• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I have all my paper work ready to be sent in for a special field, hopefully they still have them once i send mine in. Does anyone know for sure that you need to have the application signed by a notary? I know Chesapeakeiron did. But is it required? or should i do it just to be safe?

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    yes it is required, follow the directions on form and the read the CMP requirements on the forum

I actually called the CMP directly to verify since, the rules on the forum are not detailed State by State. The CMP rep told me that if it is a requirement in your state, then you need to have it notorized. If it is not a requirement in your state, then dont do it. I only had it done because it was easy for me to get it notarized.

So - I too am curious about this.....Can you tell me on the form where it details where it is required for everyone? IIRC it said only if necessary on the form

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    As far as I know the notary is a CMP requirement not a state requirement. I have been around CMP since the 90's and never heard otherwise

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/ordering-information/

ok makes sense...The form is actually what sparked me to ask the questions, here is the exert from the instructions. Doesnt really matter to me, since I already submitted a notarized form and recieved my rifle, but it still does beg my curiousity. Im not sure where we as MD's could find out exactly.

Attachments

• CMP Notary.JPG
      CMP Notary.JPG
      20.6 KB · Views: 268

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I actually called the CMP directly to verify since, the rules on the forum are not detailed State by State. The CMP rep told me that if it is a requirement in your state, then you need to have it notorized. If it is not a requirement in your state, then dont do it. I only had it done because it was easy for me to get it notarized.

So - I too am curious about this.....Can you tell me on the form where it details where it is required for everyone? IIRC it said only if necessary on the form

Thank you chesapeake, that is where i was confused with the notary. I will get it done.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Over on the Ordering Information page it gives the specifics on the Notary issue:

Repeat Customers:

In the summer of 2003, the CMP revised the purchase forms and streamlined procedures for repeat customers. If you complete a new Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement to buy a rifle from the CMP, signed before a Notary Public on or after July 1, 2003, you may for a period of three (3) years thereafter submit an application to purchase additional rifles, parts or ammunition without having the Purchaser Certification and Agreement notarized - provided that the “SHIP TO” address on the order form remains exactly the same.

Although for repeat orders you will not have to have the forms notarized, hard copy liability/order/certification forms – pages 1A,2A,and 3A – must still be completed and sent to the CMP with original (wet) signatures. These orders may not be faxed or emailed.

After three years a new notarized Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement will be required for any additional rifle purchase. Any change of address on the order form automatically will require a new notarized Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement.

Please note that this streamlined procedure is available only to customers who have completed a notarized “Universal” Purchaser Certification and Agreement. An application submitted on an earlier form (dated before summer 2003 or not titled “Universal” will still be processed by CMP, but for that transaction only; it will not be accepted for repeat sales.

Proof of citizenship, age, CMP-affiliated club membership and competitive shooting participation, and any copy of any license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card required by your State or locality submitted with your initial “Universal” application will be kept on file by the CMP. If any item of proof above has expired, you must submit proof of current status with any subsequent application.

Most people redo the Notary when ordering another rifle because you have to mail the paperwork and having it Notarized resets the the three year clock for online purchases.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Over on the Ordering Information page it gives the specifics on the Notary issue:

Most people redo the Notary when ordering another rifle because you have to mail the paperwork and having it Notarized resets the the three year clock for online purchases.

Oh awesome this clears everything up, and the lady I spoke with knew about as much as I did :sad20:

when it says if neccessary on the order form, its refferring to those who are in the three year window, since its not necessary for them. Has nothing to do with what state you reside.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I continue to trim my healthy inventory of M1 Garands, but I have no entry level rifles available at this time. I do have some early 1950s Springfield Armory pieces and a few International Harvesters for sale. No WInchesters or HRAs either.

WIth the CMP inventory of Garands at an alltime low, it might be a good time to purchase a Garand as we see the prices escalating base simply on supply and demand. I am selling for health reasons alone and still have some of the harder to find Garands here for anyone interested.

Prices from #1,250 to $2,200 for the most part, and a few select rifles over $3,000 down the road. Buyers have the privilege to inspect, ask questions, get educated a bit and shoot the piece at the AGC range complex on Marriottsville Road, Balt county.

Lew--Ranger63

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    Case added the afternoon of the 8th
    Serial and tracking number added this morning.
    It was birthed in ~April 1943

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I got my M1 Collector's Club membership card came in the mail yesterday. I have everything all ready to send out I just need to get it notarized. Who do you guys use for Notary's? I have hardly had to use a notary before except for the MD Designated Collector application, Bluefins took care of that for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom