• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavEhr

Surf Fishing Beach Bum
    Jul 31, 2010
    On a beach somewhere
    I love this weather and look forward to doing some fall camping. I have spent the last 15 years camping at Assateague in October. I'm looking for something a little different this year. Any Ideas?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Try White Oak Canyon in VA or any of the parks in that area. It's close to Old Rag Mtn from which you can see 4 or 5 states.

SCUBA9097

Aug 28, 2010
    New Castle, Delaware
    Try the Swatera area of the AT in Pennsylvania. There's a ridge up there that has an amazing view overlooking farmland. I can scan and send you the topo if you're interested.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I love this weather and look forward to doing some fall camping. I have spent the last 15 years camping at Assateague in October. I'm looking for something a little different this year. Any Ideas?

What kind of camping do you do? If you're into backpack camping, you can't go wrong on the A.T.

Tons of Maryland state parks

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/mdmap.asp

What area are you in, easier to recommend something close to you.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I almost cringe to divulge this place but here goes: Dolly Sods West Virginia. As of this weekend I have now completed every trail in the northern half. Now to finish the southern and most rugged area.
    DS is a plateau about 4ish miles wide and 10 or so miles long. Pine forests, hardwood forests, heath, and bog.
    USFS Dolly Sods
    Another wiki link on DS
    Red Creek campground is on FR75 and is good if you don't want to backpack. Pit toilets and spring water. This past weekend the pump was broken but the water from there always tasted like rust. There is a spring across the road from the pump that has sweet clean water that, even though the sign says to purify it, I've never had any issues with the water straight out of the pipe.

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    I almost cringe to divulge this place but here goes: Dolly Sods West Virginia. As of this weekend I have now completed every trail in the northern half. Now to finish the southern and most rugged area.
    DS is a plateau about 4ish miles wide and 10 or so miles long. Pine forests, hardwood forests, heath, and bog.
    USFS Dolly Sods
    Another wiki link on DS
    Red Creek campground is on FR75 and is good if you don't want to backpack. Pit toilets and spring water. This past weekend the pump was broken but the water from there always tasted like rust. There is a spring across the road from the pump that has sweet clean water that, even though the sign says to purify it, I've never had any issues with the water straight out of the pipe.

You wont be walking that southern portion with no legs bud! :D

Since it has already been put out I second the above :thumbsup:

I have to go back for 2miles of trail that will probably turn into a 5 mile loop.
    Good site with trail maps: http://www.hikesite.com/

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    You mean this one? :innocent0 :D

Photo013.jpg

Greenridge is the best place to camp in MD IMO, but it is primitive camping with no facilities, you're out in the woods on your own. Maybe not the best place to take the family for a first outing. :D

If you're into backpacking or hiking Dolly Sods is probably the best within 4 hours, very very pretty and varying country & terrain out there. The snow can hit early, I can't remember for sure but I think it was mid November last year and we got snowed on. Here's a few more pics of the scenery I snapped with my phone...

Photo022.jpg

Photo008.jpg

This one's "official", it's even got the foot in it. :thumbsup: We camped right in that spot and woke up in the clouds the next morning.

Photo009.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom