• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I do power pro, but for surf fishing. Bigger reels and I like it. I get it at bass pro because they ll spool your reel on their machine for you if you buy from them. Walmart has cheap prices on lines.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have always just use power pro as that is what I could find at walmart years back. I am not a brand loyalist though. Works great for most everything except weightless rigging. The line doesn't spool good and tangles more when fishing weightless flukes and such. I kind of need a rod wit mono only just for that.

I always use leaders. Buy a roll and strip two arms length and spool around three fingers and then tape with small piece of scotch tape and sharpie the weight on it. In a ziploc sandwich bag and in a pocket in my kayak pfd for fishing vest.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I have always just use power pro as that is what I could find at walmart years back. I am not a brand loyalist though. Works great for most everything except weightless rigging. The line doesn't spool good and tangles more when fishing weightless flukes and such. I kind of need a rod wit mono only just for that.

I always use leaders. Buy a roll and strip two arms length and spool around three fingers and then tape with small piece of scotch tape and sharpie the weight on it. In a ziploc sandwich bag and in a pocket in my kayak pfd for fishing vest.
    I use braid for most of my fishing, but found out it doesnt work well with slip bobbers. Mono slides through the floats much better

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    I used to use Suffix 832, but a couple of years ago switched over to Daiwa J Braid, 8 strand. The Daiwa is more quiet on the retrieve and is also a little cheaper and I just like it overall better than the Suffix. I use Yozuri Hybrid or Sunline Sniper for fluoro main line or leaders for a few not using braid.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I used to use Suffix 832, but a couple of years ago switched over to Daiwa J Braid, 8 strand. The Daiwa is more quiet on the retrieve and is also a little cheaper and I just like it overall better than the Suffix. I use Yozuri Hybrid or Sunline Sniper for fluoro main line or leaders for a few not using braid.
    Have you tried the Daiwa Samurai braid. I love it.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Have you tried the Daiwa Samurai braid. I love it.
    Yeah. I used it (55#) in the surf when I was in Jersey. Great stuff, but expensive (at the time. haven't looked it it lately). 40-60# leader. I was after Stripers and Blues mostly so the heave leader was necessary for the Blues.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Yeah. I used it (55#) in the surf when I was in Jersey. Great stuff, but expensive (at the time. haven't looked it it lately). 40-60# leader. I was after Stripers and Blues mostly so the heave leader was necessary for the Blues.
    yes it is a bit on the pricey side. But it will last for years. Never tried surf fishing but for bay stripers I use the 30# and works fine.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I use that on all my bass spinning gear because of its increased sensitivity and invisibility under water. It is a little stiffer than mono.

Most of the water I fished on the lower and upper Potomac(as well as Susquehanna) is shallow and clear. Fluoro does not refract/reflect sunlight like mono does. On the tidal Potomac, I used mostly Senkos, unweighted and drifting along the edges of grass beds. I would also drop them into holes in the grass beds. The whitish Spiderwire would float in the surface tension of the water while the leader would sink down into the strike zone. If a flea landed on or touched any part of that rig, you would see it in the Spiderwire before you ever felt the bite. It was deadly as hell.

On the upper Potomac, I'd use the same set-up, but with either tube baits, hair jigs(light ones), and Fluke type baits, depending on the time of year. Same deal on the Susquee.

With Fluke fishing, I recommend a small swivel between leader and running line. Otherwise, you get a good bit of line twist.
    when I fish in Pulaski, you have to have a leader. I follow exactly how the Clown does it.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I use Kast King super braid. Never let me down with 30# in the surf and 20-30 in the bay for stripers and the unfortunately small blues we have. I will sometimes top it with fluoro leader when the fish are picky.

ETA: good test on the fluoro vs mono in the post above. I choose it certain conditions because I think it is less visible. I have never felt it was less abrasion resistant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom