• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Lew..You should be ashamed..

I continue to trim my healthy inventory of M1 Garands, but I have no entry level rifles available at this time. I do have some early 1950s Springfield Armory pieces and a few International Harvesters for sale. No WInchesters or HRAs either.

WIth the CMP inventory of Garands at an alltime low, it might be a good time to purchase a Garand as we see the prices escalating base simply on supply and demand. I am selling for health reasons alone and still have some of the harder to find Garands here for anyone interested.

Prices from #1,250 to $2,200 for the most part, and a few select rifles over $3,000 down the road. Buyers have the privilege to inspect, ask questions, get educated a bit and shoot the piece at the AGC range complex on Marriottsville Road, Balt county.

Lew--Ranger63

As a "OLD' U-6 Beaver pilot you should be ashamed. At your old age you should disposing your ill-gotton wares at a more reasonable price to the neophytes so that they may live and prospher. No different than teaching a qualified but inexperienced Pilot lessons rather then busting up an airplane.

Just in case, in your elderly state, you don't remember who I am I'll give you this clue.

Nha Trang RU-8D Pilot 66-68

Last edited:

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    Is that a PB trigger housing? I just looked at a couple of rifles like that at the Charleston Cabela's. No I mean not as nice as that and for a whole lot more! Like twice as much.

It does seem to be. I'm very green with all things Garands, so I had to go look what that meant. For others like me: "marked PB indicating manufacture by Fabbrica d'Armi Pietro Beretta S.p.A."

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Beretta was contracted after WWII for replacement parts for the Garands.
    I have a '43 that has berretta parts all over it. Rifle likely saw action in the European theater.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    As I posted earlier in this thread, I ordered a Field Grade for $630 on 12/20/16. Yesterday I got an email from CMP telling me that my order would still be between 2 to 4 months till delivery however they just got some Service Grades ready and for $730 I could get one right away. I told them ok and today got the shipping notification with delivery tomorrow. Will post pics when it arrives. Did not say if it will be a Springfield, H&R or IHC. Guess it will be luck of the draw.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    As I posted earlier in this thread, I ordered a Field Grade for $630 on 12/20/16. Yesterday I got an email from CMP telling me that my order would still be between 2 to 4 months till delivery however they just got some Service Grades ready and for $730 I could get one right away. I told them ok and today got the shipping notification with delivery tomorrow. Will post pics when it arrives. Did not say if it will be a Springfield, H&R or IHC. Guess it will be luck of the draw.
    99.99% chance HRA or SA. Win and IHC are sold at a premium.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    This might be the best place to ask this, but a gunshop near me has what I'm told is a service grade select M1 for $1100. I'm told the previous owner never shot it, and upon initial inspection, it looked like it was well taken care of. Can't remember the serial number off the top of my head (it was a high number, not unexpected), but is an SA with a barrel dated sometime in '55, and the stock has the CMP cartouche on it. Everything supposedly comes with the rifle when it was bought from the CMP. My question is, does $1100 sound right given the circumstances? It's on consignment, (I've asked the owner of the shop about layaway as a possibility, but haven't gotten an answer, so I'm assuming that's a no-go) and I'm trying to decide if it'd be worth some temporary financial pain to just outright buy it.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    If its truely a service grade special its worth it. They sold for 1095 3 years ago. I would make sure it truely is that but... if it is they are close to perfect metal without a GI stock. Track down a nice GI stock and you have something that closely resembles a correct grade.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You can get a special right now for 830.00 it will come pretty-tight if you are looking for a shooter and may not be taxed with free shipping and back up from CMP The one you are describing seems to be on replica stock which is what the special is though. Seems kind of high to me but everybody is snapping them up. You should be able to see the certificate, barrel hang tag,a read this first, hard sided case or original cardboard box a clip maybe a sling and a empty chamber indicator. There's quite a bit of things to know about an M1 aside from MZ and TE but it may not be there long. Only you can say before taking the plunge. Either way I doubt you would be disappointed in the long run but if you have to replace some parts in the trigger group or op rod your in the hole at the LGS.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    You can get a special right now for 830.00 it will come pretty-tight if you are looking for a shooter and may not be taxed with free shipping and back up from CMP The one you are describing seems to be on replica stock which is what the special is though. Seems kind of high to me but everybody is snapping them up. You should be able to see the certificate, barrel hang tag,a read this first, hard sided case or original cardboard box a clip maybe a sling and a empty chamber indicator. There's quite a bit of things to know about an M1 aside from MZ and TE but it may not be there long. Only you can say before taking the plunge. Either way I doubt you would be disappointed in the long run but if you have to replace some parts in the trigger group or op rod your in the hole at the LGS.
    Not exactly correct....

CMP has Service grade, Service Grade Special, and Special Grade.

Its important you establish which the rifle is. If it has a hang tag or cert get it. May even be worth reaching out to CMP.

IF its a special that price is too high.

IF its a service grade special that is a steal. As I said above, I seem to remember they were 1095 3 or 4 years ago and they went pretty quick. I have one that hardly looks to have been cycled.

Specials did not have GI barrels from what I remember. They were mix masters that were reparked and they all had Criterian barrels.

Service Grade Specials were rifles that were practically unshot and mint metal but no GI stock.

Big difference for collectors

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Not exactly correct....

Its important you establish which the rifle is. If it has a hang tag or cert get it. May even be worth reaching out to CMP.

IF its a special that price is too high. IF its a service grade special that is a steal.

Specials did not have GI barrels from what I remember. They were mix masters that were reparcked and they all hard Criterian barrels.

Service Grade Specials were rifles that were practically unshot and mint metal but no GI stock.

HUGE. :thumbsup:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    This might be the best place to ask this, but a gunshop near me has what I'm told is a service grade select M1 for $1100. I'm told the previous owner never shot it, and upon initial inspection, it looked like it was well taken care of. Can't remember the serial number off the top of my head (it was a high number, not unexpected), but is an SA with a barrel dated sometime in '55, and the stock has the CMP cartouche on it. Everything supposedly comes with the rifle when it was bought from the CMP. My question is, does $1100 sound right given the circumstances? It's on consignment, (I've asked the owner of the shop about layaway as a possibility, but haven't gotten an answer, so I'm assuming that's a no-go) and I'm trying to decide if it'd be worth some temporary financial pain to just outright buy it.

Have you visited the CMP web site and reviewed the rifle grades?
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    In your description you stated "service grade select ". I do not see anything on the CMP site using the term select. You might want to determine where that came from.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Not exactly correct....

IF its a special that price is too high.

IF its a service grade special that is a steal. As I said above, I seem to remember they were 1095 3 or 4 years ago and they went pretty quick. I have one that hardly looks to have been cycled.

Specials did not have GI barrels from what I remember. They were mix masters that were reparked and they all had Criterian barrels.

Thats why I said you should see the certificate and there is a lot to know, but thanks for chiming in! Hell it could be a rack grade from years ago that is better than the service grades out now that everybody is knocking themselves over for.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    In your description you stated "service grade select ". I do not see anything on the CMP site using the term select. You might want to determine where that came from.
    Many of the SGS were 55 and 56s im guessing someone labeled it wrong but its definitely important to establish that before commiting to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom