• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I don't know what to make of this. I found it on Amazon while looking for something else.

On the one hand, it's got lots of Mil-Spec gobbledy-gook and insurance against damage, on the other hand, it's not like anything I would expect for the task and is insurance any good after a nuclear exchange or Carrington Event?

Amazon product ASIN B07XC8G7LZ
    It's somewhat pricey, but if it worked it would probably pay for itself a many times over.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If you are concerned, park your car in a Faraday cage. Won't be much good without fuel, so build one around your favorite gas station as well.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Attachments

• bananaseat.jpg
      bananaseat.jpg
      134.9 KB · Views: 78

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    EE here, This sir is snake oil.
    Do you have any knowledge of this "Keystone" testing they refer to?
    You need a car with NO electronics. AKA, a Schwin.
    Have one. I thought about buying an old car w/o electronics, this would be cheaper.
    If you are concerned, park your car in a Faraday cage. Won't be much good without fuel, so build one around your favorite gas station as well.
    As to a Faraday cage, this would probably be cheaper than a truck-sized one.

It will have enough fuel for at least a couple of hundred mile journey, I figure fuel distribution/ gas stations will be on the priority list for getting back on line and I know at least one close by gas station that has a large standby generator.

But even if that all wasn't the case, an undamaged vehicle I couldn't drive for a couple of years would be better than a damaged one.

All the above assumes the device works which I'm skeptical of.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    There is actually a company that makes faraday tents. I have seen them at trade shows. Not sure how they go, nut they are NOT cheap. These are used for LE purposes. The one I saw would fit out to 6 people sitting at small desk doing LE things.

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    Hmmwv, cucv etc are supposedly emp proof. You can pick those up on the cheap at auctions. Diesel may be another issue though.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hmmwv, cucv etc are supposedly emp proof. You can pick those up on the cheap at auctions. Diesel may be another issue though.
    Diesel stays stable a lot longer than gasoline, so better for SHTF. Plus, diesels can run on all kinds of crazy stuff so fuel is easier to find.

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    Diesel stays stable a lot longer than gasoline, so better for SHTF. Plus, diesels can run on all kinds of crazy stuff so fuel is easier to find.
    Good point. If we ever get to a shtf situation, I plan on acquiring one locally, post haste.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Points, distributor, rotor, coil and old Vehicle…likely at least pre 82. (Eg no electronic ignition or chip driven or computer linked parts)

Keep the extra key bits in your gun safe or an old microwave.

Or just assume the risk and move on down the road til you can’t.

Attachments

• A4CB0ED1-27F7-4201-9257-81B88B1FDA54.jpeg
      A4CB0ED1-27F7-4201-9257-81B88B1FDA54.jpeg
      60.9 KB · Views: 84

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    EMPs are complicated. Corona mass ejections are another type/issue.

There is no one answer. If you are worried about your vehicle, also worry about the financial system, backup generators, every electronic you have.

A Corona cage is only as good as its weakest seam, penetration, grounding, etc.

Different EM frequencies require different solutions.

Best solution is an alcohol fueled (you can distill your own) simple points ignition (spare points/coils buried about 6 feet under ground) off road vehicle (the roads will be littered with dead cars and trucks).

Make sure the exhaust is quiet and run blackout lights as it will be a target.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Do you have any knowledge of this "Keystone" testing they refer to?

There is a report, it says EMI testing. Look at the test fixture picture and then compare that to the air force one emp testing picture below. Cars are pretty close to a fairday cage already (except they are not grounded). A mild solar flare is not going to destroy a car. The main enabler for the carrington event was the new long distance telegraph wires into which a current/voltage could be induced. How long is the longest wire in your car? 20 feet? EMP means Nuke, nuke means we are already f'ed. The field strengths are going to be much higher a little box under the hood can not protect all the computers in a modern car. No way No how not going to happen, period. My bet is the box has a $0.10 MOV in it like a surge protector. All the pictures are blurred out for a reason.

1658498832749.png

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Points, distributor, rotor, coil and old Vehicle…likely at least pre 82. (Eg no electronic ignition or chip driven or computer linked parts)

Keep the extra key bits in your gun safe or an old microwave.

Or just assume the risk and move on down the road til you can’t.
    Nothing with a ECM or BCM. Electronically controlled anything is going to probably fail.

Better think early to mid 70s before the rise of the computer control modules and OBS port. 1982 may be too late as a cutoff for EMP protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom