• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Picked up a Ruger Single Seven in 327 Fed Mag last month off of Gunbroker. Wasn't particularly looking for it just a late night no reserve auction that was worth a bid after a few beers. It is brand new with a serial number of 10000. A buddy told me I shouldn't shoot it because the serial number would make it valuable to a collector. Any truth to that?

Attachments

• 20200413_151247.jpg
      20200413_151247.jpg
      56.5 KB · Views: 565

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    How much will he give you for it over what you paid :innocent0

Personally, I do not have enough real estate in my safes for "non-shooters." :shrug:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Serial numbers matter to some buyers.

If it matters enough to you to find out how much it matters, put it up on GB with a ridiculous reserve, and see what people offer.

If you don't care one way or the other, and plan on keeping it, go and shoot it. Maybe you can make some money and buy a similar gun for less than you sell this one. If I was going to do that, I'd hold the gun until this disease stuff goes away, and people have money again.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    I don't want anything I am not going to shoot. If I thought it would matter to someone I would sell it to them and just buy another one. Leaning towards shooting it on Thursday if the weather is nice.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    How's the trigger. It's been a while since I've shot a Blackhawk, but IIRC it was pretty sweet.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Was the serial number posted in the auction? If so, plenty of people already know about it. It is probably worth about what you paid, since nobody outbid you for it. I'd shoot it and enjoy it.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Serial number wasn't in the auction but doesn't sound like it matters much so I am going to shoot it and enjoy. I never thought about it til my friend mentioned it. Thanks for the feedback.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The only time a random serial number meant anything to me was when my son, son-in-law and I assembled our first AR's. We ended up getting 3 consecutive numbers by chance. Unless a serial number signifies a first, last or some other significant milestone for that particular gun, I'd just shoot it.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    If there is a chance of increased value because of the serial number, not shooting it is important, and so is not even rotating the cylinder. The line that is scored around the cylinder because of rotation would take away even more value.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Not stressed over it. Never been that type of collector so figured I would ask. This is my first 327 so am looking forward to shooting it. Of course, if I end up not liking it I can always try the new serial number trick.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    If the number meant anything of value you would have most likely seen higher bids.

I bought a Ruger MkII 50th Anniversary Commemorative for a pretty good price. I have shot it because at 50,000 units...well collectibility isn’t high.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Not stressed over it. Never been that type of collector so figured I would ask. This is my first 327 so am looking forward to shooting it. Of course, if I end up not liking it I can always try the new serial number trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom