• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    I've been thinking about buying a Mosin for some time and was wandering if the rifle should be taken to a gunsmith to check the bolt and whatever else to make sure it is safe.

Especially the ones produced during the war under tremendous stress and pressure by unskilled workers.

If you own one , have you had any problems ? Can u recommend a gunsmith to do a quick check up ?

thanks

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    You could take it to a gunsmith to check the headspace and all. I know some people that are content that if all the numbers match the headspace is probably ok. That is up to you. Always use that little tool that comes with the rifle to check the firing pin depth. You can find directions to do this on youtube. It's not difficult and just makes sure that the pin will not completely penetrate through the primer. Every one I have ever checked was already good. I then messed one up and had the get the pin back to the correct depth, but it only takes a few minutes to figure out.

They are sturdy battle rifles and I recommend them for cheap shooters. Ammo can still be found cheap but might have corrosive primers so make sure you clean up afterward.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    That pretty much sums it up. You could get into more detail, but it's not really needed.
    To maximize your piece of mind, buy a 91/30 with matching barrel shank and bolt numbers from a national retailer that is selling arsenal refurbished rifles directly from their storage crates. These rifles were gone over by the arsenal/depot armorers and brought back up to specs before being stored away.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I've been thinking about buying a Mosin for some time and was wandering if the rifle should be taken to a gunsmith to check the bolt and whatever else to make sure it is safe.

Especially the ones produced during the war under tremendous stress and pressure by unskilled workers.

If you own one , have you had any problems ? Can u recommend a gunsmith to do a quick check up ?

thanks

These were all Arsenal refurbished as noted above, however to assume the original production workers were unskilled is quite a leap... The skilled folks got to stay in the factories... the unskilled were sent to the lines with said rifle in hand.

While production shortcuts were taken, they were not take at the expense of reliability in the case of these weapons... They worked and there are many dead Germans that could tell you so if they hadn't been on the wrong end of a Mosin Nagant.

Mark

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    what they said.

there are literally millions upon millions of these rifles out there. their rep is one of sturdy reliability. I'm sure it has happened, but I've not heard anything about headspace or other KB problems with Mosins.

It's good to be paranoid (they ARE out to get you!) but you can dial it back to a very low level here.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    (In Best Russian Accent)
    Mosin rifle goes boom - every time
    Mosin rifle makes good spear when out of ammo
    Mosin makes good canoe paddle when all else fails
    Mosin defends motherland

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Mosins are as sturdy as a hammer. I had one that was a &!^@# to open the bolt after firing. Digging around with a dental pic, I pulled an entire cleaning patch out of one of the bolt recesses! Some Red Soldier had jammed it there to keep the bolt from rattling! Worked fine after that!

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I bought six from Aim right after I got my C&R. Three regular, one carbine, one laminate.

All in very good to excellent condition (The carbine was a little rougher, perhaps they are running out again.), but I choose "hand picked" for all. All had bright shinny bores. The laminates are very pretty(though they lose some historic flavor/value IMHO), the regular ones have some interesting cartouches, and the carbine is just plain cool looking. :)

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    We have 7.62x54R headspace gauges here at Engage. Contact us a for quote for the work but we have a basic "Clean & Inspect" package where we could determine if it's safe to shoot.

Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    Shoot it, it either explodes or it doesnt. The first round with any new gun is the most nerve racking.

1969Vette

Jun 10, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    What site does everyone recommend to get one of these?

I got mine from Bud's Gun Shop. They offer the Mosin in "Very Good" condition for $99 and "Superior" condition for $109. I just purchased the superior conditioned Mosin last Friday and it was delivered on Tuesday!

Here are the links:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70783
    and
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540201

I hope to shoot it tomorrow!

Ralph

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member