• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I may be. I've come close to having a bore snake jam in both a 7mm-08 and a .22 and was about to banish them from my cleaning kit. Then I stumbled over this very clever idea. Brilliant! I've just run a number of patches through my new CZ 455 Varmint and couldn't be happier with the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4zn__kercc

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Bore Snakes are a perishable item. I wouldn't use one more than 2-3 hears before discarding and replacing.

If one uses a Bore Snake they have to be sure they pull it straight or it will egg 9ut the crown and stress the Bore Snake material.

I use weed eater line in my classes to check for obstructions, but not for that purpose.

Its very easy for the patch to pull through and get lodged in the bore. A good rod and jag is the way to do it IMO.

The most important thi g to understand o is that people clean too often. Stop cleaning the bore so much. It's not needed unless the accuracy falls off.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I tried the weed wacker thing when I got my .22
    It did not clean well.
    Depending on the patch you use, you have to adjust the knot to get the right amount of pressure from the patch to the bore.
    I switched to Otis. You still have to acquire a "technique" on how much patch to pull through the hole. but I'm happy w/ it

Problem I have with my .22 bore snakes is that the black lead in rope is too thick. It resists the brass cylinder from falling in easy.

Cleaning is a sucky necessary evil

They sell a cheaper .22 only kit.
    When the little tube runs out, I refill with CLP. I just squeeze the tube then let go and suck more in.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    This is just one of many ways to clean the barrel of your rifle/handgun. There are bad/good and better ways to clean, but anything is better than nothing. Well not really, there are things that will hurt the barrel. This will do in a pinch, but wouldn't be my go to tool for cleaning.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    The most important thi g to understand o is that people clean too often. Stop cleaning the bore so much. It's not needed unless the accuracy falls off.

I've always wondered about this. My uncle has cleaned his 30-06 maybe a handful of times and he's been shooting that thing almost every hunting season since the 70's. The rifle looks rough but he still knocks down deer at 250+ yards. He just wipes it down a little and sets it back in the gun cabinet. I probably clean too much because I get paranoid about the bore rusting and pitting. /endhijack

I'd try this if I didn't just buy two stainless steel cleaning rods.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This is just one of many ways to clean the barrel of your rifle/handgun. There are bad/good and better ways to clean, but anything is better than nothing. Well not really, there are things that will hurt the barrel. This will do in a pinch, but wouldn't be my go to tool for cleaning.

Just improvise. Man up. :rolleyes:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I thought guns were illegal over there?

.22 caliber rifle shooting is big in the UK with a lot of restrictions.

FWIW-the Patchworm is a very good and cheap cleaning kit $10 for a kit ther does many many calibers. They also work for shot guns and pistols. Made in Westminster MD. Easily fit it a pocket. I keep one kit in my range bag and one at home.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I thought guns were illegal over there?

Gun laws being oppressive in Europe is highly exaggerated. Friend in Germany has a full auto under her bed. People like to differentiate the USA has a constitutional right, while Europeans have no such thing. They jump through less hoops to get a firearm than people in Maryland do to get a CCW. Easier to get a carry permit in Czech Republic than Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom