• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    Feb 10th is expedited?

Why does this court stuff have to take so damn long, why not next week or maybe next month. The way this stuff drags out for years drives me crazy.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    30 days for the defendants to reply to the complaint, 30 days for a counter to the reply, so that's 60 days, then time for the judge to take it all in and then have the hearing.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Great so right at the start of next year's legislative session. Next February and March are going to be very busy for all of us.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Plaintiffs in a second case that challenges the new laws have agreed to hold off on any immediate hearings in their case while the other case works its way through the court system.

Does this mean they won't go for an injunction to stop the HQL process?

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I can only hope they get their act together then

Ditto, their showing was incredibly poor last time. Hopefully they will get their act together next time around.

Frankly, this should be a slam dunk for us. There have been previous decisions on how you can’t license a right and there have been previous decisions on how commonly owned firearms can’t be banned. If we lose this one it’s going to be either because of corrupt judges or a terrible legal team.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Ditto, their showing was incredibly poor last time. Hopefully they will get their act together next time around.

Frankly, this should be a slam dunk for us. There have been previous decisions on how you can’t license a right and there have been previous decisions on how commonly owned firearms can’t be banned. If we lose this one it’s going to be either because of corrupt judges or a terrible legal team.

Not so fast - the 2d Cir just ruled that NYC handgun permit fees were allowable "admin cost recoupment".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

SFbrah

ლ(ಠ_ಠ )ლ
    Jul 30, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD

I feel the same way.

There is a ton of "low hanging fruit" in the bill which can be attacked, successfully at that, in my opinion.

All we are looking for is a ruling in our favor. If we stay away from the self righteous (albeit honorable) "shall not be infringed means shall not be infringed" talk and go for that low hanging fruit which has tons of precedence that is either directly related and/or can be indirectly inferred to apply to this bill, we have a good shot at invalidating a part of the bill. If that happens, i believe that would invalidate the bill as a whole (at least that's my understanding, the whole bill will have to be rewritten. Could be wrong).

At the end of the day, just do what works.

Take a page from the "affordable care act" supreme court hearing. Obama said time and time again, to the public, "it's not a tax". In court, Obama's legal team argued that it was a tax so it passed. Time to play dirty like the Democrats.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Not so fast - the 2d Cir just ruled that NYC handgun permit fees were allowable "admin cost recoupment".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I may be just spitballing here, but we do pay a "fee" every time we buy a regulated firearm. $10 goes to MSP each purchase. A fee is a fee, but not a license. Now, they could turn around and try next time to make the fee go to $50 or more (as an example), but making someone go through licensing is a separate argument and has already been deemed as "can't license a right." So, if NY's ruling is based on fees and not licensing, hopefully they attack the issue at a different angle.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    The word was that the legal team that was present for the injunction was less knowledgeable about SB281 than the opponent. Described as embarrassing.

Telescoping stocks were in SB281 so it sure would seem they knew about it. Not so sure too many folks will do much cheering about the "leniency" i.e. strikeouts found in SB281. For example, I believe MD is the only state where there is an outright ban on M1A's.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    The word was that the legal team that was present for the injunction was less knowledgeable about SB281 than the opponent. Described as embarrassing.

Telescoping stocks were in SB281 so it sure would seem they knew about it. Not so sure too many folks will do much cheering about the "leniency" i.e. strikeouts found in SB281. For example, I believe MD is the only state where there is an outright ban on M1A's.

NJ?

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD

From NJSP:

"Both the Division of Criminal Justice and the State Police Firearms Unit have received a number of inquiries whether the Colt Match Target Rifle and the Springfield M1A are considered assault firearms under New Jersey law.

Based on our review of the law and the Attorney General guidelines, we conclude that neither of the two firearms are prohibited under State law."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom