• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    So I finally made it up to the AGC Range to do some shooting, I've had my membership since late February. So I guess I can give a report...

Love the range, I went with a buddy on Thursday at around 2pm. There was only one other person on the Pistol range, and we were by ourselves on the 100yd Range until around 4pm. It was great for my buddy because it was his first time shooting.

We spent about an hour over at the pistol range. I had him try out the following:

Walther P22 - my favorite training pistol, and my buddy absolutely loved it. It works great as an introduction for new shooters.

S&W Model 59 - my first "real" caliber pistol. Had some issues with the magazine feeding. I had one jam, wasn't happy about it, and my buddy was too intimidated by the jam to try out this pistol.

Zastava EZ40 - my newest pistol. I really enjoyed shooting this, it is essentially a SIG Clone, looks and functions the same. I am happy with it, and while at first intimidated by the larger caliber, my buddy enjoyed shooting it as well.

Then we went up to the rifle range and spent about an hour with the following:

Custom built AR15 (mostly Palmetto State Armory parts) - this was my first time firing it since finishing the build. I was happy with it except for the stock I put on it was starting to hurt my shoulder. Again, my buddy seemed intimidated by it, and I get the impression he didn't care for it much.

Ruger Mini-14 - also my first time firing this, absolutely loved it. Was pretty close to dead on at 100-yds. I was even able to get my buddy on paper at 100-yds with it. It was his favorite for the day.

Mosin Nagant 91/30 (1943) - buddy really liked this one. We didn't get too many rounds through it before getting a fail to fire. I had to shelf it after that and it appears I have a broken firing pin spring (on order).

Anyway, that's my range report...

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Glad you enjoyed it, I spent quite a bit of time out there this weekend also, great place to spend your day.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Always good to spend time at the AGC! I wish I could spend more time shooting there rather than teaching or attending meetings.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Great to hear that you had a good time. You should have been there Saturday morning. Arlington RPC was ringing steel clangers with centerfire rifles. A rare treat!

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I do not currently have a membership at any ranges. I find myself now shooting on a weekly basis lately and am starting to think I would save a lot of cash becoming a member somewhere. Does agc have any indoor ranges or is it outdoor only? I was considering a membership at freestate gun range since I also enjoy shooting indoor when weather isn't ideal. If agc had the best of both worlds that ultimately is what I would prefer.

MDlocal

Jan 11, 2013
    Frederick
    I like AGC. Been a member for a couple months now but really just started shooting there on a regular basis a few weeks ago.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I do not currently have a membership at any ranges. I find myself now shooting on a weekly basis lately and am starting to think I would save a lot of cash becoming a member somewhere. Does agc have any indoor ranges or is it outdoor only? I was considering a membership at freestate gun range since I also enjoy shooting indoor when weather isn't ideal. If agc had the best of both worlds that ultimately is what I would prefer.

Outdoor only for the rimfire/centerfire guns. We do have a nice indoor air gun range!

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Outdoor only for the rimfire/centerfire guns. We do have a nice indoor air gun range!

Ty for the reply. I have decided I will stop by this coming weekend to check it out. I sure don't want to be stuck indoors during nice weather. I'll do some more reading on the AGC site as well, tx again for the reply

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    What's......Mosins can break?!?!

Well, this is really my own stupidity, or laziness, or whatever you want to call it. I didn't do a thorough cleaning on it before I took this one out to the range for the first time. I took apart the bolt yesterday and the spring and firing pin were fine, so I assume it had a lot to do with the good amount of Cosmoline I removed from the bolt. I cleaned it up really good, and put the new spring in anyway.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Ty for the reply. I have decided I will stop by this coming weekend to check it out. I sure don't want to be stuck indoors during nice weather. I'll do some more reading on the AGC site as well, tx again for the reply

Depending on when you are there, look for me and I will be glad to show yu around.

With 29 clubs meeting at the AGC, I am sure you can find one that suits your shooting desires.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    If you join AGC/Affiliated Club after July 1st, the fee is $75 instead of the usual $150.

Just to be clear, you join an affiliated club first, then pay dues to shoot at the range. You don't actually "join the range". All clubs require that you attend a range orientation.

There are several clubs with low fees, find the one where someone can come out closer to your schedule. Some only host meetings once a year, and July isn't typically one of the months.

Baltimore Rifle (my club) is pretty flexible, I got in to take orientation two weeks after initial inquiry but your results may vary.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Depending on when you are there, look for me and I will be glad to show yu around.

With 29 clubs meeting at the AGC, I am sure you can find one that suits your shooting desires.

Thanks very much!! I will do my best to take you up on that very soon. I mostly shoot pistols and rifles, so hopefully there is a good fit.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    If you join AGC/Affiliated Club after July 1st, the fee is $75 instead of the usual $150.

Just to be clear, you join an affiliated club first, then pay dues to shoot at the range. You don't actually "join the range". All clubs require that you attend a range orientation.

There are several clubs with low fees, find the one where someone can come out closer to your schedule. Some only host meetings once a year, and July isn't typically one of the months.

Baltimore Rifle (my club) is pretty flexible, I got in to take orientation two weeks after initial inquiry but your results may vary.

Yes this was my understanding after reading up on the website. I had also looked at the link for your club Baltimore rifle which seems to match my pistol and rifle intrests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom