• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    Thanks to the Howard County Gun Show today, I'm an Eddystone closer to my goal. Only two left!

IMG_3881.jpg

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Now you just need one of these:

french-1766-charleville-infantry-musket-saguaro-arms.jpg

Or at least you do by my guess of what your'e going for.

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    Nice flintlock, Hawkeye, but not one of the two I'm after. iH8DemLibz is right on the Krag. I also want a ww1 serial numbered 1903. I'm going for steel and walnut service rifles from the Indian Wars through through Korea. Civil war rifles are cool but that opens up a whole other can of worms (a collection unto itself). Of course, I'd like an M14 but I figure I'd avoid that hassle and stop at the m1s. After the Krag and 1903, I'll start in on carbine variations, etc. Ugh, some of those Krag and Trapdoor carbines are pricey though (sheesh!). Thanks for looking.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Nice flintlock, Hawkeye, but not one of the two I'm after.

Thanks, and my guess on what you were going for was only a guess.

Civil war rifles

Wrong war, and it's a musket, not a rifle. ;)

That's a 1766 Charleville, and it was basically the first "official" military small arm of the USA. We were in a tough way for weapons for the Continental Army during the revolution, and the French came to our rescue. They had tons of '66 Charlevilles, and they sent them our way (through a shell corporation and by shipping them to the West Indies and some other chicanery - they basically had to "launder" them to hide the fact they were supplying us from the Brits).

We armed the Continental Army with them, and won the war. The Charleville was so important and we used so many of them that it became the basis for the design of every one of our own muskets and rifles afterword. The first Springfield musket was basically a copy of the Charleville, and you can see its influence right through the '03 Springfield with the metal bands held in place by leaf springs.

Geekery over. :)

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    Thanks, and my guess on what you were going for was only a guess.

Wrong war, and it's a musket, not a rifle. ;)

That's a 1766 Charleville, and it was basically the first "official" military small arm of the USA. We were in a tough way for weapons for the Continental Army during the revolution, and the French came to our rescue. They had tons of '66 Charlevilles, and they sent them our way (through a shell corporation and by shipping them to the West Indies and some other chicanery - they basically had to "launder" them to hide the fact they were supplying us from the Brits).

We armed the Continental Army with them, and won the war. The Charleville was so important and we used so many of them that it became the basis for the design of every one of our own muskets and rifles afterword. The first Springfield musket was basically a copy of the Charleville, and you can see its influence right through the '03 Springfield with the metal bands held in place by leaf springs.

Geekery over. :)

Cool information. I figured it was a modern take on a Brown Bess or something. As for the Civil War thing, I wasn't confused. I was just mentioning that I'm stopping going back in time at the trapdoor as the civil war would be an entire collection unto itself. I've always wanted a flintlock (mostly for a unique hunting experience). Much to learn before going there, though. Gun geekery appreciated.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What is your goal?

Mine is 20th Century US Military Rifles. I have an Eddystone and 03 on the way to fill out the collection:

Krag M1896
    Springfield 1903 (on the way)
    Eddystone M1917 (on the way)
    03A3
    M1 Garand
    M1 Carbine
    M1A (close as I can get non-NFA wise)
    AR15 A2 (close as I can get non-NFA wise)
    AR15 A4 (close as I can get non-NFA wise)
    AR15 M4 (close as I can get non-NFA wise)

I need to order an M16 A1 kit and an 80% receiver (there is a guy making M16A1 copies, properly marked). Of course, cannot make this one until I leave MD.

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    What is your goal?

Mine is 20th Century US Military Rifles. I have an Eddystone and 03 on the way to fill out the collection:

Krag M1896
    Springfield 1903 (on the way)
    Eddystone M1917 (on the way)
    03A3
    M1 Garand
    M1 Carbine
    M1A (close as I can get non-NFA wise)
    AR15 A2 (close as I can get non-NFA wise)
    AR15 A4 (close as I can get non-NFA wise)
    AR15 M4 (close as I can get non-NFA wise)

I need to order an M16 A1 kit and an 80% receiver (there is a guy making M16A1 copies, properly marked). Of course, cannot make this one until I leave MD.

You're ambitious! I'm going to stop at walnut and steel; I may even skip the M1A (for sure as long as I live here, anyway). For now, the goal is to fill in the holes (Krag and 1903 Springfield). Next immediate goal is to stock up on more 30-06 Ball. Haven't seen any of that Greek stuff for sale for some time now. Hope it's not drying up completely.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    You need an 03A1 as well for completeness. Then you can look for the elusive Peterson device. Save your nickels and dimes. :)

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    My wallet is screaming! I hope I live long enough to add all of those rifles to the safe. Last I saw, a Johnson will set a guy back at least $5000.00. The Thompson is outrageously priced too! I'd better stick with the Krag for now...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You're ambitious! I'm going to stop at walnut and steel; I may even skip the M1A (for sure as long as I live here, anyway). For now, the goal is to fill in the holes (Krag and 1903 Springfield). Next immediate goal is to stock up on more 30-06 Ball. Haven't seen any of that Greek stuff for sale for some time now. Hope it's not drying up completely.

1) Polytech M14 is legal in MD. :)

2) CMP still has Greek HXP. You need to meet their requirements (and while you are at it, you can get another Garand or two :) ).

You are limited to 2000 rounds per year.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You need an 03A1 as well for completeness. Then you can look for the elusive Peterson device. Save your nickels and dimes. :)

Mine is actually a Mark 1, which has the cut out in the stock for the Pedersen (not Peterson) device.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And an M1895 6mm Lee Navy, 1941 Johnson, M50 Reising, Springfield Model 1922, and more.

I am sticking with rifles, and battle (not training) rifles.. That cuts out the Reising and Thompson and Grease Gun.

I would love to get a Johnson.

The M1895 Lee Navy would be nice.

I MAY end up with a Trapdoor to go back one more step. :)

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    I am sticking with rifles, and battle (not training) rifles.. That cuts out the Reising and Thompson and Grease Gun.

I would love to get a Johnson.

The M1895 Lee Navy would be nice.

I MAY end up with a Trapdoor to go back one more step. :)

With only 15,000 built is the M1895 Lee Navy hard to find?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you're collecting Army rifles, you can save money and skip the Lee and the Johnson. You need them if you're collecting USMC rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom