• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.libs

Feb 9, 2013
    Crownsville, AA County
    Charging handle fitment with upper receiver?

Hi All,

I recently picked up the two upper/lower sets I ordered. I was just checking parts for fit on one of the uppers and noticed that the latch on the charging handle I was using would not fully engage with the relief on the upper receiver. This allows the charging handle to be pulled back fully without disengaging the latch.

The first charging handle was from a S&W M&P 15. I then tried the same test with a Vltor/BCM Gunfighter charging handle and also one marked "SMI" that was supplied with an Adams Arms upper. The SMI charging handle essentially gave the same results as the M&P 15 handle. While the Vltor/BCM handle latch managed to fully engage with the upper and could not be pulled back without disengaging the latch.

I then did the same test with the second Eng Arm upper and got the same results.

I also noticed that all 3 of the handles were able to move back and forth slightly (probably about .010-.020") when mated to both the M&P 15 and BCM uppers. While there was no noticeable forward/back travel with the Vltor/BCM handle when mated to the Eng Arm uppers.

I hope my description above makes sense and welcome any insight as to what may be contributing to the issues I'm seeing.

Also wondering if anybody else is experiencing similar issues??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Upper and issue with B.A.D. lever.

I attempted to install a Magpul B.A.D lever on an Engage Lower with an Engage Upper. With the lever installed the upper wouldn't allow the bolt lock lever to release properly. There is not enough space between the upper and release lever with the BAD installed. I would suggest more milling on the upper to remove excess material on future production runs. Compared to other uppers I have the engage upper has a lot more meat left on it.

I installed the Bad lever on my other Engage lower with a SOTA arms upper and it works great.

BlueRibbon

Jan 18, 2013
    My first build

Finally I got all the parts and tools yesterday. Didn't waste a minute and start building. Took me about 1.5 hours to complete the lower, including watching youtube video, laying on the floor looking for the lost detent, trying to figure out how to put on that Magpul STR stock using the dummy round...

This is my first AR, and first rifle too. Thanks to everyone at Engage. All in all, it went smoothly. I taped it pretty good with blue painter tape then fiber glass shipping tape. Looks like it survived all the hammering and tapping without any scratch ;) By the way, don't remember who recommend this tool, but it works great! Although I still lost the detent a couple of times.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x...ersal-Clevis-Pin-88008/202210286#.Ue83Oo2cd8E

One problem though. I got some cheapo Thermold 20-round mags which won't lock into place properly (no click, and mag pulls out easily without pressing release button). PMag works fine. It appears the Thermold doesn't go far enough into the magwell because of the ridge on the mag body. A picture of the mag on midwayusa:

872091.jpg

Is it common certain type of mags don't fit into the AR receiver?

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Finally I got all the parts and tools yesterday. Didn't waste a minute and start building. Took me about 1.5 hours to complete the lower, including watching youtube video, laying on the floor looking for the lost detent, trying to figure out how to put on that Magpul STR stock using the dummy round...

This is my first AR, and first rifle too. Thanks to everyone at Engage. All in all, it went smoothly. I taped it pretty good with blue painter tape then fiber glass shipping tape. Looks like it survived all the hammering and tapping without any scratch ;) By the way, don't remember who recommend this tool, but it works great! Although I still lost the detent a couple of times.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x...ersal-Clevis-Pin-88008/202210286#.Ue83Oo2cd8E

One problem though. I got some cheapo Thermold 20-round mags which won't lock into place properly (no click, and mag pulls out easily without pressing release button). PMag works fine. It appears the Thermold doesn't go far enough into the magwell because of the ridge on the mag body. A picture of the mag on midwayusa:

872091.jpg

Is it common certain type of mags don't fit into the AR receiver?

Because we designed the lower to have a way wider mag flare than normal some mags with a real wide expansion past insertion neck have some issues. Essentially those mags are designed to work on the standard forging flare which has a minimal scoop. We actually did additional machining movements on each lower so it would accept every type of mag that we had. The thermolds were not something we considered. I'll snag one of the thermolds and do some measurements and see what further refinements we can make.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    The depth of the relief is the issue I believe, although on the upper end it thins out with the interior curvature for the BCG

Attachments

• IMG_3370.JPG
      IMG_3370.JPG
      22.8 KB · Views: 916

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    My feedback - I like to look at them...

Honestly, other financial issues have pushed my budget in another direction and I have not been able to afford the remaining parts (these are my first ever builds, truly my first personal firearms). As soon as the budget allows, will start getting parts and see if I can put one of these together from the ground up.

BlueRibbon

Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks for the explanation. Do you have some 20-round pmag or aluminum mags in stock? May need to pick some up before they become illegal in MD.

Speaking of Thermolds... After taking a closer look, I noticed 2 points are touching the inside of the magwell (marked in red). I might just take a dremel and reduce the two corners a bit on the mag.

Because we designed the lower to have a way wider mag flare than normal some mags with a real wide expansion past insertion neck have some issues. Essentially those mags are designed to work on the standard forging flare which has a minimal scoop. We actually did additional machining movements on each lower so it would accept every type of mag that we had. The thermolds were not something we considered. I'll snag one of the thermolds and do some measurements and see what further refinements we can make.

Attachments

• 872091.jpg
      872091.jpg
      5.6 KB · Views: 854

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks for the explanation. Do you have some 20-round pmag or aluminum mags in stock? May need to pick some up before they become illegal in MD.

Speaking of Thermolds... After taking a closer look, I noticed 2 points are touching the inside of the magwell (marked in red). I might just take a dremel and reduce the two corners a bit on the mag.

We do have some 20rd PMags in stock. We keep them in the back for our builds but just ask for me, Andy and Ill snag them

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    Picked my new born lowers up today. Just finished building one of them with a Palmetto Lower Build Kit and ALG Defense ACT trigger kit. All parts fit. Seems to function. Will range test on Sunday. This lower fits my Adams Arms and Palmetto Uppers tighter than my LRB lower.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Andy --

an accuwedge/adjuster is a nice add.

IMO, a threaded bolt catch hole is a MUCH nicer add. I have several lowers with the threaded hole and it simply makes the assembly process so much nicer/easier for us that don't have a lot of time with the roll pin punches. No need to tape up the lower for fear of scratching it.

my 2 cents - great lowers - can't wait for my next 2 and my uppers to arrive.
    Thanks

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty

I tried to dremel the corners but in order to get the Mag to seat I ended up having to remove about 1/8" all the way around the ridge base before it would seat. Even then after getting the mag to seat the magazine would not feed reliably. It would fail to strip the first round and last round.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    We did not take into account the thermold mags at all. I actually hadnt even seen one in several years. Blue Ribbon brought one by and they're really designed for forgings. It looks like we cannot modify our billets to fit them. If you must use the thermolds, it will require extensive mods or just use a forging.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You may also want to test a few 9mm magblocks for compatibility. I've had past issues with those in billet lowers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom