• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Separate post for Separate discussion .

Functionality? One of the better BP forums ( now defunct) actually had some straight face discussion and research on this , albeit more in context of Home Defense than CCW .

Yes , an 1858 Remington or 1860 Colt is just as effective a Felon Reppelent as 150 years ago , and a few anecdotal accounts of such were mentioned.

Several of the posters had actually conducted experiments of leaving of leaving C&B guns/ cylinders loaded for extended time periods, and then shooting. Usually they went bang months or even year plus later . ( This is stored in the home , not carried out , exposed to rain , snow , sweat, etc ).

Baseline of having topped the learning curve of care , feeding, and operation.

Best practices include very tight ball fit , with even ring of shaved off lead , and either candle wax or clear fingernail polish over the cap/ nipple junction . And avoid a lubed wad between ball and powder charge .

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    If you had a Wear & Carry, I think it would be legal. If you did not have a Wear & Carry...don't. Just don't. You might be able to win the criminal case, but I doubt it. But the attempt would give MGA just the reason to consider black powder firearms as modern.

Meaning that the custom guns I have on order get to play roster reindeer games. I will NOT be happy about that.

On top of this, one advantage cartridge guns have is that you can unload them easily. There is no administrative unloading of muzzle-loading arms.
    Been done before, wasn't successful (that time.) Some dumbass in then-Del Dumais' district used a BP revolver to kill his ex-girlfriend, prompting the delegate to submit her dumbass bill for exacctly that. Never made it out of committee.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    Good discussion, so i heard back from MSP who stated BP are not a firearm hence do not fall under any firearm laws BUT MAY fall under ‘dangerous weapon’ category which is out of their purvey, contact a lawyer.
    So i followed up, looked at the ‘dangerous weapons’ law which is VERY specific as to what qualifies as a DW and BP are not listed.
    So here what I gather as bigfoot said. You can carry an 1849 baby dragoon, and may spend time in a holding cell until a good lawyer and a judge deemed you broke no laws.
    You go first, let me know how it works out.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    4-101 (Dangerous Weapons) is simultaneously very specific And very vague as to what is covered .

The objects specifically listed are presumptively and automatically considered Dangerous Weapons . For example , rifles , shotguns , fixed blade knives , Automatic knives , etc .

But * ANYTHING* can circumstantially be considered a DW , in the context of intent to ( something ) . In the case law ( something ) is all over the place . Sometimes leaning to commiting a crime , sometimes more generally for " violent purposes " .

Carried Openly - Strong defense to be acquitted , unless you have evil intent

Carried Concealed - Your lawyer would have to attempt to show that your Baby or Grandaddy Dragoon was not capable of f'ing someone up . Good luck with that .

The Biggfoot Advice is to carry your C&B ( or otherwise Antique ) Roscoe in the same manner and circumstances as you would openly carry your saber , bowie knife , broadsword , battleaxe , etc .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom