• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    In other words, they can keep their service weapons upon retirement if they have that option. Please name one police force that allows this. I don't see it as a big issue.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Please name one police force that allows this. I don't see it as a big issue.

If I can't does that mean they wont?

I feel you are missing the point; Would they have police commissioners support of without exemptions for police?

BTW...I am no expert, but nor do I claim.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    As a vet, I don't give a crap. Rights is rights boys and girls! Same for me, you, LEO's and those POS politicians! Is it nice I would be exempt from some things? Sure. Will it appease me? Hell no! It's another example of "divide and conquer" tactics. I am not so short sighted to not be able to see where this is headed. If anything, it will make me fight harder for the rights we ALL HAVE AND DESERVE! Besides, wasn't part of their gun-grabbing argument that vets were "crazy" and we all had PTSD, etc etc?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Slam dunk? I think not. Most laws do not "apply equally to all citizens." They make distinctions between groups, explicitly or in application. For example, income tax laws take a higher percentage of money from people who have higher incomes. The courts review distinctions to see if there is some "rational basis" for them, which is a low hurdle. If the law infringes on a constitutional right, then a stricter standard might be applied, but the U.S. Supreme Court has not yet made it clear what kind of standard will be applied to this sort of thing. There is a federal law, in effect since 2004, that allows certain retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed firearms in any jurisdiction, and as far as I know, nobody has suggested that this is a violation of equal protection doctrine.

Nobody should be very confident that the courts will overturn anything currently under discussion, although some of it is certainly constitutionally suspect in my opinion. Keep in the mind that a unanimous panel of the Fourth Circuit recently upheld Maryland's permit-issuance system -- would you say that is a law that "applies equally to all citizens"?

A case can be made against progressive income tax on EP grounds. As far as 4th cir goes there is only one court we care about. But mil and police exceptions are based on politics nothing else so they will have a very hard time defending the claim that theybste not core to the right under militia us.

An effective ban is not a reasonable regulation...

So the fun continues.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Sounds like an exemption to me. Forgive me if I am wrong.

Its a carve out to a special interest all right. A bribe even...;)
    But it will not affect much other than forcing another vote in the senate if it passes. Does not help or hurt the case in court much.

But again police use is exactly why they make good self defense weapons...

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    If I can't does that mean they wont?

I feel you are missing the point; Would they have police commissioners support of without exemptions for police?

BTW...I am no expert, but nor do I claim.

I haven't missed the point at all. I don't like any part of this bill and exemptions for cops or Vets, of which I am one. will not change that. As to the exemption buying support of police commissioners you must be living in a vacumm if you don't know where their marching orders come from. They couldn't care less about that exemption.

AnonymousShooter

Jan 2, 2012
    Salisbury, MD
    As a former military man, I swore an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution.

That Constititution guarantees the Civil Rights of ALL Americans, not just a select few. If my fellow Americans aren't entitled to their rights, then I will not accept special treatment designed to buy my support and silence.

Take your special exemption and shove it up your ass.

This ...

I'm prior service and feel the exact same way!

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    As a police officer I don't have an exemption to just flash my credentials and go buy a 30 round magazine here in Maryland for my personally owned weapons. No way the state of MD is going to give me an exemption to buy an AR for my collection if they get banned. The only exemption will be for weapons used on the job approved as an agency purchase. People are delusional if they think officers are just going to be able to get their agency to sign off every time an officer wants a new weapon for his collection. It just doesn't work that way.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Divide and conquer, Not going to work with me. I don’t care what exemption I get, if Joe citizen doesn’t have the same rights as me, it’s wrong.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Exactly...

Divide and conquer is what they are doing. And from the looks of things on here it just may be working... :sad20:

Here's a few questions for all of the LEOs on here, ACTIVE AND RETIRED...

How many of US want this bill to become Law?

NOT ME!

How many of US want ANY law abiding person to lose their 2A Rights?

NOT ME!

How many of US believe that more gun laws will EVER decrease crime and make this a safer world to live in for the children?

NOT ME!

How many of US are sick to death of fighting the criminal element to keep as many of them from hurting as many innocents as we could possibly effect... But DO or DID it anyway? ONLY to be told by those who we fight for that we are somehow shills for the government or privileged or JBTs... EVERY F'n time something like this comes up?

_________ (check) :cool:

Look folks... We get it already... And IF we stand together, we STILL may yet get through this. But all of this back biting and finger pointing is for packs of jackals, NOT folks who are on the SAME SIDE of the 2A fight. :sad20:

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    As a former military man, I swore an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution.

That Constititution guarantees the Civil Rights of ALL Americans, not just a select few. If my fellow Americans aren't entitled to their rights, then I will not accept special treatment designed to buy my support and silence.

Take your special exemption and shove it up your ass.

This +1 billion. They won't quiet me just because they threw me a bone for my being a vet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom