FFL transfering banned firearm to personal collection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 31, 2013
    I've searched the internet and the forum but haven't found an answer. Now that certain long guns are banned in the state of MD, can a ffl transfer a banned rifle that is in inventory to his personal collection?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I doubt it but as long as the gun is under his FFL how are you going to prove its personal. Maybe hes not selling it but holding it for investment purposes, and occasionally shooting it.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    If it was done prior to 10/01/13, no problem. If the gun in question was acquired post 09/30/13, hhhmmm, good question. Wish this was asked earlier this mornin' as I would have picked up on it and asked today while MSP was doin' a MD compliance inspection today.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Those guns become the FFL holders if they are not sold in the event he relinquishes his FFL. I wonder how the Law handles this in MD. I have no idea.

Feb 28, 2013
    Those guns become the FFL holders if they are not sold in the event he relinquishes his FFL. I wonder how the Law handles this in MD. I have no idea.

The way I'm understand it is that he would have to give them up, unless the previous owner died.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    You assume that MSP would even know the answer.

Yeah, good point there. My thought on this subject would be to keep it on the books as shop inventory but as the owner, the gun can be used any time the shop owner desires. Then when the shop owner goes outta' business for whatever reason, other than becoming a prohibited person, the gun in question becomes their personal property.

reidpath

Jun 10, 2014
    I've searched the internet and the forum but haven't found an answer. Now that certain long guns are banned in the state of MD, can a ffl transfer a banned rifle that is in inventory to his personal collection?

I spoke with Cpl Edwards on this early this year, which I guess should be taken with a grain of salt b/c it isn't in writing but for what it is worth...

It depends on what type of business your FFL is for (Sole Prop vs all others) which subsequently defines what type of business your Regulated Firearms License is under. Sole Proprietors can absorb their current inventory into their personal collection upon expiration of their license or at any time during.

It must be registered as a new resident/inheritance would once the license expires. It cannot be transferred to anyone in state obviously but is welcome to leave the state to another FFL. This goes hand in hand with how they handle regulated handgun transfers to sole proprietors without needing to do a 77R just the A&D record.

All other business types cannot transfer their banned inventory to the owner b/c that constitutes an actual transfer between two entities ie. a LLC and a person.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I spoke with Cpl Edwards on this early this year, which I guess should be taken with a grain of salt b/c it isn't in writing but for what it is worth...

It depends on what type of business your FFL is for (Sole Prop vs all others) which subsequently defines what type of business your Regulated Firearms License is under. Sole Proprietors can absorb their current inventory into their personal collection upon expiration of their license or at any time during.

This goes hand in hand with how they handle regulated handgun transfers to sole proprietors without needing to do a 77R just the A&D record.

All other business types cannot transfer their banned inventory to the owner b/c that constitutes an actual transfer between two entities ie. a LLC and a person.

This ^^^ as I edited is correct. The rest will come in my next post.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

*****It must be registered as a new resident/inheritance would once the license expires. It cannot be transferred to anyone in state obviously but is welcome to leave the state to another FFL.***** This goes hand in hand with how they handle regulated handgun transfers to sole proprietors without needing to do a 77R just the A&D record.

The part of this ^^^ post that has the *****before and after does make sense. Also this coming from Edwards will usually carry some credence.

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks for the answers. Now in current day can a ffl purchase a banned long gun from their distributor and then claim as personal collection? Or would he need to designate it as inventory and then use it as "his"?

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks for the answers. Now in current day can a ffl purchase a banned long gun from their distributor and then claim as personal collection? Or would he need to designate it as inventory and then use it as "his"?

I'm thinking that IF the distributor in question would even ship such an item here, it would have to be "inventory" that would have to be sold on the internet to an out of state resident.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    OK , so far we seem to have an answer about a sole prop FFL with pre-10/01/13 Evil Rifle in inventory cease FFL status.

For the $64 question how about an FFL with a post 10/1 Evil Rifle in inventory ( only offered for sale out of state or to gov't agency, but not sold) who now leaves FFL status ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom