• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • widderic

Straight Shooter
    Oct 19, 2020
    Baltimore City
    My ears are weird. I can't wear air pods or ear plugs. They just fall right out. I've only been able to use over ear for headphones/ear protection.

But as we know, just some headphones aren't great for shooting ARs. It's still way too loud for me.

Are there alternatives I can use? I'd like to be able to wear something that goes into my inner ear while also being able to comfortable wear over ear protection.

Thank you.

RennBaer

Aug 16, 2022
    NY-istan
    Do you have issues wearing regular foam earplugs? If so, are you sure that you're inserting them correctly? There's a proper technique to inserting them correctly. Many people that I see use foam earplugs aren't inserting them into their ears properly.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****You can have custom ear plugs made using a substance that literally is molded in your ear itself and will not fall out. My local range has/had a lady that would come by a couple of times per year to our membership meetings for members to have them made. I think she charged $50 for the pair, and it included a little storage case, etc..

No doubt there are others who offer this service perhaps near your area. This lady was in Damascus.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Do you have issues wearing regular foam earplugs? If so, are you sure that you're inserting them correctly? There's a proper technique to inserting them correctly. Many people that I see use foam earplugs aren't inserting them into their ears properly.

This. When I learned the proper way to use foam plugs, it was night and day.

3M video on the proper way to use foam plugs

OP, foam plugs come in different shapes and sizes so you may need to try a few types. I hate the hard foam or rubber plugs. I like the softer type foam type. Comfortable and very good protection.

This plug is sold under different brand names but I have found them to be the best for me. The shape is unique so I look for the shape regardless of who markets them. Before Dicks ate a bag of themselves, they sold them in bulk tubes. I’m almost out and need to order some more.

ETA: I think my ear canals are in the medium to smaller side. I find the larger plugs more difficult to insert properly.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    ****You can have custom ear plugs made using a substance that literally is molded in your ear itself and will not fall out. My local range has/had a lady that would come by a couple of times per year to our membership meetings for members to have them made. I think she charged $50 for the pair, and it included a little storage case, etc..

No doubt there are others who offer this service perhaps near your area. This lady was in Damascus.
    I wish I could find her again. I need a new pair.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

This. Get custom silicone earplugs made. Better sound reduction than almost anything else. You can even double up and wear muffs on top of them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Amazon product ASIN B002XULPSQ

Amazon product ASIN B09QLPH7TY

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Have you tried different over the ear protection? My Sordins don't really get in the way of my rifle shooting.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I really like Macks shooting ear plugs: https://www.macksearplugs.com/product/shooting-ear-seals-ear-plugs/
    I wet them 1st and slide them in. After they’ve been used you need to clean them a bit to get the ear wax build up off. Warm soapy water. I keep a brand new pair in every rifle case & backpack I own. I wear them at concerts and for power tool use too.
    That is what I use. Works great, they don't fall out. If anything I tend Yank the cord on them without dislodging the ear plug and have to fish it out of my ear.

They also work great if you need ear plugs for swimming (I get swimmers ear easily as well as plugged ears from water, so I tend to wear ear plugs when swimming).

Power tools and using my log splitter I use some similar cheapies from China I bought from Amazon. A 50 pack for like $30. Since I am constantly losing or damaging them often enough I don't want to spend $10-20 in ear plugs a year replacing nicer ones when the cheapies, though they don't work quite as well, the 50 pack is probably going to last me 10-15 years.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I really like Macks shooting ear plugs: https://www.macksearplugs.com/product/shooting-ear-seals-ear-plugs/
    I wet them 1st and slide them in. After they’ve been used you need to clean them a bit to get the ear wax build up off. Warm soapy water. I keep a brand new pair in every rifle case & backpack I own. I wear them at concerts and for power tool use too.

These . This type is also made by several other companies .

If your ear canal has tight spots , or sharp angles , even the foam plugs are difficult to use . These " pine tree shaped " ones are most forgiving .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have you tried different over the ear protection? My Sordins don't really get in the way of my rifle shooting.
    The problems I've always had with 'cans' is, they cause my shooting glasses to lift off my nose. Even worse when shooting a rifle.
    Now with carbines, I use high red dot mounts, allowing me good heads up shooting(more of a chin/jaw weld than a cheek weld) so not as bad, but still not good. I would like to try some Sordins, but I ain't spending the money just to find out they come with the same problem.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The problems I've always had with 'cans' is, they cause my shooting glasses to lift off my nose. Even worse when shooting a rifle.
    Now with carbines, I use high red dot mounts, allowing me good heads up shooting(more of a chin/jaw weld than a cheek weld) so not as bad, but still not good. I would like to try some Sordins, but I ain't spending the money just to find out they come with the same problem.

****You can borrow a pair of mine if you ever come to any of our Practical Defense Shoots, or Bowling Pin Shoots at the range. The Sordins have a remarkably small profile that doesn't interfere when I am shooting the carbines while enjoying carbos, etc.. and they do a great job of muting the really loud sounds from guns, inlaws, screeching liberal harpies, etc.. while allowing one to shoot with them (the guns, not the harpies) on for several hours if needed.

Remarkably comfortable with the gel cups, and they have really good directional microphones so you can hear people/ninjas sneaking up to you perhaps trying to garrote you, etc..

They could save your life in addition to your hearing!

IMG_8020.jpg
    IMG_8019.jpg

This. When I learned the proper way to use foam plugs, it was night and day.

3M video on the proper way to use foam plugs

OP, foam plugs come in different shapes and sizes so you may need to try a few types. I hate the hard foam or rubber plugs. I like the softer type foam type. Comfortable and very good protection.

This plug is sold under different brand names but I have found them to be the best for me. The shape is unique so I look for the shape regardless of who markets them. Before Dicks ate a bag of themselves, they sold them in bulk tubes. I’m almost out and need to order some more.

ETA: I think my ear canals are in the medium to smaller side. I find the larger plugs more difficult to insert properly.

This is the truth.
    Everyone should watch the above video.
    Howard Leight FTW...
    Amazon product ASIN B0013A0C0Y

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    My ears are weird. I can't wear air pods or ear plugs. They just fall right out. I've only been able to use over ear for headphones/ear protection.

But as we know, just some headphones aren't great for shooting ARs. It's still way too loud for me.

Are there alternatives I can use? I'd like to be able to wear something that goes into my inner ear while also being able to comfortable wear over ear protection.

Thank you.
    Triple flange is used by the military because if properly inserted can be used most everyone.

widderic

Straight Shooter
    Oct 19, 2020
    Baltimore City
    Well you learn something knew everyday. Turns out I was just not inserting them correctly. The larger stiffer ones were touch for me to roll down to size, but I got some foam ones that ended up staying in my ears without falling out.

I got a pair of the triple flange as well and they work incredibly.
    Thank you everyone for your replies I truly appreciate it! I feel like I just leveled up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom