• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Just got my FFL 03 today, so I'm looking to pick up some WWII hardware. Specifically German and Russian arms as well as cold war era Chinese stuff. What are some reputable websites that sell C&R eligible guns? I looked on GunsAmerica and their C&R family section was very much NOT C&R. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, how old do you have to be to get a FFL 03? My brother is 18 and wants one, but I can't find any official documentation on age restrictions. Also, if he did get the FFL 03, could he buy C&R eligible handguns in MD before turning 21?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Local is better, even for a premium. Nothing like inspecting in person before forking over cash. Otherwise, Classic Firearms and SOG are good places to start. I'm a fan and many-times customer of Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms but you have to respond quickly when the emails go out.

Your brother has to be 21 before he can buy non-antique handguns.

Jul 1, 2012
    It really depends on what you're looking for (surplus with import marks, shooter grade, collector grade, rifle, handgun, etc etc).
    The dealers that specialize in the more collectible grades will be more expensive as you might imagine, but will generally have much better quality and full return policies.
    You're paying a premium for their knowledge and effort in tracking stuff down, which is far better than fumbling around and paying too much for too little until you build a knowledge base and get comfortable.

It's always a good idea to buy good reference books that focus on your areas of interest.
    They will pay for themselves many times over in the long run.

some folks that I've found to be very helpful (and also stand behind their wares):
    Simpson LTD (http://www.simpsonltd.com/)
    Legacy Collectibles (http://www.legacy-collectibles.com/)
    David Rachwal (http://www.handgunsoftheworld.com/)
    Collectors Firearms (http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/)

These sellers will provide listings/pictures for the specific firearm you're interested in purchasing vice the luck of the draw with the surplus guys.
    In each case, I've talked directly with a knowledgeable guy that pulled the item of interest and walked thru it over the phone to make sure it matched the description.
    About the best you can do short of actually having it in your own hands (sometimes better, since there's a good chance they might know more than me about it :) )

There are also several reputable sellers on Gunbroker and Auction Arms that provide great listings & pictures.
    Again, they typically get top dollar but they usually have $1 true auctions.

I've never dealt with Dennis Kroh but I've never heard anything but positive comments about his offerings.
    Without fail 80% of the items are sold by the time I get his emails...

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    On another note, how old do you have to be to get a FFL 03? My brother is 18 and wants one, but I can't find any official documentation on age restrictions. Also, if he did get the FFL 03, could he buy C&R eligible handguns in MD before turning 21?

You have to be 21 to get your FFL03. Its one of the questions they ask on the application. As Boom Boom pointed out, same applies in MD in general except for antique handguns. In fact federal law prohibits transfer from any FFL dealer to someone under 21 of a handgun. However, some states allow it via private sale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom