• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5amhunt

Dark And Early
    Oct 10, 2014
    I know numbers have been low and migration is definitely going to be late one, so what your plan for the second split. Share your thoughts and suggestions for a warm November hunt and good luck every one!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Build blind this week. Hunt blind Saturday and hope for ducks. We're hunting big water Saturday so we'll see what happens. Some guys I hunt with went for youth day with their kids last weekend and said the geese wouldn't even circle or pay them any attention. The winter wheat is already like 6 inches tall so if we get some snow this year the fields could be killer especially for late season snows. Current snowfall/frost line up north is non existent right now so we're gonna need a good cold front to move good numbers of birds down here. I have seen a few groups of 30-40 Canada migrators in the last few days but no ducks yet.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I have to choose between hunting a noctural buck I've been tracking or being in the duck blind at dawn. I'll probably go join my buddies in the blind for the evening. My spot is in the Lower Potomac. I saw some ruddies and a few other diving ducks coming in last weekend. The geese are starting to show up, too. I told my friend we can hunt ducks if he really wants, but it will probably be more like the two of us sitting in the blind chatting all morning.

Is Ltown Leonardtown? I'm not far from there.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I booked a sea duck hunt last year for tomorrow. I have a bad feeling its going to be an expensive boat ride.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Shore blind. But like I said, I think I'm going to get in the deer stand instead. It seems like duck hunting is never really worth the effort until mid-late December. Would you agree?

_JT_

Jan 30, 2009
    Cecil County
    Need to get the blind setup on the boat, if that fails I may just break out the kayak. Things don't tend to get going until later in the season on my property. Stinks geese aren't in as there is roughly 100 or more feeding on the grasses every time I go out.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Shore blind. But like I said, I think I'm going to get in the deer stand instead. It seems like duck hunting is never really worth the effort until mid-late December. Would you agree?

All depends on your spot. But yeah I wish they would cut the first split and add it to the end so we got into feb.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Yeah, I'm only out on the bigger water. Maybe it would be different if I had access to small creeks or wet fields. But when those creeks freeze and it's a bit of a rainy/snowy day, it's on.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Our 2 spots on the choptank on either side of Denton are looking barren. My Buddie is scouting our spot next to blackwater tomorrow. He got down there a little late today but saw plenty of green wing teal still, some gadwalls, and wigeon.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    I'll be out there.

Looks like Friday a cold front moves in which should help. I was hoping this rain would hold off though. Maybe it'll actually move ducks back north. :lol2:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    What is your favorite waterfowl meat?

Maybe everyone will have their own opinion. Maybe not.

For me, nothing beats a goose. I put a goose on a Green Egg smoker last year a few hours after shooting it and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    What is your favorite waterfowl meat?

Maybe everyone will have their own opinion. Maybe not.

For me, nothing beats a goose. I put a goose on a Green Egg smoker last year a few hours after shooting it and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

I've smoked 2 canadas and both came out terrible. I like to grill them or turn them into jerky. Favorite has to be mallard. But sandhill crane was pretty damn good too. Tastes like goose but different.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    To prevent drying the geese out, try smoking them on low heat and only for about 90-100 minutes. Cook the whole bird, not just the breasts. Give them a good coating of salt/pepper/Old Bay mix and let sit for an hour at room temperature. The salt will help keep the moisture in the bird and by cooking them at room temperature you'll be able to cook them for less time. Then smoke it with the lowest heat possible. Then leave covered in foil for 20 minutes before slicing. They will be medium rare and delicious. Give it another try. You won't regret it.

Another option that I have not tried with a goose would be to do the beer can method. I've done that on chicken dozens of times, but there is no way for a goose to fit vertically in my smoker.

5amhunt

Dark And Early
    Oct 10, 2014
    Does any one spray there decoys with a clear coating to keep the paint longer and for less fading in the sun ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom