Does everyone use "GO - NO GO" gauges in their AR builds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Finally getting around to assembling an upper that has been sitting for 2 years.
    Does everyone check their upper builds with GO - NO GO gauges after assembly? or just hope for the best?

Any one have a MI reaction rod and Gauge,, and want to assemble this with me looking over their shoulder? I would pay for your time of course.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I just use 'fields' and leave it at that. I have go-no goes, just in case I run into a problem, but haven't needed them, as of yet.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Yes, I always check. I've never had a problem with MSRs, but it's cheap insurance against possibly life-changing injury. As several above have mentioned, I use the no-go only when installing a new barrel, but only use a field gage thereafter, maybe every 1000 rounds or so when I detail strip for inspection, or fix something.

I have full gage sets for all the calibers I own, because I also do work on antiques, C&Rs, and other non-MSRs, and they're indispensable when reaming a chamber.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A friend has the full set in 0.001” increments that I use, but that’s overkill.

I only own a USGI gauge myself, which is a field gauge.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I always check. I had one barrel of mine that gauged short with an Aero bolt, but okay with other bolts. Not ragging on Aero, just pointing out that even decent manufacturers have a bad one get through once in awhile. I've seen short headspace in class, too. So I always check.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    So the next question is:
    Does anyone have a MI style reaction bar and "Go, No Go" gauges that would be willing to assemble the barrel of the upper and check the head space.
    Individual or business,, I'll pay the going rate.
    Southern Maryland or lower mid Maryland,
    I know 90% of MDS lives within a mile of the PA line :)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So the next question is:
    Does anyone have a MI style reaction bar and "Go, No Go" gauges that would be willing to assemble the barrel of the upper and check the head space.
    Individual or business,, I'll pay the going rate.
    Southern Maryland or lower mid Maryland,
    I know 90% of MDS lives within a mile of the PA line :)
    I’d gladly help…if I wasn’t a mile from the PA line…. :lol2:

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    About to order a MI rod and set of headspace gauges.
    (I literally could not find a smith in my area that had uses a set of gauges.)

5.56 or .233 gauges?
    the GO is the same on both - 1.4636
    The nogo is 1.4696 for the 5.56,, and 1.4666 for the 223 so just a tighter tolerance on the .223
    I have read that some use the .223 to get tighter tolerance. I am no a competition shooter,, lucky to shoot this past 200 yards.

Thinking 1.4636 go
    And 1.4696 no go,, basically a .223 nogo

is Clymer an acceptable brand ?

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    School of the American Rifle (a member of MDS) has plenty of videos of the use of gauges for all parts of the builds and troubleshooting.

He also has lots of other social media. (He is located a couple of miles south of the PA Line)
    www.schooloftheamericanrifle.com
    https://sotarsociety.com/
    www.facebook.com/SchooloftheAmericanRifle
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/266561930649102 www.instagram.com/schooloftheamericanrifle

School of the American Rifle is a Technical/Armorers Training Course located in Elkton MD, that focuses on the popular and modular, direct-impingement AR15 rifle, carbine, short barreled rifle, and pistol.

Our Gunsmith & Instructor "Instructor Chad" is dedicated to guiding his students to develop a deep and thorough understanding of the AR15. Our training philosophy is simple, we strive to give each student an intense and intimate understanding of their AR15 that rivals the knowledge that many professional Gunsmiths and Armorers possess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom