• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I ordered a Bushnell scope specifically because their site said it was made in south Korea. Well, stamped right on the body of the scope is MADE IN CHINA. Can you tell I'm pissed? Fair warning the folks at Bushnell are liars and in bed with the enemy just like the rest of them.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    OP, I suggest you stop reading the country of origin or you are likely to stroke out. Well at least be prepared as the ending to "Made in" is quite predictable.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Call Larry Hogan and see if he can help.
    I heard he has a South Korea connection.

EWEEJ7JXQAM_afg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In some cases, there's "made in..." and then there's "assembled in...". Both are misleading.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I suspect it’s a mistake on their website and that in itself should warrant a return with full refund. I don’t think this is some nefarious case of false advertising with the intent of misleading customers into a purchase that they would have otherwise avoided.

I am curious which specific product was it? Also other than the “Made in China” markings is there any obvious signs of poor quality or workmanship? I’ve purchased things made in the USA that are not what I would call great products.

The reality is that quality is more about the company/plant processes and culture than the actual location of the plant itself. In a previous career I’ve worked at plants in Mexico and Morocco that were ISO9001 certified and using variation of GE’s SixSigma process controls. Those plants made products of equal quality to their U.S. counterparts within the same organization.

Now If you want to avoid purchasing products made or assembled in China for political reasons, I totally get that too.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I did the same thing. I just got a Bushnell3-9x40 the other day. I ordered from their website. I had thought they were built in Japan at least. I can't remember what I read that led me to believe it was Japan. I had been looking at a lot of brands lately and probably got mixed up. Some of the high end US made scopes have a cheaper line made in China or elsewhere. I thought I'd try and still find an economic brand built in Japan or the Phillipines but obviously did not do enough research.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've returned optics because of county of origin screwups (Burris RT8, to be specific).

No cheap optics are made in Japan, outside of maybe the SWFA 10x. You can find stuff in the $250-$300 range made in the Philippines and South Korea, but most of it is going to be Chinese. $500 and up, you have better options, but there are still way too many companies selling overpriced Chinese-made optics in the < $1000 price range.

I've successfully weened myself off Chinese-made scopes, excepting a single prism optic I still have lying around on an AK. I have not quite done the same with reflex sights, and to be honest, that's hard because Holosun makes stuff that is genuinely better than everyone else for certain uses (the HE510C-GR is a magnificent PCC optic, no way around it).

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I once ordered a pair of socks and the label on them said "Made in the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea".

I actually reported it to customs and they called to interview me.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    I'm sorry Jim when I get on amazon most of the items I look at say made in China in the early eighties a large group of us tried to stop walmart from building in a city in PA we failed and we just wanted quality things to be made here in USA not China sad times we are in.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I've returned optics because of county of origin screwups (Burris RT8, to be specific).

No cheap optics are made in Japan, outside of maybe the SWFA 10x. You can find stuff in the $250-$300 range made in the Philippines and South Korea, but most of it is going to be Chinese. $500 and up, you have better options, but there are still way too many companies selling overpriced Chinese-made optics in the < $1000 price range.

I've successfully weened myself off Chinese-made scopes, excepting a single prism optic I still have lying around on an AK. I have not quite done the same with reflex sights, and to be honest, that's hard because Holosun makes stuff that is genuinely better than everyone else for certain uses (the HE510C-GR is a magnificent PCC optic, no way around it).

Interesting, the (3) HS510C-GRs I got were incredibly blurrly under magnification (the red dot versions were not). Maybe the HS is different than the HE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom