• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jorjohn11

Feb 26, 2006
    Anne Arundel County
    I shot in a high power match this weekend and had a dud primer. I just bought a brick of 1000 primers last month. They were CCI 400 small rifle. I've read on some of the other forums that others were experiencing the same issue. Anyone else had a problem recently? I wonder if quality is being overlooked to get quantity since it seems everyone is buying up all they can find. I've been reloading for over 35 years and have only had a dud this one time. I'm glad that it happened in the slow prone stage instead of one of the rapid stages.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I had my first dud primer ever in the last batch I reloaded. They were CCI 200 primers.

I know Mike had a dud this Sunday at the F-Class match. Not sure what primers he is using.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    I have a 1000 CCI 200 primers I bought two years ago that are junk.
    Several duds so far and lots of hang fires 5%.
    CCI is my last choice for regular primers. I am sure the BR primers are fine.

Bought some 450's this spring because thats all that was available, they are fine.

(FS: CCI 200 primers $1.00 per 100) 8 boxes available

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Thats odd. I would estimate that I have used around 6-7000 CCI primers of various flavors (large rifle, pistol and small pistol) and have never had a single failure.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Dud primers just happen sometimes. If you reload long enough, you will encounter them. I have tried to stick to Federal BR primers for all my accuracy-loaded rifle ammo, and i don't recall ever having a dud or slow-fire. However, I am a total primer whore when it comes to pistol ammo and will buy whatever is available, and maybe once or twice a year I get a dud (~10k rounds). Tap-rack-bang, and never give it a second thought. Right now, I have federal, remington, and CCI large and small pistol primers, but I have never made note if one brand has more duds than another.
    Like the others mentioned, if the rifle match matters, your chance of having a dud with good BR primers is really low, and as such is probably worth the added expense.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I mainly use CCI primers and have yet to have a dud or hang fire with them.

how do you all store your primers and what do you use to load them into the case?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Dud primers just happen sometimes. If you reload long enough, you will encounter them...
    QFT. I had a dud a few weeks ago and it was the first one in many years.

BTW, there are other things to check when this happens:

1) Did it fire on the second strike? If so, you may not be seating them firmly enough against the bottom of the primer pocket.
    2) How deep is the dent? If shallow, you're rifle may be at fault, see #1 above or you may be resizing cases too aggressively and creating a headspace condition that allows the cartridge to drop too deeply into the chamber.
    3) Did you dismantle the unfired round? Was there tumbling media or other debris blocking the flash hole?
    4) Are you using any sort of internal lube or solvent that may have been left behind in enough mass to kill the primer?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

1) Did it fire on the second strike? If so, you may not be seating them firmly enough against the bottom of the primer pocket.
    2) How deep is the dent? If shallow, you're rifle may be at fault, see #1 above or you may be resizing cases too aggressively and creating a headspace condition that allows the cartridge to drop too deeply into the chamber.
    3) Did you dismantle the unfired round? Was there tumbling media or other debris blocking the flash hole?
    4) Are you using any sort of internal lube or solvent that may have been left behind in enough mass to kill the primer?

:goodpost:

Last edited:

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Only had one Dud primer in a long time. I was shooting 50 cal black powder
    a few weeks ago. 209 primers. wouldn't go bang at all.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I can't recall a single dud primer from any major brand in over 20 years of reloading - but it will happen sooner or later. No manufacturing QC process is 100% perfect.

how do you all store your primers and what do you use to load them into the case?

In an indoor cabinet (not in my gun safe) - in a cool, dry place - in their original packaging - separate and away from any powder, ammo, sources of heat, dust, lint, dirt, Beagle hair and/or children.

Personally I still use a Lee hand priming tool. It takes longer than press mounted systems, but I can feel the nuances and differences of each case I prime - from .380's to 7.62x54r's. Over the many years, I've learned properly seating the primer in a clean unubstructed pocket reduces a risk of issues and problems when the round is fired.

:thumbsup: (E.Shell's good, isn't he?)

In reloading (as in any other facet of the shooting sport), safety is first and foremost. A FTF (or any other issue that arises) must be thoroughly investigated and understood. You need to know "why it happened" and correct any flaws or issues in your reloading process before shooting further. If it's an issue with a gun or a component you need to know. It's not only for your own safety, but for those anywhere near you when you discharge a reloaded cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom