• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Dear Friend,

I wanted to make sure you are aware of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources' latest Junior Waterfowl Hunting Day, which takes place this Saturday, February 9. Junior Hunting Days provide wonderful opportunities for young hunters and their adult mentors to get outside and enjoy the proud tradition of hunting in Maryland.

Hunting is a part of our history and is woven into the fabric of our State’s culture. We appreciate everything you and all other conservation-minded hunters do for Maryland.

I also want to take this opportunity to address you directly about the proposal we recently introduced to reduce gun violence. Our goal is to enact common sense proposals to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals, and to try to reduce the risk of a mass shooting like the one that occurred in Newtown.

Let me be clear: We are committed to protecting hunters and their traditions. That's why we specifically carved out shotguns and rifles from the licensing requirements of our bill.

This bill will NOT impact your ability to introduce a young hunter to the sport and the conservation stewardship ethic borne of that experience.

Good luck on Saturday and I look forward to hearing your stories from the field.

Sincerely,

Martin O’Malley
    Governor

I replied that I hunt with my AR15 and his statement is hypocritical

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I got it too. I replied, and told him to shove it:

Take your legislation and shove it. Hunters are smart enough to know when their rights are being trampled. You can tell us all that you want that our hunting guns are safe (for now), but we know better. Wednesday was a fine example of this. Get ready for more pushback.

They're getting desperate trying to appeal to the hunters. This bill does not have the support that they need it to.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Glad you replied back. I would suggest all of us that receive it do the same.

Politicians get nervous when large numbers of fired up people start filling the streets and communicating their displeasure with an impending political action. This is akin to the President saying that he "shoots skeet all the time" (bwahahaha). They want to appear to be one of us to peel some of us off and into their camp.

In other words, this is an attempt to divide and conquer. Remember, the next time a nutjob commits some crime with a high powered rifle/shotgun, they will use that to make "common sense" gun restrictions on them too. The people that push gun control have no respect for your civil right to own firearms, and history shows they work incrementally over time to get what they want. Make no mistake, they want to disarms the citizens, and they are patient.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Not only that but he still hasn't addressed the fact (NO ONE DID ON WED) that anyone under 21 will be prohibited from possessing ANY ammunition should this bill pass in its current form.

I believe its just a stupid oversight in wording, but points to the slapped together backroom nature of this bill.

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    I wonder what the real objective of the anti-gun people is? Disarm the ones who care about the Constitution so the non-believers can throw it out with immunity to resistance..
    Just wondering.

Kharstin

Cruffler
    Feb 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I got this too. I have had the unfortunate circumstance of meeting Owe-Malley at several different venues and each time he has been a pompis narcissist. He almost makes me ashamed to admit I am Irish...

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

Attachments

• A Hunter's Lament.JPG
      A Hunter's Lament.JPG
      38.5 KB · Views: 110

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    I got it and responded with my opposition and disdain to his bill and also included a copy of my email to Senator Frosh. As with the good senator though I doubt very seriously that it will be read.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    First let me say I joined this forum some time ago for an answer to a specific question. I got my answer and I am slightly ashamed to say I did not return until the recent events sparked the 2A assault by Maryland.

That being said I fell I must comment on the letter posted. What I have to say would probably not be news to any member but who know who may read it and I am so frustrated.

I don't believe anyone in the hunting community will fall for what is being said. I myself have deer hunted the last several years with a 44 mag handgun. So how will the proposed bill not effect hunters? I unfortunately did not make the rally Wednesday as I came about its information too late to make arrangements to be there. I hope someone pointed out we can and do hunt with handguns in the state.

I have always wanted and AR10 in 308 it had never just materialized. This effects hunters.

The Browning BAR and Remington 740 are not any different in function of the so called assault weapons they wish to ban and they are very popular with hunters. I am also sick of the word assault weapons as my guns have never assaulted anyone.

My son is 16 and hunts with me but in a different deer stand. How will he hunt when he can't possess the ammo?

To say the bill will not effect hunter shows there stupidity and explains the thought process of the bill. I sure hope this was pointed out to them on Wednesday, not that it will probably help.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    Got it and promptly replied too... Remind these idiots that we are here, we are pissed and that we are not going to be appeased or silenced.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Just checked my 'home' e-mail account, and I got the same letter from fartin' Martin OweMalley.

Here is my reply, verbatim (I inserted my screen-name in place of my name.):

I am fully aware that Martin O'Malley will not be seeing this reply, but -
    I do NOT believe the governor, when he states that this Bill (SB-281) will not affect hunters and their traditions.
    Case in point -
    The Bill states that no-one under the age of 21 shall be in possession of ammunition. This includes my now 17 year old son, who has been hunting for 3 years, now.
    This Bill will make him a criminal IF he has ammunition or a firearm in his possession.

Also, please refer to the Constitution of the United States.
    The 2nd Amendment is NOT about hunting!!!!!!!
    The 2A specifically is written to protect the citizens' RIGHT to keep and bear arms because of tyrannical governments!!!!!
    Get your facts straight. Mine are!

As for the statement, "That's why we specifically carved out shotguns and rifles from the licensing requirements of our bill." - You have INCLUDED rifles and shotguns that ARE used for hunting and sporting events!!!!!
    I am a rifle competitor and you have SPECIFICALLY named rifles that I use for SPORT, as going to be banned!!!!!

Sorry. . . . I do NOT trust what is said by the governor. Period.
    This legislation is pure 'feel-good legislation' that will do NOTHING to fight crime (criminals don't obey the law, anyway. . . that's why they are called criminals!), and this legislation will ONLY affect the law-abiding.
    This legislation is NOT about gun control. It is purely a "Control" issue.

The one nice thing about Martin O'Malley being governor. . . . . He won't be. . . . again. Thank God for term limitations.

The governor's personal response is welcome.

byf43
    Hunter (and former Hunter Ed. Instructor), Sportsman, Patriot and VOTER.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom