• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    If you're a fan of CMP sales, you know that an email was recently sent out announcing the sale of $600 M14 parts kits - minus barrel, bolt, and receiver (WTF CMP?). More importantly, however, it announced that the M1 carbine is virtually sold out, other than a few being auctioned off. Like a giant family size bag of chips being eaten by one person, it always seemed like there were more carbines than we could ever coinceivably buy - 6 million in total production. And then, one day, we openned the web page, hoping for a $419 Inland, and there was nothing but cosmoline and barrelled receivers.

From this day forward, think twice before you drill holes in the receiver or run it over with a car as a torture test. The $419 carbine now belongs to the memories of hardcore gun enthuaists everywhere. But don't be sad, my fellow surplus fiends. Even now, $419 Inland frolics happily in the pages of the gun magazines of Valhalla with it's long lost friends: the $50 Mosin, the $100 Garand, and $10 Mauser 98k.

The M1 Carbine lineage lives on for you WWII junkies in the form of the $750 carbine and the $1000 carbine. Perhaps if we pray well at the altar of the CMP, Korea, Taiwan, or perhaps Turkey will find a stockpile of carbines hidden away in a long forgotten armory. Until that day, I intend to remember the $419 carbine fondly and be happy that I scored a truly classic gun bargain while it existed.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    There will be more. CMP has a habit of saying "dont expect anymore to come" after every shipment gets sold out. It may be 5 years or so down the road. But some country that we gave gave them to post WW2 will be getting rid of them eventually.

The days of getting factory in the wrap or US Post WW2/Korea rebuilds in the wrap carbines are getting tougher to come by.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I've always wanted a carbine, but didn't have the extra funds when CMP started selling the Inlands. :sad20: Too bad because I refuse to pay $700+ for a carbine. It just isn't a $700 gun in my opinion, but some folks are willing to pay that, so more power to 'em.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    There will be more. CMP has a habit of saying "dont expect anymore to come" after every shipment gets sold out. It may be 5 years or so down the road. But some country that we gave gave them to post WW2 will be getting rid of them eventually.

This is true, but we're running out of Cold War Era friends with carbines. While I think that CMP will evetually find carbines somewhere, I'm guessing that they won't sell for less than $600.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I was on the CMP sight last night and was a bit disappointed in the selection, noticed that no carbines other than at auction.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    And this is why collecting is not only fun, but a very good form of investing.

I dunno... wouldn't that mean, at least in theory, that one would have to be prepared to SELL a gun? :sad20:

having a hard time getting my head wrapped around that proposition...

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've always wanted a carbine, but didn't have the extra funds when CMP started selling the Inlands. :sad20: Too bad because I refuse to pay $700+ for a carbine. It just isn't a $700 gun in my opinion, but some folks are willing to pay that, so more power to 'em.

Yup, I'm in the same boat. Love to have one, but not at that price. I'll never understand why a modern manufacturer won't produce milspec models.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Yup, I'm in the same boat. Love to have one, but not at that price. I'll never understand why a modern manufacturer won't produce milspec models.

They couldnt make them for under a 1k$ probally.

Just like SA inc. garands are around 1k$. Most of the parts are cast and not near mil-spec.

I think Kahr Arms still makes the carbine (auto ordnance) but no parts interchange I think and quality is hit or miss on the ones ive seen.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    They couldnt make them for under a 1k$ probally.

I think Kahr Arms still makes the carbine (auto ordnance) but no parts interchange I think and quality is hit or miss on the ones ive seen.

Kahr does make them, but as you noted it's not interchangable. Why do you suppose it would cost so much to make them? It's not an incredibly complex weapon is it? I'm thinking that if Ruger can get the Mini-14 to market for around $600, the M-1 carbine can't be that much more complex.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Kahr does make them, but as you noted it's not interchangable. Why do you suppose it would cost so much to make them? It's not an incredibly complex weapon is it? I'm thinking that if Ruger can get the Mini-14 to market for around $600, the M-1 carbine can't be that much more complex.

If you had a few companies making carbines, like they the ones that are making ar's. There would be a lot of competition ( yay!! capitalism!!)
    The mini-14 is a decent rifle. BUT,You can put together a nice ar for the same price.

I dont think there is a huge market for comercial carbines and m1 garands when you can have the Real deal for under 800$

The one thing that is drying up is parts!!! If you could contract a maker to make mil-spec parts. For the m1 and carbine and m14 for a respectful price. you could make some decent $. But even that cost lotsa $ because you need the blue prints and material and machinery to set up.

There are so many carbines and garands on the market right, THe market is kinda flooded and with the economy the way it is. Most Tom ,dick or joes arnt going to spend that kinda $ on a something comercial. The SA inc. garand dont exactly fly off the shelf. There m1a's sell really good though. There the only current mass builder of clone m14's

Furious George

May 10, 2010

It isn't a $419 gun either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom