• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    Not that it really matters to almost anyone Im sure, but does anyone know the reasoning behind prohibiting guns other than two 10 gauge shotguns on dredge boats. I can understand , though I dont necessarily agree with, the other limitations on carrying. The dredge boat thing just seems so oddly specific and I would think it to be almost a non issue anyhow as most of us will never be on a dredge boat in our lifetime. Is this a relic law from years past that was just never removed from the books? Im thinking maybe thats it as the 10 gauge shotgun reference is somewhat outdated. Otherwise, if anyone knows differently, please let me know. Honestly I just curious.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Here is some interesting insight on the oyster wars.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Here is the actual cannon that was mounted on the oyster police boat:

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD

Thank you, very interesting.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

Wow, that's some amazing stuff. Thanks for posting that. Never knew it was that contentious.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Crab cops, geese police, deer dicks, fish fuzz

There is much much more to the Oyster Wars story including a Supreme Court case and PT boat vs PT boat on the Potomac River. I knew one of the guys who served on MD's boat, the McKeldin

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Great links above. Very neat to see just how recently this was still a problem.

For residents of Colonial Beach, on the Virginia side of the Potomac River, cat-and-mouse chases between the oyster-patrol boats and invading dredgers became a spectator sport. One Saturday night in December 1956, hundreds gathered to watch two Maryland police boats and a seaplane chase down Harvey King, a brazen Virginia oysterman caught dredging in Maryland waters. King spotted the law and rocketed off, dumping illicit oysters in his wake and employing an evasion pattern that “would have sparked the envy of men experienced in naval combat,” wrote Wennersten.

At one point during the 90-minute chase, King attempted to ram the seaplane. At another, the Virginia patrol boat attempted to ram the dredger. Maryland police fired rifles and pistols, some pocking the dredge, others splattering the shore where spectators crouched behind cars. Miraculously, no one was hurt, but the incident exacerbated the tension between Maryland and Virginia officials.

A few weeks later, a Maryland police boat rammed a Virginia dredger so hard the stern fell off.

The closing chapter of the oyster wars came on a misty morning in 1959 when King was spotted just before dawn dredging oysters in Maryland territory. The Maryland oyster police fired shots at the unarmed boat as it zoomed toward the Virginia shore. One bullet fatally wounded crew member Berkeley Muse, a popular Colonial Beach character.

By then, both states had had enough, and the battle resumed in the legislatures. An agreement was finally reached Dec. 5, 1962, aimed at maintaining peace and regulating the Potomac River fisheries. Signed by President John F. Kennedy, it signaled the end of the Chesapeake Bay oyster wars, although Maryland and Virginia still maintain “oyster navies,” now called marine patrols, to keep law and order on the bay.

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    Interesting "Oyster wars". The 50's were a difficult time for many to make ends meet. Not too shocking that poaching oysters would have occurred. Similar to "Salmon war" between US and Canadian fisherman.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Not that it really matters to almost anyone Im sure, but does anyone know the reasoning behind prohibiting guns other than two 10 gauge shotguns on dredge boats. I can understand , though I dont necessarily agree with, the other limitations on carrying. The dredge boat thing just seems so oddly specific and I would think it to be almost a non issue anyhow as most of us will never be on a dredge boat in our lifetime. Is this a relic law from years past that was just never removed from the books? Im thinking maybe thats it as the 10 gauge shotgun reference is somewhat outdated. Otherwise, if anyone knows differently, please let me know. Honestly I just curious.
    History of MD and VA Oyster wars

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Someone at NetFlix needs to get their teeth into this stuff.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    When I volunteered to raise oyster spat over one winter off a pier to help reestablishment of oyster reefs, they showed a brief historical documentary that said before the "invasion" of commercial oystermen from NY and elsewhere, the Bay had oyster reefs so large that boats ran aground on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom