• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I was inspired by the carry setup thread, and in a quick search I couldn't find anything that wasn't already long dead. I've never been much of an EDC pack kind of person, but more and more I'm thinking that it's a good idea to have. I think this would be a cool thread to keep alive for product feedback, EDC pack outs and of course cool pics. I feel like when I start, I'm going to end up throwing the kitchen sink at it, and have a stuffed pack. Hopefully over time, we can all help each other build out efficient and effective setups.

I've been doing some research and there are a lot of "Not paid for" ads on the Vertx bags such as the Gamut and the Ready Pack 2.0. They seem like pretty good bags and reasonably priced. I like that they are not necessarily "tactical", but do have the options for bullet proof plates and CCW. I do not intend to rely on the bag for CCW, that will remain on my person, but I like the option.

I've also read some really great stuff on GoRuck bags, in particular the GR1 and GR2. They are significantly more pricey, but hand made in the US with a lifetime repair warranty. All the bags look pretty tactical, which I also like, but for EDC maybe I'd like to be more incognito. Also, there doesn't appear to be accommodations for CCW, in the event a backpack is just more suitable. I think that I am leaning toward this because: America, and I think the bag dimensions are a little more conducive to EDC.

What say you!?

Thanks!

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Thanks -- I took a look. I wasn't really looking for a get home bag. I'm looking for a bag that I will have with me everyday, on my back or at my desk while at work. Things like first aid, flashlight, knife, notebooks, laptops/tablets etc. Maybe extra space for a quick change of clothes if needed. Not looking at this like a survival bag - more of like a daily essentials and a just in case, boo boo bag haha. I keep first aid in my truck and it's come in handy more than a couple times, but it's not always convenient to get to the truck.

If this isn't worth it's own thread, all good. I can go try to start things up in that thread, or start a new one in preppers.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Not saying VertX bags are bad, in fact they are good quality for what they are. My org has worked with them a lot to develop good options.

What I will say is that when I see one of them, I know exactly what it is and am immediately interested in the person and what they might have in that bag. That is guilty knowledge and will not apply to all situations, but I could see situations where security guards or police take more notice than one would prefer based on having a non tactical looking but still extremely recognizable pack that is well known for having features conducive to off body concealed carry of firearms.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Not saying VertX bags are bad, in fact they are good quality for what they are. My org has worked with them a lot to develop good options.

What I will say is that when I see one of them, I know exactly what it is and am immediately interested in the person and what they might have in that bag. That is guilty knowledge and will not apply to all situations, but I could see situations where security guards or police take more notice than one would prefer based on having a non tactical looking but still extremely recognizable pack that is well known for having features conducive to off body concealed carry of firearms.
    That's a great point, I never would have thought of it that way. Thank you!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I was going to go with a vertx gamut 2.0 to replace my aging rush 24, but stumbled on the alpha one nicer packs. I think this is going to be the one I'm going for. The gamut looks to be cool for carrying a short 300blk, but it gives up a lot of everyday function to make that a reality.

The alpha one nicer packs seem to offer way more in terms of layout and build quality, especially for lugging around a laptop.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Anyone familiar with the backpack that you can pull over your head and turn in to a bullet resistant vest? I can't recall the name for all trying

Edit: found an example

Last edited:

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Anyone familiar with the backpack that you can pull over your head and turn in to a bullet resistant vest? I can't recall the name for all trying

Edit: found an example

Is it the Leatherback Gear series?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Is it the Leatherback Gear series?

Must be a few types

I'm trying to find someone with real world experience with one of these to know if it's a gimmick or not. Everything looks easy to use in a video

Carrying a pack daily wouldn't bug me. Hell of a lot easier to stash a handgun in too.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    That's a great point, I never would have thought of it that way. Thank you!
    No worries! I will say that Vertx has finally taken that exact feedback seriously, and has removed most of the giant Vertx branding from their lineup. Some packs still have it, but you can get much more subdued options now. They even have canvas options closer to what you’d see from Filson.

The issue with the first couple generations was that the branding and marketing people took what the R&D folks built and put their nod and wink X logo all over it. At which point it turned into more of a situation where folks were spending $100-$300 to fool themselves and think they were being sneaky vice actually keeping a low profile. I get it, they were really proud of the product and wanted it to stand out, but that is antithetical to the whole concept of a low profile off body carry option. Thankfully they took the come to Jesus talk seriously and seem to be coming around.

Onto the topic of EDC, my suggestion would be to keep the pack reasonably sized, and try to have your edc stuff contained in small organizer pouches and in specific pockets. That way you have room to use the bag to carry normal stuff too, and can open it and access things without the risk of your tourniquet/multi tool/paracord tangled birds nest plopping onto the ground into a big ball of ate up.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Must be a few types

I'm trying to find someone with real world experience with one of these to know if it's a gimmick or not. Everything looks easy to use in a video

Carrying a pack daily wouldn't bug me. Hell of a lot easier to stash a handgun in too.
    Yeah. You don't need a backpack/vest combo. The time you spend donning that thing is time you can spend moving and drawing.
    It looks easy in the video because the guy is not being shot at.
    And if you think you'd ever need a vest like this, might as well buy a concealable vest and wear it when you go out.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I was going to go with a vertx gamut 2.0 to replace my aging rush 24, but stumbled on the alpha one nicer packs. I think this is going to be the one I'm going for. The gamut looks to be cool for carrying a short 300blk, but it gives up a lot of everyday function to make that a reality.

The alpha one nicer packs seem to offer way more in terms of layout and build quality, especially for lugging around a laptop.
    I think I've looked at every single back pack brand web page known to man. Have you noticed that the majority of them don't have pictures of the inside/pockets? I mean, that's the important part.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Yeah. You don't need a backpack/vest combo. The time you spend donning that thing is time you can spend moving and drawing.
    It looks easy in the video because the guy is not being shot at.
    And if you think you'd ever need a vest like this, might as well buy a concealable vest and wear it when you go out.
    Do you believe drawing from a pack like that is substantively slower or more difficult than drawing from an IWB holster?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Do you believe drawing from a pack like that is substantively slower or more difficult than drawing from an IWB holster?
    Drawing from a pack is significantly slower than drawing from IWB in most situations.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I think I've looked at every single back pack brand web page known to man. Have you noticed that the majority of them don't have pictures of the inside/pockets? I mean, that's the important part.
    Yeah, that can be frustrating. I do like that there are plenty of people and groups putting detailed reviews out though.

And the pathfinder...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yeah. I don't even consider it "drawing". I look at it more like having to "access" the pistol first and then draw.
    Have you tried out the gamut 2.0 and checkpoint? It seems like the checkpoint is narrower but taller, with more weight at the top vs the gamut 2.0. I was wondering how those differences play out in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom