• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    My experience yesterday proves no one is listening. I picked up a nice little S&W Model 51 kit gun and had it shipped to the dealer, my first gun in a year. When I went there yesterday to do the paperwork the place was mobbed. Standing in line with at least 10 people on the street waiting to get buzzed in. One guy next to me had a Remington 870 short barrel; told me he didn't know anything about guns; told him it was for him and his wife. I didn't know what to say! I wanted to say "you shouldn't be buying a gun if you don't know anything about them". I did recommend possibly a 20 ga if his wife would be shooting it. Absolutely unbelievable. I asked the owner if this is all because of what happened a couple weeks ago. He said "Yup!"

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    That's some funny stuff... but all too common over the past few weeks. Even since the election things have been really busy.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    As much as I agree with you on the "don't buy if you don't know", with all of the stuff swirling around right now in Maryland, I can't blame them. Panic buy won't be so stupid if laws are past to make Maryland one of the worst states to own a gun.

I don't even own an AR, but I bought mags at inflated prices. I'm not taking chances. 6 months from now, even if things settle down, I won't feel so bad because I know what this state is capable of.

But I will say, people from OTHER states are over-reacting a little. Federal AWB or any gun control will not be that swift. But if you are a Maryland resident or a resident from the handful of other gun restrictive states, you have very good reason to panic...especially if you've been waiting around for months to purchase a gun, but just never got around to it. I've always had it in my mind to purchase an AR, but it was not at the top of my wishlist. Once Obama won re-election, I moved it to the top. But then Newtown hit and it's a mad scramble to get your hands on anything to do with ARs.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    In the end, I think the panic buying is likely to help our cause. People who would have otherwise been against us or indifferent and uninterested are suddenly waking up in record numbers and buying guns for the first time, including a lot of women. Even if they hide those guns away in nightstands, closets, or whatever to never be seen again, these folks are likely to be permanent converts, especially if they spend $35 on an NRA membership for the first time.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Lets just hope they do buy that NRA or SAF or GOA membership. They need to be educated by the dealers selling as to why.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My panic buy was an 8 rd 1911 mag yesterday and some 00 buck.LOL Too late for me to get on the ar rush band wagon now. I will buy a glock and Sig soon tho

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Watdahec

Flipside
    Oct 31, 2012
    Glen burnie
    Speaking of panic buying. I was at arundel mills mall yesterday returning some stuff so I decided to swing by bass pro to buy some handgun ammo (.45,9mm,.40,380)and the freaking shelves were empty. I was only able to walk away with 300 .40 and 300 380.:sad20:

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    My panic buy was a river superblack hawk and an ar10 that had been on consignment at my local shop for a while,figured I grab them before someone else figured out they were a good price,could've sold the ar 3 times before I got out the door.

Bob

Mar 30, 2009
    My experience yesterday proves no one is listening. I picked up a nice little S&W Model 51 kit gun and had it shipped to the dealer, my first gun in a year. When I went there yesterday to do the paperwork the place was mobbed. Standing in line with at least 10 people on the street waiting to get buzzed in. One guy next to me had a Remington 870 short barrel; told me he didn't know anything about guns; told him it was for him and his wife. I didn't know what to say! I wanted to say "you shouldn't be buying a gun if you don't know anything about them". I did recommend possibly a 20 ga if his wife would be shooting it. Absolutely unbelievable. I asked the owner if this is all because of what happened a couple weeks ago. He said "Yup!"
    I respectfully disagree when you say "no one is listening". I think people are hearing loud and clear. The "panic buying" that is happening across the US is probably the most clear message that can be sent to legislators.
    The guy with the Remington short barrel has a right to own the gun even if you think you know a better choice. I'll assume that if he made the judgement that he needed to own a gun before he lost the right, he will learn to use the gun in a safe, responsible manner. I don't find anything "absolutely unbelievable" about buying a gun before you "...know anything about them". I think it is absolutely unbelievable that Americans are being threatened to have their 2nd amendment rights restricted.
    I support anyone willing to step up and buy a gun in this time of panic.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Panic buying incites more panic buying.

Let's say "Bob" is a mild mannered guy in middle management with a wife, a dog and 2.3 kids. He goes to buy a shotgun because he is afraid all guns may be banned. After all, we don't realize we need something until we learn we may not be able to get it. Bob tells his friends at work. They tend to respect his opinion. If Bob is worried, they should be too. So they go out and buy something. They see what the "gun people" are buying, that people are standing in lines. The gun shop employees (sometimes) add to the hysteria. So it goes....

Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    Its not a "panic buy" if you truely believe, like I do, that MD at the least will enact some draconian form of new gun control. I slapped a $1300 AR on my Mastercard without a second thought, and now that gun is going for over 2K. Needs must when the Devil drives...

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    I've made no panic buying and don't intend to.. I have some routine stuff back ordered because of the insanity. Bought a 10/22 yesterday at a good price. Went into 2 shops, both were mobbed

Bob

Mar 30, 2009
    I agree.
    Another scenario could be people are hearing what leaders are clearly articulating about restricting gun rights and making the judgement themselves about buying a gun before losing the right. In this case, it is clearly not Bob or shop employees causing the panic; it is leaders that have a very real ability to alter our rights.
    I can only label people buying guns "a panic" if there was no underlying reason. When the politicians say they are going to restrict your constitutional rights, I, and it looks like many others, take whatever actions we deem necessary to protect ourselves; this is not a panic.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    The publicity of increased gun demand is good for our political cause. "The people" (aka the voters) want their guns and their gun rights. Keep the demand up.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    The proposed AWB has made the AR-15 the MUST HAVE item for this Christmas season. The big difference is folks are buying for themselves, not their kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom