Does MD issue W&C permits to nonresidents?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lisa6821

Apr 1, 2013
    I'm currently living in Maryland and have a MD WC permit expiring in 2025, bought a home and moving to SC in April. SC will be my new home of record. There is no reciprocity between MD and SC. Will I be able to renew my MD permit in 2025 as a nonresident?

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Yes, FL resident here who just got my HGP.

One issue is that MD will only accept electronic fingerprinting from certain places in MD. Why, I have no idea. But, I don’t think you need fingerprinting for renewal. Not sure about class though. You may be traveling to MD for that.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Yes, FL resident here who just got my HGP.

One issue is that MD will only accept electronic fingerprinting from certain places in MD. Why, I have no idea. But, I don’t think you need fingerprinting for renewal. Not sure about class though. You may be traveling to MD for that.
    The class has to be given by someone on the MSP approved list. There‘s nothing stopping an instructor in, say, Florida from getting MD certified, or an existing MD-approved instructor traveling elsewhere to give classes. It’s just about demand and cost.

And since the prints have to be done in state, might as well get the class done in MD while you’re at it.

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    The class has to be given by someone on the MSP approved list. There‘s nothing stopping an instructor in, say, Florida from getting MD certified, or an existing MD-approved instructor traveling elsewhere to give classes. It’s just about demand and cost.

And since the prints have to be done in state, might as well get the class done in MD while you’re at it.
    Yup, did my prints on last visit to MD (kids live in our house there). Exempt from class (DD-214).

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    I'm currently living in Maryland and have a MD WC permit expiring in 2025, bought a home and moving to SC in April. SC will be my new home of record. There is no reciprocity between MD and SC. Will I be able to renew my MD permit in 2025 as a nonresident?

Yes. Just moved to SC the end of 2022 and plan on maintaining my QHIC status while living here. As long as I maintain my NRA instructor creds I can continue to teach the MD W&C down here and offer the renewal. I'm in Florence, but with your DD-214 you won't need it for MD.

BTW, SC CWP doesn't accept anyone else's one day training, but it's worth it to know SC law. Your DD-214 will exempt you from the range qualification, but you still need to attend the class and pass the written test. OTOH, SC is close to becoming constitutional carry so your call if you want to get one. Personally I think it's worth it for traveling: a SC permit gets you Florida too. SC just started accepting a MD W&C, but only if you're a MD resident.

Last edited:

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Training certificates are good for two years. If you need a training class, do it while you're still here, if your expiration falls within that time frame. Fingerprints aren't required for renewal, if I remember correctly. Photo is, but you can do that with your cell phone. All of this is, of course, subject to change, based on what comes out of that sausage factory known as the MGA.

Lisa6821

Apr 1, 2013
    Yes. Just moved to SC the end of 2022 and plan on maintaining my QHIC status while living here. As long as I maintain my NRA instructor creds I can continue to teach the MD W&C down here and offer the renewal. I'm in Florence, but with your DD-214 you won't need it for MD.

BTW, SC CWP doesn't accept anyone else's one day training, but it's worth it to know SC law. Your DD-214 will exempt you from the range qualification, but you still need to attend the class and pass the written test. OTOH, SC is close to becoming constitutional carry so your call if you want to get one. Personally I think it's worth it for traveling: a SC permit gets you Florida too. SC just started accepting a MD W&C, but only if you're a MD resident.
    We are moving to Florance also, I'm retired LE so I have LEOSA, but I like having the MD and SC permits, because you never know when the .Gov will want to make a change. One of my 1st tasks after new driver's license, is to find a local agency that conducts LEOSA. I plan on reaching out to you in a few weeks. Is there a SC version of the Maryland Shooter Forum ?

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    We are moving to Florance also, I'm retired LE so I have LEOSA, but I like having the MD and SC permits, because you never know when the .Gov will want to make a change. One of my 1st tasks after new driver's license, is to find a local agency that conducts LEOSA. I plan on reaching out to you in a few weeks. Is there a SC version of the Maryland Shooter Forum ?
    https://carolinafirearmsforum.com/index.php

Here ya go. And welcome to Florence, and America!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom