• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • should the convicted be able to own firearms...

• yes

Votes: 37 22.3%
    • no

Votes: 64 38.6%
    • yes, with restrictions

Votes: 65 39.2%

• Total voters

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I think felonies need to be partitioned by type and then specific types should prevent ownership. "Felon" is too broad for any type of restriction.

krucam

Ultimate Member

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I think it depends on the crime committed and if they are a repeat offender. I have a friend that committed a felony at 16 years old and was tried as an adult. He went to prison for 10 years for his crime and has been out for 11 years now without as much as a speeding ticket. In his case I think he has served his time for what he did and I would have no problem with him getting his constitutional rights back.
    I know that most felons will be repeat offenders and they should not get those rights back.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The only felon unable to purchase or own guns is a dead one. I was at first going to say "poor," but felons can always work off the debt they owe their drug dealer. Then I was maybe going to say "one locked up in jail," but I recalled that you can get guns and drugs in jail too.

So, your question really boils down to: "Do you believe someone who has a criminal record should be dead?" Probably not. Depends on the crime.

Perhaps you should poll people whether the .gov can stop felons from being able to purchase or own guns.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Any right should not be blindly restricted for life, it requires due process, and judicial oversight. Any prohibited person should be able to have all their rights restored after satisfying their sentence and parole/probation. The rub is that doesn't work out so well in our F-ed up revolving door legal system. It requires a simple premise, that dangerous people are arrested, tried, and incarcerated or executed, and released only after they have paid their debt to society. Even with the F-ed up system we have, I would rather EVERYONE be able to obtain a firearm uninfringed, and prosecute those that commit crimes than surrender our rights to the government for rationing to law abiding citizens while criminals ignore the law and get their firearms anyway.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The problem is that most felons are predominately recidivist dirt bags.

I occasionally float the idea that if a person completes entire sentence including parole, and then goes another 10 years ( exact timing subject to debating) without any subsequent offenses, they've probably reformed themselves.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Should someone that has multiple DUI convictions be allowed to ever own a vehicle again? Things that make you say...hmmmmmm

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I've battled with this for a few years. I know ex-cons (who I once worked with), who have turned their lives around, living in some not-so-nice neighborhoods and their safety is on more shakier grounds than mine. I feel bad they aren't allowed to the same rights as I am. I'm not sure me feeling bad is enough and I can't answer the poll yet. Alucard may have said it best, since the un-reformed just out side their door don't bother with the law and remain armed.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Presumably, those who have served their sentences have paid their debt to society. If we actually believe that, then there's no reason to restrict their natural born ability to self defense. We all know the justice system is broken in this country, but it's what we have, and it's also the best in the world.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    The only felon unable to purchase or own guns is a dead one. I was at first going to say "poor," but felons can always work off the debt they owe their drug dealer. Then I was maybe going to say "one locked up in jail," but I recalled that you can get guns and drugs in jail too.

So, your question really boils down to: "Do you believe someone who has a criminal record should be dead?" Probably not. Depends on the crime.

Perhaps you should poll people whether the .gov can stop felons from being able to purchase or own guns.

Nice.. ;)

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The problem is that most felons are predominately recidivist dirt bags.

I occasionally float the idea that if a person completes entire sentence including parole, and then goes another 10 years ( exact timing subject to debating) without any subsequent offenses, they've probably reformed themselves.

Very similar to my thoughts. Can't come up with a definite play book.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Tough question, as it depends so much on the person and type of felony. I know an electrician who was charged for a small folding Buck knife in his pocket. Great guy with no violent tendencies. Just a wrong place wrong time sort of deal.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I think felonies need to be partitioned by type and then specific types should prevent ownership. "Felon" is too broad for any type of restriction.

Agreed. Isn't speeding at X miles over the limit a felony in VA? What constitutes a felony too often depend on what state you're in.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    Violent Felon no, but my guess is if they will find a way to get a gun legal or not.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i think instead of infringing on our 2A rights because there are dangerous, violent felons we don't trust with firearms (or knives, fists, etc), they should stay in jail until the point, if ever, they can be trusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom