream the throat to prevent popped primers.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    An original VZ-58 may be a better rifle.

A cobbled together VZ-2008 is not a better rifle than the SKS.

The first VZ-2008 I ever picked up had the front sight installed a few degrees off center.

Century Arms is knocking them out with no regard for quality control.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    An original VZ-58 may be a better rifle.

A cobbled together VZ-2008 is not a better rifle than the SKS.

The first VZ-2008 I ever picked up had the front sight installed a few degrees off center.

Century Arms is knocking them out with no regard for quality control.

I've heard of issues with the vz2008 from canted sights to fte. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who got one with ZERO issues.

LAPD

Jan 23, 2013
    2 years ago I installed an over sized stainless steel gas valve from Murray's because of stove pipe problems. Since then I have shot about 500 rounds and never had that problem again.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I picked up a norinco at Baltimore's best pawn a few months ago. All matching numbers and looked like it had only been fired a couple times. Basically new.

I had a vz 2008. It was not great. It fired but keyholed at 50-100 yards. So that wasn't enjoyable. The sks is more accurate than the vz I had since it doesn't keyhole and the sights aren't all bungled up.

Both were/are reliable. But one you can hit what you're aiming at with.

Once you get used to slamming stripper clips in the top it can be done rather quickly.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I've got a Yugo SKS that I picked up probably 8 years ago that was unissued. I've shot the thing maybe 10 times but never have any issue. Accuracy seems to be a bit better than some of the other's my buddies have. Price has gone up a lot over the past 10 years but for what they are, it's hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom