• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Since Andy mentioned it while I was placing a pre-order, I think it's something worth repeating:

Get 5.45 ammo NOW and in quantity. The second half is already done for you since spam cans are big and contain cheap, high quality ammo (though corrosive). Since Obama and his followers have already shown a willingness to meddle with surplus firearm importation, it is a very real possibility that we could see bans or new red tape on ammo, especially military surplus ammo. Aside from Hornaday's rather pricey 5.45 (over 50 cents a round despite being steel case and would likely skyrocket in price if ammo availability became an issue), there aren't any domestic manufacturers.

The good news? 5.45 AKs are much less prevalent than 7.62 AKs, which means that you shouldn't have as much trouble finding cheap ammo.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    After all the interest in 74's I was thinking of selling one of my two. A Romanian CUR2, I've had it for years and haven't shot it in over ten years. Blasted 150rds through it and decided it's too fun to sell.
    If you're on the fence on a 74 go ahead and jump.

Attachments

• DSCN0454.jpg
      DSCN0454.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 603

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    For what it is worth, I went in and did all the paperwork on the receiver early this week, just to make sure I am covered even if they don't finish the builds before October 1. Anybody who has not done that yet should go do it. They are so incredibly busy right now with everybody rushing to get one last thing, etc. I am sure they will not have every one of them done in the next two weeks or whatever. It sounded to me like a number of them won't be delivered until early October.

I would love to get mine tomorrow, but I would rather they take the time to do the job right and ultimately give me something I can enjoy for a long time. It is not like we are going to be able to sell these things off and just buy another one if they aren't right. This is something we are going to have for a long time.

I'm honestly not at all worried about it - everything I've seen tells me those guys don't have slap-dash-crap in their DNA, they want to put out a quality product because they know their reputation depends on delivering the goods and they seem to take real pride in what they do for a living. They aren't going to rush the builds, they'll do them right.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Since Andy mentioned it while I was placing a pre-order, I think it's something worth repeating:

Get 5.45 ammo NOW and in quantity.

Yes. There is almost no domestic ammo produced for the 74, and what is produced here is incredibly expensive. The 5.45 spam cans of corrosive ammo, Russian 7N6, are much much cheaper than either 5.56 or 7.62 now.

Russian/US relations aren't exactly warm and fuzzy right now and who knows what Obama might do through executive action.

If I could, I would buy all of the ammo I will ever shoot out of it this month. I can't quite afford that, but I have already bought a pile of it and will be buying more as soon as funds allow.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I purchased my first AK in 1986 and have seen 7.62x39 come and go over the years. I suspect the same could happen with 5.45, most if not all surplus 5.45 comes from Eastern Europe (Poland , Bulgaria) and the Ukraine, not Russia. That’s where the new production comes from, if that closes up, and I don’t think that will happen, they like our money, some other ex-commie nation will pick up the slack.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I purchased my first AK in 1986 and have seen 7.62x39 come and go over the years. I suspect the same could happen with 5.45, most if not all surplus 5.45 comes from Eastern Europe (Poland , Bulgaria) and the Ukraine, not Russia. That’s where the new production comes from, if that closes up, and I don’t think that will happen, they like our money, some other ex-commie nation will pick up the slack.

IF they're allowed to pick up the slack. I have some Norinco 7.62 ammo that I got cheap at a "big pile of junk" table at a gun show. I put aside a box as a historical curiosity - it's illegal to import now.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    When I got my first 74 in 1997 the talk on the net was "what if they stop importing ammo". that was 15 years ago and it's still being imported.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    If you can afford to buy it now, the only reason not to is you think it will be cheaper later, or you can't store it.

Given what 5.56 costs now, i am liking 19 cents a round for 5.45. I am hoping it drops a little bit in 6 months or so, but I don't think the spam cans for $135 or whatever they used to be is coming back.

So I am buying some now, and will buy some more in a few months, when it will probably cost about the same, possibly less.

After the recent ammo scare, I really don't want to find out in a year or two that the ammo is suddenly $1 a round. It is cheap enough now that you can lay a bunch in and make sure you are covered no matter what happens. I'm not going to have pallets of the stuff, but there is really no reason not to have say 10 or 15k rounds laid up if you can swing it. After all, I need it for the zombie apocalypse anyway.:)

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Not to mention that you can buy a 5.45 upper for an AR and use anything you don't feed to your AK-74.

Pkf655

Dec 16, 2012
    Are these sold out?

And second can we request a folding stock or type of wood if we are willing to wait?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Andy:
    Please check your PMs and e-mail. I'm trying to buy an EA-74. I can pay immediately, but can't do paperwork until the 30th...being in California on travel at the moment. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom