Does this Mauser make my Garand look fat?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Well, after almost forgetting I even had this little Brazilian Mauser for 23 or 24 years, I suppose it was time to take it to the range.

First a few rounds from the bench to see if it'll hit paper at 50 yards. I found by taking a "fine bead", that is, burying the front sight in the rear notch, I could put them in the 3" black at 50. I had expected it to hit a mile high, so that was good.

Made in Czechoslovakia about 75 years ago, caliber 7 x 57 Mauser.

Mauser 012 close up.jpg

So enough wasting ammo. I put up an SR-1 target at 100 yards, and set up to shoot some prone.

Mauser 013.jpg

Mauser 014.jpg

I still expected it to shoot high at 100. The sights only go down to 200 meters, so I actually put the bull down in the rear sight notch, with just a hint of that crude Mauser front sight showing below it at 6:00.

First shot...check through the scope...it was in the 10-ring, at 9:00! The next two shots went a bit high, but still in the black: two nines. Concentrating hard on that awkward fine-bead sight picture, I got another 10, a nine, finally one in the X ring.

It really seemed the little Mauser would not miss the black. It was amazing. Realize, at 100 yards, the black looks to be about the size of a pin-head. Well, finally on the last shot, I managed to put one in the white, just cutting the eight ring, and ending up with a 92-1x for ten rounds.

Well, I don't think I'm quite ready to sell this one just yet. I just can't get over what a delightful little rifle this thing is. It carries so naturally with one hand, perfectly balanced at the magazine. The bolt cycles smoothly, as if the rails were polished. The rounds strip effortlessly from the clips into the magazine. This little Brazilian is a sensual delight.

Which brings me to the question with which I titled this post:

Does this Mauser make my Garand look fat?

Mauser 016.jpg

Last edited:

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Funniest title I've seen for as long as I've been a member (not long, but still hilarious)!

and....not fat, just big-boned.

The Garand will never be usurped. The greatest battle implement ever devised. Fat or not, she does the job, and she does it well.

PING!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The Garand will never be usurped. ...

If only because of its long heavy op-rod, the Garand has an accuracy disadvantage compared to a Mauser. Still, the sights are so much better, I shot a 96- 4x from the sitting position right after taking that picture.

The Brazilian is a sexy little thing, though. I think she likes to be dominated by that big brutish Garand.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Yes

Americans are fat compared to Europeans.

So you were the one making all that noise yesterday when I was trying to shoot my steel targets?

I love my 1906 Brazilian Mauser

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Both are fine rifles. Seeing your comparison makes me want to get out my Garand and take some pics of it compared to the various mausers I have.

Just remember one fundamental point: "It ain't over till the fat lady sings!"
    :)

Ping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom