• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • david2260

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Ocean View DE
    Dear Mr. Gormley,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your thoughts on the Second Amendment. I must tell you, for the record, you are preaching to the choir. I am a former active duty Marine, a gun collector and shooter. I am also a concealed handgun permit holder, an NRA member, NRA Certified Instructor, possess an A+ Legislative rating from the NRA, and have been awarded Legislator of the Year by Maryland Shall Issue.

I sit on the House Judiciary Committee and am one of the leading 2nd Amendment advocates in the Legislature. I have worked very hard over the years to both support positive 2A legislation and defeat that which seeks to infringe upon our rights.

SB 281 and HB 294 are absolutely politically motivated and have nothing whatsoever to do with trying to stop the use of firearms. These bills also do nothing to address the use of guns by those who have a mental dysfunction or who are criminally inclined. Criminals who want to obtain and use firearms illegally will still be able to do so under SB 281 and HB 294.

Efforts should be focused on identifying and correcting mental health problems, not on taking away rights from law abiding citizens. My proposed legislation, House Bill 38, will repeal the requirement of a “good and substantial reason to carry,” and will not provide a permit to those who “exhibited a propensity for violence or instability that may reasonably render the person’s possession of a handgun a danger to the person or to another.”

House Bill 38 will also prevent those who have been convicted of a “crime involving the possession, use, or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance” or is not “presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance unless the habitual use of the controlled dangerous substance is under legitimate medical direction” from obtaining a concealed carry permit.

Rest assured that I will take whatever steps I can to protect our Second Amendment rights here in Maryland. You can read the full text of House Bill 38 at the address above.

If you ever have any specific questions please feel free to contact me at 410-841-3555 . Because of the large volume of emails from supporters of the Second Amendment, I cannot answer individual questions via email but if you'd like a specific answer please call my office directly.

Yours in Public Service,

Delegate Michael D. Smigiel, Sr
    District 36-Upper Shore
    Office: 410-841-3555

wklohr

Stand Ye Steady!
    Jul 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I received this same reply when I snail mailed all the members of both judiciary committees on both sides, House and Senate. He was the only member kind enough to produce a signed, wet ink reply.

How loud do we have to speak to the others to get the democracy that is our right as human beings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom