Fastest Deer Skinning Technique? (Golf Ball and Truck)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    You know, I've seen various video's demonstrating that technique. But I would be afraid of pulling the deer apart. I still skin the old-fashioned way....

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    By the time you get the truck all situated you could have had it done by hand. Now...if you have a few to do then it would probably be worth the effort.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I skin them while they are warm and with the help of a skinning knife the skin comes off faster then it would take to set all that up.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    My way is easier. I pay the butcher $ to do it. I think he charges $5 extra to skin the deer but don't know if his prices have gone up. Great thing is he uses the same type of technique. Only difference is instead of a truck he uses an electric winch mounted in the ceiling of his shop and a wipcheck on the floor. Works great and is by far the easiest way I have done it.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    They skin fine when still warm, nice and fresh. Make the cuts you need, free the tail, remove the legs at the joint, remove tarsals on bucks ( and clean your knife right after for this), and just start pulling and peeling. You do need to skin a little to each side of the incisions so the meat doesn't peel too. After skinning, be sure to remove the windpipe and whatnot.

Don't use this method when skinning for a mount! That is a bit different.

here's a pic of skinning for a shoulder mount- there are specific areas to cut a certain way too

Attachments

• deerskinning.jpg
      deerskinning.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 383

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    After reading the comments here, I decided not to try the trailer hitch approach. I skinned it the old fashioned way, and butchered the deer myself. Unfortunately, I shot another doe today, and my brother did too. His freezer is full, so he gave me his. I now have two to process, so I'm taking them both to the butcher.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    The first time I ever saw someone skin a deer was with a golf ball and some rope. Insert the golf ball, tie knot around skin and golf ball and pull; no truck. Worked pretty good.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I figured I'd do the golf ball and rope trick, but tie the rope to a dead tree on the ground. I will be hanging the deer from my front loader, so...I'll just lift the bucket (and the deer hanging from it). Shouldn't be much setup. I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom