Does Bolt Replacement of a 1903-A3 Require Re-Headspacing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Am I correct that replacing the bolt in a 1903-A3 will change the headspacing of the gun, requiring a gunsmith to readjust it?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Am I correct that replacing the bolt in a 1903-A3 will change the headspacing of the gun, requiring a gunsmith to readjust it?

It may or may not change, but it should be checked.

I got an NOS bolt assembly for the 1903A3 that I'm trying to set up as a close to "as new" very late '43 / very early '44 rifle. When I put it in, it passed both the GO and NO-Go tests, so no adjustment necessary -- thank heaven!

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I got an NOS bolt assembly for the 1903A3 that I'm trying to set up as a close to "as new" very late '43 / very early '44 rifle. When I put it in, it passed both the GO and NO-Go tests, so no adjustment necessary -- thank heaven!

I've been dilly-dallying for years over whether to buy a head-space gage, but you've just convinced me to just do it. Order placed.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I've been dilly-dallying for years over whether to buy a head-space gage, but you've just convinced me to just do it. Order placed.

Not sure where you are, but I'd have checked it for you if you were close enough to meet up. When you get them, load the gauge under the extractor manually, then very gently close the bolt. You want to hold the bolt handle with three fingers (thumb, index, and middle), then gently move it forward and down, feeling for resistance. There will be a bit of friction, but shouldn't come to a dead stop or resist to the point that you feel like you need to force it. And, of course, don't force it.

The GO gauge should "load" like a normal bullet, and the NO GO gauge should not.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Machodoc, I've got a basic understanding of how to use the gages, but I'll keep your instructions handy. Thank you!

ItsGarand

-> TEUFELSBERG <-
    May 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    If it's a Remington bolt going into a Remington action you are almost certainly good. However, you should always check. Always. There is nothing like piece of mind and intact face.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    ItsGarand: Smith-Corona bolt going into Smith-Corona receiver (currently kitted-out with a Remington bolt).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom