• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I just shot some of the Remington 130 grain FMJ flat point a few weeks ago. It was about the cleanest burning ammunition I've ever fired...very little burn rings on the cylinder and easy to clean up behind.

The target couldn't tell the difference what kind of ammo I was shooting. I have a case of 148 grain target wadcutters but I tend to portion that out carefully since I don't find it often.

CatoctinOutfitters

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Still one of the best rounds for beginners and experienced shooters alike. Accurate without much recoil (depending on the grain) and common to find. Have a solid .357 magnum on hand that can shoot both and you can have fun switching between .38 and .357 mag ammo. Just be sure not to try the reverse, a .357 out of a .38, or you'll be in for a bad time.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I was cleaning out one of the my dark corners of gun detritus just before Christmas and found an empty box of .38 Special 148 wadcutter reloads like we used to buy for $5 a box back in the early '80s. Every gun shop had them and it was fun to pick up a couple of boxes and go up to Elk Neck for a few hours. Range was self-regulated back in those days (no range officers) and I swear the "line" always seemed safer despite being more casual.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    So why can't we find 158 gr (LRN, SWC...whatever) readily available anymore? Where'd this 130 gr silliness come from and why is it (now) so ubiquitous? :shrug:
    That's a good question. Part of the problem came when all the police departments started switching to semi-auto 9s, the .357 and .38 Special got kicked to the curb. It was a great time for buying "police trade-ins". I remember seeing nice 4" Model 10s for $125 -150. I bought an unissued RHKP (Royal Hong Kong Police) Model 10 for $175 -Great Gun! Unfortunately, with the switch, department demand for .38 Special went away and the ammo prices went up.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    So I guess I’ll just leave those here, then…

$479 Smith & Wesson Model 64 38 Special Police Trade-in Revolvers​

Attachments

• IMG_5330.jpeg
      IMG_5330.jpeg
      276.1 KB · Views: 27

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    That's a good question. Part of the problem came when all the police departments started switching to semi-auto 9s, the .357 and .38 Special got kicked to the curb. It was a great time for buying "police trade-ins". I remember seeing nice 4" Model 10s for $125 -150. I bought an unissued RHKP (Royal Hong Kong Police) Model 10 for $175 -Great Gun! Unfortunately, with the switch, department demand for .38 Special went away and the ammo prices went up.

Late '70s-early '80s when MoCo PoPo went to Ruger Security-Six revolvers they traded in all their Smith and Colt revolvers. Don't know if anyone here remember Sharpshooter in Frederick run by Jim Moore...he had many of these trade-ins...Smith Model 10 Heavy Barrels for $110 and Smith Chiefs Specials and Colt Detective Specials for $185...many NIB and unissued. I bought a Model 10HB...all the spare money I had or I would have gotten some of the NIB Dick Specials as well. That Model 10 was one of the best, smoothest and most accurate revolvers I ever owned. I always regretted selling it some time later when finances were demanding something had to go.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    So I guess I’ll just leave those here, then…

$479 Smith & Wesson Model 64 38 Special Police Trade-in Revolvers​

One agency I worked for sent all their Model 64 revolvers, Colt Commandos and other assorted firearms used for training to the incinerator when transitioning to Sig 9mm pistols. Thanks, Bill Clinton for that stupid EO mandating federally owned firearms couldn't be traded in where they could end up in the civilian market.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Years ago when my daughter was an early teen she used to go to the range with me a lot, and every time we'd go I'd grab a box of remanufactured 38 Spc wadcutters from the counter - she got the enjoyment of shooting a big handgun, but with low volume and very little recoil. I save all brass so I wound up with a whole bunch of 38 special brass that I ended up reloading - mostly with 148 gr lead bullets, and more recently with 148 gr coated lead bullets, which seem to do pretty well.

I'm used to shooting bigger handguns with more recoil, so it's kinda fun to shoot the 38 with it's "pop" and mild recoil.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Yes.
    Everyone has the awful 130 grain FMJ, hard to find 148 WC or 158 SWC. Use to reload for it but don’t anymore.
    Georgia Arms, a commercial ammo loader and reloader, almost always has 148 gr WC at their table at every Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly. Other than dirty powder (after only six rounds my stainless steel 686-1 looks like I pulled it out of a coal bin), the 148 WC shoots great. Once I gave a handful to a friend's son and he beat me at a club shoot with that ammo.

Arloe

Dec 30, 2023
    Oberlin, KS
    I’m not cowhand but this may be a generational thing. Gotcha to me means: ah ok, got you now. Now I understand, etc. It’s not a negative phrase.

Maybe we need a pole or thread similar to “fair enough”.
    Apologies. I see the intended context. I hope you get your Model 10 soon and that you enjoy the heck out of it. It's been called the most iconic double action revolver, and I agree with that statement. Even with a Hillary Hole, they exude something "Special".

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Apologies. I see the intended context. I hope you get your Model 10 soon and that you enjoy the heck out of it. It's been called the most iconic double action revolver, and I agree with that statement. Even with a Hillary Hole, they exude something "Special".

No apologies to me needed. You had responded to imaoldcowhand. I was sitting in a boring meeting and decided to reply.

Having said that, I have a few nice older Smiths and someday I do want to pickup a humble model 10 HB like the one I learned to shoot with in the shape and price I want to pay. Pre lock for me.

Arloe

Dec 30, 2023
    Oberlin, KS
    I have had great results with Badman Bullets' Elmer Keith-inspired SWC with its front driving band, polymer coated and sized at .358 after coating. 16BIN hardness according to Badman. They are shipped free, per thousand now (when in stock), at 13 cents apiece. Very clean shooting and handling with no burnt grease smoke to inhale. Also shoot them in .357 medium loads at 1350 fps. I've shot Badman polymer coateds in many calibers and different weights and shapes for several years and don't plan to change.

Complaints about the prices and availability of components for reloading are there, but I would say noticeably less than those related to commercially manufactured ammunition.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I enjoy .38 Special, started with a pre model 15 Combat Masterpiece, added a model 10-6 in nickel and more recently a Model 14 Masterpice. To round it out I have a Model 17 Masterpice as .22 is a lot cheaper than .38 to shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like .38 Spl and +P better than .357.
    Yeah, old age and arthritis does make a difference.

I'm currently looking to trade my like new Taurus PT92 Compact w/ 4 magazines for an S&W M10 w/ heavy barrel.

Any takers?
    Especially in a snubby like the S&W 340PD. Fully loaded it weights 16 ounces. Took it to the range the first time and shot a "mild" 357 mag handload. Nope...38spl+P it fine. 357 mag in it it uncomfortable...

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    Yes. Enjoy shooting it out of several .357 revolvers I have plus an Uberti 1873 chambered in .357. Fun for plinking and less expensive than .357.

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    A great cartridge. Suitable for a wide range of power levels, inherently accurate easily reloadable. Still viable today for range or defense purposes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So why can't we find 158 gr (LRN, SWC...whatever) readily available anymore? Where'd this 130 gr silliness come from and why is it (now) so ubiquitous? :shrug:

Because the factories were already tooled up for 130 gr fmj for mil & gov't contracts domestically and internationally , so economy of scale .

The bonus pitch , is closer POI to 125 gr defensive loads .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom