• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBossman1

Mar 11, 2009
    Kensington
    Agreed, I did the same thing and came to the same conclusion.

It's like riding the slide forward when loading a pistol. You'll usually get a failure to feed, but if you operate it as it was designed you will not have that issue.

Previous post will be edited...

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

I call them "finger ****ing malfunctions"... Malfunctions that only appear while finger ****ing and not when using a weapon for live fire.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I call them "finger ****ing malfunctions"... Malfunctions that only appear while finger ****ing and not when using a weapon for live fire.

Lol I like that. I may have to steal that one.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    The matched sets are awesome... can't wait to build mine out. Need to get the cash together for the upper though, but I've seen enough sets to see they look amazing.

I picked up two of the Engage lowers w/ logos, brought them home and set them down against Noveske and Seekins Precision lowers... and damn, the Engage lowers look better! better finish, equivalent if not better design, manufacture, finish... can't wait to pick up my uppers and build 'em out. Top quality from what I can see.

Thanks again to Andy & Co.!

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    No M4 feed ramp relief cut into the upper?

No. These are A3 pattern without the M4 feed ramps.

If your rifle is set up correctly they are not necessary. Of course, if you have feeding problems due to gas issues you can have them cut into the receiver to match your barrel extension.

For the record, LaRue Tactical Stealth uppers are also A3 style without M4 feed ramps and are known to work just fine. :thumbsup:

BBossman1

Mar 11, 2009
    Kensington
    Unless you're shooting F/A at a high cyclic rate with a carbine length gas system, the average end user will never miss M4 feed ramps.

M4 feed ramps were incorporated into the design to address specific problems encountered under the above conditions. They have since been considered as necessary because thats what customers want, whether they're needed or not. Sort of like "fitted" slides and frames on 1911's are supposed to be a sign of "better" quality that a customer can check at the time of purchase.

Longvisit

Jan 2, 2013
    Hey guys, not sure if this was mentioned yet, but I tried a Troy Industries ambi mag release on my engage lower I just picked up, and it does not hold the mag properly. Due to the increased thickness of the receiver around where the little push tab from the release sits, it holds the mag release further out, preventing the mag from being held.

I may end up coming in and having you guys machine a little part of the receiver there to allow the mag release to sit properly. As a left handed shooter it is kind of a bummer that it doesn't fit, but at least the solution wouldn't be too terribly invasive.

I ran into the same problem last night. Any chance you solved it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I will trust you all and Engage's design, thanks for the edumacation!

When we designed this we actually tried to steer away from a lot of things that I consider "gimicky". In retrospect the allen key bolt hold open has a lot of follows and it is a pain to install the roll pin so future builds will incorporate that feature. We have had a lot of requests for tension screws which I think is because some other manufacturers do that. Ive been hesitant to do that since overall our goal would be to create battle rifles, which need to be easy to use, set up, but more importantly take apart quickly. Uber tightness is cool, but its not cool if you need a punch to tap our the rear take down.

So in the next batches there will be changes as we hone things and hear what everyone has to say about the set up.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    When we designed this we actually tried to steer away from a lot of things that I consider "gimicky". In retrospect the allen key bolt hold open has a lot of follows and it is a pain to install the roll pin so future builds will incorporate that feature. We have had a lot of requests for tension screws which I think is because some other manufacturers do that. Ive been hesitant to do that since overall our goal would be to create battle rifles, which need to be easy to use, set up, but more importantly take apart quickly. Uber tightness is cool, but its not cool if you need a punch to tap our the rear take down.

So in the next batches there will be changes as we hone things and hear what everyone has to say about the set up.

Andy,
    Think you guys will go Ambi?

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo

Honestly, the threaded bolt hold open is nice, but I didn't find it hard to install the roll pin. I also removed the roll pin and bolt hold open in anticipation of finding a Phase 5 EBRv2...so hurry up and release your own battery assist lever!

Regarding the tension screw: my other upper has it and I thought it was a nice feature. The beavertail on my grip makes it a bitch to adjust and it seems to have loosened up a bit despite Loctiting it. All said and done, I don't think it's necessary and you were right in that an Accu-Wedge is a simple and cheap fix for those who want a tighter fit.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    By the way, we have been using some Phase 5 tactical bolt devices with our uppers. They are compatible and are working well. We also have our own under development but no firm ETA.

Question for you here. Getting ready to build mine up and I was going to order a phase 5 for it. I noticed there are (2) versions of the lever now, is it safe to assume they both work with the matching EA upper/lower combos? I assume so, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

<EDIT> or let me know if your EA version is ready :)

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Question for you here. Getting ready to build mine up and I was going to order a phase 5 for it. I noticed there are (2) versions of the lever now, is it safe to assume they both work with the matching EA upper/lower combos? I assume so, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

<EDIT> or let me know if your EA version is ready :)

Both will work but one is designed for side charging handles. This is the guy that we use:

http://www.phase5tactical.com/products/ar15-m16/ebrv2-

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom