• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Going out now...

Senators,

In following the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee's deliberations regarding SB281 last night, several things became clear.

Sen. Frosh is clearly dismissive of the Constitutional Rights of Marylanders, in particluar deriding (and even mocking) those related to the Second Amendment.

The outcome of last night's vote, and the amendments adopted, had been determined in advance.

The fact that several aspects of existing Maryland firearms law are Unconstitutional doesn't matter to the majority of the Committee.

The admission that the Committee is not well-versed on our firearms laws, and that they should consult "people smarter than" they are, speaks to the lack of forethought given the hasty compilation of the bill.

Even with the amendments, this is still an onerous and Unconstitutional bill. The citizens of Maryland are outraged, and are speaking as never before. I ask you to hear them, and not support any legislation that so blatantly infringes on our most basic protections, as guaranteed by the Constitutions of both the United States and the State of Maryland.

[me]
    Glen Burnie, MD

Executive Member, Maryland Shall Issue
    Life Member, Gun Owners of America
    Member, Second Amendment Foundation
    Member, National Rifle Association
    Newly Registered Conservative Democrat

hilpala

Dec 16, 2011
    Ft Washington, MD
    That's an awesome letter Mr. H. If you don't mind I would like to take it and butcher it just a bit to my own wording so that it's not thrown in another mail list folder or pile.

Sending off more rounds today and called Muse's office to find that his aid won't be in until 11:30 or 12 today because today is her "late day".

Great.

Mr H

Banana'd
    That's an awesome letter Mr. H. If you don't mind I would like to take it and butcher it just a bit to my own wording so that it's not thrown in another mail list folder or pile.

Sending off more rounds today and called Muse's office to find that his aid won't be in until 11:30 or 12 today because today is her "late day".

Great.

I post them so folks can borrow them, since I'd had several requests in the past.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    To The General Assembly -

After following the SJC's debate last night on SB281 the only thing I can say is, “Thank God the General Assembly is only in session for 90 days.”

How elected officials can decide to infringe on the law-abiding as a way to ensure law breakers mend their ways is simply beyond me.

Do you really expect criminals to get in line for a license to purchase?

To pay for and attend safety classes?

To follow any of the asinine requirements SB281 demands?

You know and I know the answer is no.

When citizens lose faith in those who govern nothing good can come of it.

As a registered Democrat and gun owner I am fed up with my Party's position on this matter.

I will be watching your votes carefully, and promise that I will work to ensure we elect “reasonable” people who possess “common sense.”

eospeed

Jan 21, 2013
    Frederick
    This crap is so ripe it smells

Senator Young is voting for every parent in Maryland who drops their children off at school or takes them to the movies. They deserve to know their children are safe. He is not voting against hunters or sportsmen or law abiding gun owners; he is voting for parents. They have a right to know their children are safe.
    Senator Young strongly supports the second amendment. Asking for stronger background checks, limiting the size of magazines and banning assault weapons does not violate the 2nd Amendment.

The Senator has no problem with hunters having rifles or with individuals safely storing handguns in their homes for self protection. He can also support collectors having antique guns and a system where certain guns can be kept at a club for target practice or competitive shooting. Senator Young believes this to be a fair balance. He feels we must strengthen support for mental health and other school safety issues.

Thank you again for your comments. If you would like to share any additional comments of concern regarding this, or any other, issue, please do not hesitate to contact our office via email, Ronald.Young@senate.state.md.us.

Again, thank you for bringing your position on this issue to Senator Young’s attention.

Sincerely,

Caitlin Dunn
    Constituent Aide
    Senator Ronald Young
    District 3, Frederick and Washington Counties

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Thank you for contacting my office with your concerns on gun control.
    The overwhelming consensus from my constituents on this issue is that I support our Second Amendment rights by voting against legislation to further restrict gun ownership.
    I have always supported the right to bear arms, and as tragic and emotional as Sandy Hook, and other such incidents have been, I do not believe that additional gun laws are the answer to eliminating such violence.
    My goal is to develop legislation which is effective in eliminating today’s current problems.
    As with most emotionally backed issues, both sides will provide challenging arguments. I will encourage discussion on areas such as:
    • tightening pre-gun purchase checks
    • additional mental health funding; screening in schools and society at large.
    • addressing violence in our society such as; T.V., movies, internet, video games.
    • school building security
    I appreciate knowing of your support on this front, and I will do my best to voice your views and uphold your constitutional choice for the right to bear arms.

Sincerely,
    Ed Reilly
    Maryland State Senator, District 33
    410-841-3568

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Thank you for your recent e-mail with reference to the Governor’s Proposed Gun Ban Legislation and/or Senate Bill 281.

Gun control has been and will continue to be a very controversial issue. Since my tenure in the House of Delegates, the United States Congress and in the Maryland Senate, my views have not changed. Please be assured that I will not support SB 281 or any other gun control measures.

Our second amendment rights must not be infringed but upheld. I will continue to fight with due diligence to defend our Constitutional right to bear arms.

Senator Dyson

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Welcome to the General Assembly! Unfortunately, one party rule and lack of common sense and sustainability over the years has put MD on its heels and its wealthy, healthy and wise residents to move out of state.

Del. George, the other Republicans and perhaps a few moderate Democrats will not support the Governor's or other gun bills that restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens. We are hearing from many of you asking that, and we are listening and agree.

Thank you for contacting us -

Debbie Yatsuk
    Legislative Assistant to Delegate Ron George

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    No surprise

OPEN LETTER TO CONSTITUENTS ON THE ISSUE OF GUN CONTROL
    AND LEGISLATION IN THE 2013 LEGISLATIVE SESSION

February 12, 2013

Dear Constituent,

This letter is prepared for you so that you will know my position on gun control and any anticipated
    legislation.

While I certainly support the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the U.S.A. which provides the
    right to bear arms; I strongly support any and all efforts to strengthen our gun laws so that instances
    of gun violence will no longer be a way of life for far too many people/victims/families. I am a
    co-sponsor of House Bill 107 which reduces to 10 rounds the maximum capacity for ammunition of
    a detachable magazine for a firearm. I am also a co-sponsor of House Bill 490 which makes it a
    misdemeanor to possess or use specified firearm ammunition during and in relation to the commission
    of a crime; the bill also establishes appropriate penalties. For more information on these two bills,
    please refer to the Maryland General Assembly website and look up the bills by their numbers.

As always, it is my honor to represent you in the Maryland General Assembly. Please do not hesitate
    to contact me at any time for additional information or to let me know your position and opinion on
    any issue of interest to you.

Thank you,
    Cheryl D. Glenn
    Cheryl D. Glenn
    State Delegate, 45th Legislative District
    410-841-3257 (Annapolis Office)
    Cheryl.glenn@house.state.md.us

Mr H

Banana'd
    Sent to Ed DeGrange...
    Senator DeGrange,

As you approach your vote on SB 281, I wish you to consider some things in the best interests of our State's residents.

This bill (and the rest of the Governor's legislative package) does nothing to deter criminals, protect the citizenry, or prevent violent crime. In fact, the proposals in these bills will have a deleterious effect on potentially hundreds of thousands of law-abiding Marylanders who, through no malice or action of their own, will suddenly be in fear (if not suddenly in fact) of becoming criminals.

Every bill that I have read (and I've done my fair share this session) that has a penalty attached, carries a minimum possible sentence that would instantly FEDERALLY disqualify a previously lawful person from ever being able to purchase a firearm again in their lives. Something as simple as an 17 year-old, who can currently hunt legally on their own, could be charged with illegal possession of ammunition, and no longer be permitted to their Rights under the Second Amendment. And that would be in effect for simply the CHARGE... no conviction required.

I could take your whole day with this, but suffice that there are examples similar to this throughout these bills, which amount to no less than an Unconstitutional "gun grab". Even with the proposed amendments from the Judicial Proceedings Committee, SB 281 is now only "less horrific."

You have written to me in the past that you are indeed a supporter of our Second Amendment Rights, and that you intend to vote against this bill. I encourage you to stand to that committment, and to bring your fellow Senators and the Delegates from our District along, to prove that our leaders CAN be counted on to do the right thing. I received that committment from Del. Beidle as well, and I hope you both will be accountable to your word.

I, along with thousands who are planning likewise, will be in Annapolis over the coming weeks to make ourselves heard once again. Please understand that we represent the hundreds of thousands who cannot be there, but feel as strongly about the place of Constitutional values and our Rights.

[me]
    Glen Burnie, MD (D-32)

Executive Member, Maryland Shall Issue
    Life Member, Gun Owners of America
    Member, Second Amendment Foundation
    Member, National Rifle Association
    Newly Registered Conservative Democrat

Received: Usual canned response
    Thank you for writing me to share your opinion regarding the issue of gun control legislation in the 2013 Legislative Session. As you know this issue is one which invokes great concern because of its seriousness both in regard to the protection of constitutional rights as well as to public safety.

Please know that I will carefully consider all of the proposed legislation while taking into account the concerns of stakeholders on all sides of the issue including those who are strong proponents of gun rights as well those who are not. I am currently evaluating the proposed legislation.

As a long-time supporter of second amendment rights please know that I will continually evaluate all of the legislation as it is potentially altered or amended. It is my understanding that Maryland gun laws are considered among the strictest in the United States and the first question I will be asking myself will be whether or not each piece of legislation would help stop what happened in Connecticut from happening here in Maryland.

Please know that I will be mindful of your position when this legislation reaches me on the Senate floor. Please also know that I will not support any legislation that I do not deem equitable to all stakeholders.

Should you have any additional questions or concerns as the legislature considers this, or any other, issue please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,
    James "Ed" DeGrange,
    Sr.State Senator,
    District 32

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    Response from Senator Middleton

From: "Middleton, Thomas Senator" <Thomas.Mclain.Middleton@senate.state.md.us>
    Date: Monday, February 25, 2013 2:37 PM
    To: Jim Buckingham <jjabuck@msn.com>
    Subject: RE: SB0281

Thank you Jim,
    I plan to oppose SB 281

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    The other three southern Maryland delegates did not bother to respond. Murphy responded with a form email with other issues on it.

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    SB 0281

I talked to Murphy's office and ask where he stands. I was told he will study the matter when it comes out of the joint committee.

tomgreco

Ammo addict
    Sep 17, 2009
    Indian Head, MD
    I talked to Murphy's office and ask where he stands. I was told he will study the matter when it comes out of the joint committee.

He will vote for SB281. I just received this:

Dear Friends,

On Friday, March 1st, the Judiciary and the Health and Government Operations Committees, will be holding a joint hearing on the “Firearm Safety Act of 2013” bill. There has been a tremendous amount of interest in this bill and I expect a spirited hearing.

In its present form, this bill is 38 pages long and covers a variety of issues. I appreciate the opportunity to summarize the bill as I understand it but please know that because of the many items contained in the bill and the likelihood that there could be a number of amendments, the final bill could look much different. With that in mind, I would at least like to give you some of the highlights of this bill:

As drafted, this bill will:

Not prohibit lawful citizens from obtaining or owning a handgun and keeping it in their home;

Not require additional licensing procedures for hunting rifles and shotguns;

Not force citizens who lawfully possess an assault weapon to surrender their weapon;

Not prohibit authorized personnel from carrying or transporting a hand gun;

Not require current lawful gun owners to retroactively obtain a license.

As drafted, this bill would:

Ban military-style assault weapons

Reduce the allowable magazine capacity from 20 rounds to 10 rounds

Implement a system of:
    licensing requirements for handguns with age restrictions;
    mandatory safety training requirements;
    a background check;
    mandatory fingerprinting;
    an attestation that a person is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing handgun under State or Federal law.

If you would like to follow the progress of this legislation, I encourage you to go to www.mgaleg.maryland.gov. In the meantime, I look forward to fair and complete hearings that will produce a bill that provides for safe communities while protecting the rights of responsible gun owners and enthusiasts.

With best regards,

Delegate Peter F. Murphy

TACAV

Aug 6, 2008
    From Jim Mathias,
    :)

Good morning,

I come from a family of hunters and gun owners and am proud to be a part of a community where safe and responsible gun ownership is a fact of everyday life. In the face of senseless violence, I believe that we can best protect our communities by continuing to focus on supporting existing programs and improving our methods for identifying and treating mental illnesses. Instead of creating new laws that restrict our 2nd Amendment rights, we must enforce the laws currently on our books. I have long been a supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights and will be voting against Senate Bill 281 should it or any similar bills come before me on the Senate floor.

Your effort in taking time to tell me of your thoughts is greatly appreciated. Please continue to keep in touch.

Thank you,

- Jim

Senator James N. Mathias, Jr.
    Senate of Maryland, 401 Miller Office Building
    District 38 - Somerset, Wicomico & Worcester Counties
    800 492 7122 x-3645# 410 841 3645 (F) 410 841 3006

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Just sent:

After listening to the Judicial Proceedings Committee debate and amend SB281, I would like to thank Nancy Jacobs for her stalwart stance on behalf of the law abiding citizens of Maryland. Furthermore, I would like to call out James Brochin who publicly stated that he would vote against SB281 if it maintained the registration aspect, and then violated that by voting to send it out of committee. Also, I hate to sound crass, but it would have been nice if several of the Senators responsible for legislation that will affect the lives of millions of law abiding citizens would have done even the slightest research on what they were discussing as it was plainly evident that many didn't have the slightest idea what they were talking about and allowed Senator Frosh to either coerce or bully them into capitulating to his will. I urge you all to remind Mr Brochin of his promise.

Also, it is quite evident that for anyone that has read the Heller or McDonald findings, that many parts of this bill are unconstitutional and will only cost the taxpayers of this state millions of dollars in legal fees to fight a losing battle.

Let me point out a few glaring problems:
    1. As was brought up in committee (and subsequently voted down), a citizen of Maryland serving honorably in our Armed Forces who legally purchased an AR-15 and is deployed and is unable to register their firearm, will upon their return will become a felon with a mandatory 5 year sentence, a dishonorable discharge and the loss of their honor. This alone, should be reason to not vote for this bill.

2. Requiring an inordinate amount of training and licensure for an enumerated Right is wrong no matter how you look at it. What would be your response if someone submitted a bill to do the same for the 1st Amendment? Should I have to pay for training and be fingerprinted and licensed just in order to air my grievances or send you this email? All of this legislation on law abiding citizens just to restrict their ability to practice an enumerated Right amounts to nothing more than a poll tax.

3. In opposition to Mr Frosh's comments in committee, this law would outlaw legal hunting by anyone under the age of 21. Page 26 states "(B) A PERSON MAY NOT POSSESS AMMUNITION IF THE PERSON IS PROHIBITED FROM POSSESSING A REGULATED FIREARM UNDER § 5–133 OF THIS SUBTITLE." Nowhere does it state a specific caliber or firearm type, it simply states "ammunition". And § 5–133 states that you must be 21 to purchase a regulated firearm.

Let's call it the way it is; this is a bad bill that will do absolutely nothing to combat crime in the State of Maryland. On the contrary, much like our neighboring States and the District which have much more strict gun control laws, crime will most likely increase as more and more otherwise law abiding citizens will be disarmed and unable to defend themselves. On the net, it is my opinion that this, if made law, will actually cost lives. I implore you, do the right thing. Encourage your peers to do the right thing. Vote NO on SB281.

Then you can concentrate on stopping crime by slowing down the revolving door criminal justice system.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Just sent:

After listening to the Judicial Proceedings Committee debate and amend SB281, I would like to thank Nancy Jacobs for her stalwart stance on behalf of the law abiding citizens of Maryland. Furthermore, I would like to call out James Brochin who publicly stated that he would vote against SB281 if it maintained the registration aspect, and then violated that by voting to send it out of committee. Also, I hate to sound crass, but it would have been nice if several of the Senators responsible for legislation that will affect the lives of millions of law abiding citizens would have done even the slightest research on what they were discussing as it was plainly evident that many didn't have the slightest idea what they were talking about and allowed Senator Frosh to either coerce or bully them into capitulating to his will. I urge you all to remind Mr Brochin of his promise.

Also, it is quite evident that for anyone that has read the Heller or McDonald findings, that many parts of this bill are unconstitutional and will only cost the taxpayers of this state millions of dollars in legal fees to fight a losing battle.

Let me point out a few glaring problems:
    1. As was brought up in committee (and subsequently voted down), a citizen of Maryland serving honorably in our Armed Forces who legally purchased an AR-15 and is deployed and is unable to register their firearm, will upon their return will become a felon with a mandatory 5 year sentence, a dishonorable discharge and the loss of their honor. This alone, should be reason to not vote for this bill.

2. Requiring an inordinate amount of training and licensure for an enumerated Right is wrong no matter how you look at it. What would be your response if someone submitted a bill to do the same for the 1st Amendment? Should I have to pay for training and be fingerprinted and licensed just in order to air my grievances or send you this email? All of this legislation on law abiding citizens just to restrict their ability to practice an enumerated Right amounts to nothing more than a poll tax.

3. In opposition to Mr Frosh's comments in committee, this law would outlaw legal hunting by anyone under the age of 21. Page 26 states "(B) A PERSON MAY NOT POSSESS AMMUNITION IF THE PERSON IS PROHIBITED FROM POSSESSING A REGULATED FIREARM UNDER § 5–133 OF THIS SUBTITLE." Nowhere does it state a specific caliber or firearm type, it simply states "ammunition". And § 5–133 states that you must be 21 to purchase a regulated firearm.

Let's call it the way it is; this is a bad bill that will do absolutely nothing to combat crime in the State of Maryland. On the contrary, much like our neighboring States and the District which have much more strict gun control laws, crime will most likely increase as more and more otherwise law abiding citizens will be disarmed and unable to defend themselves. On the net, it is my opinion that this, if made law, will actually cost lives. I implore you, do the right thing. Encourage your peers to do the right thing. Vote NO on SB281.

Then you can concentrate on stopping crime by slowing down the revolving door criminal justice system.

Received this almost immediate and non-auto response: "I am OPPOSED to this legislation. I voted against SB 281 in committee and will vote against it on the Senate floor. Senator Norman R. Stone, Jr."

tomgreco

Ammo addict
    Sep 17, 2009
    Indian Head, MD
    Thank you for your interest in participating in a meeting with Delegate Murphy regarding the Firearms Safety Act of 2013. The meeting information is as follows:

When: Friday, March 1, 2013
    Time: 12:15 pm
    Where: Room 318, House Office Building
    6 Bladen Street
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    Why: Firearms Safety Act of 2013 HB294

For those of you hoping to testify at the Joint Hearing, I urge you to contact the Committee Chairs Directly:

House Judiciary Committee Chairman, Delegate Joseph F. Vallario, Jr., 410-841-3488
    House Health and Government Operation Chair, Peter A. Hammen, 410-841-3770

The joint hearing will be held in the Joint Committee Hearing Room of the Legislative Services Building, 1st Floor, 90 State Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401. It would be in your best interest to contact the Maryland General Services Capitol Police at 410-260-2900 to see if there will be any additional security information and or recommendations to pass through the Security Checkpoint at the building. For your convenience, I am attaching two documents to give you directions, parking information and a map of the capital complex. Should have any questions or require any additional information, please contact me.

Kim Mayhew
    Legislative Aide
    Delegate Peter F. Murphy
    6 Bladen Street, Room 426
    Annapolis, MD 21401

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple