• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.

Submitted by Gun Owners of America,

Gun Owners of America has obtained an email from the FBI regarding changes to the NICS background check system to implement gun control.

On Monday, September 26, 2022, federal firearms licensees (FFL) will experience… new features of the FBI's NICS transaction process. One… change is tied to the passage of the NICS Denial Notification Act of 2022.

Collection of Buyer's Address— The NICS Denial Notification Act of 2022 requires the FBI's NICS Section to notify state, local, or tribal law enforcement of all FBI NICS denied transactions within 24 hours. The FBI must provide notification to law enforcement based upon the location of the FFL and if different, the purchaser's address. To support the determination of what local agency should receive the notification, FFLs will be required to provide the buyer's complete address to NICS as recorded on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Form 4473 when transactions are denied or delayed. The address information will be required before the status can be provided or retrieved either by the NICS contracted call center or via the NICS E-Check.

More at the article...

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    This is not sounding good. The way I’m understanding this. There is so many unproven allegations that can trigger a NICS flag ….and to be further placed on suspicion or legal blacklisting based on a NICS flag begs for constitutional questioning.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    "This change would require that an investigation be launched into every background check denial, even though nine times out of 10, the NICS system has falsely denied law-abiding citizens from exercising their rights...."

So does that mean the 9/10 falsely denied citizens no longer need to initiate a UPIN review?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So the FBI does have your address?? I thought a NICS was an FBI check....could be wrong though
    My point was that when a dealer calls in a NICS check, they only give them your name, not your address.
    It wouldn't be hard for the FBI to find your address on their own.
    The article says that it will soon be required for the FFL to provide the address as well, unless I'm missing something.

Antlers09

Aug 6, 2013
    MD
    My point was that when a dealer calls in a NICS check, they only give them your name, not your address.
    It wouldn't be hard for the FBI to find your address on their own.
    The article says that it will soon be required for the FFL to provide the address as well, unless I'm missing something.

That’s what I’m thinking. I’m sure the FBI already has a list of all our names and addresses as gun owners, and now carry permit holders. Not sure I see the reason for concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    That’s what I’m thinking. I’m sure the FBI already has a list of all our names and addresses as gun owners, and now carry permit holders. Not sure I see the reason for concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I doubt they have a list of MD permit holders

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    They already have your full name and date of birth.
    Any 10 year old kid with an internet connection can find your address in 45 seconds.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    If the transferee is a delay or deny then the NICS operator (or eNICS) will need the responses to section 10 (address) and section 25 (gun show info) before providing the NTN. I have had it happen twice since the procedure changed on 09/26.

Since in WV a CHL = No NICS I am very strongly encouraging all of my customers to get one even though we are a constitutional carry state.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Part of me is confused as to how they didn't already know your address?? Are they just linking systems now??
    Has to do with the breadth and connectedness of " They " .

Yes , the full info was already on the 4473 at the FFL . The ATF and/ or relevant state agency if any , would have to become aware of the denial , contact FFL , and then proceede . Doesn't happen very frequently .

New procedure cuts out the first two steps . Any delay or denials will now get automatically reported to local PD within 24hrs , without ATF or locals having to proactively initiate an investigation .

In a hypothetical world where only Actual Prohibited Persons would trigger , this would be a good , albeit rare thing .

In this world , where 90% of denials are false positives , and many delays are due to computers being down , or backed up with lots of sales , it will be a $hit storm .

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    Has to do with the breadth and connectedness of " They " .

Yes , the full info was already on the 4473 at the FFL . The ATF and/ or relevant state agency if any , would have to become aware of the denial , contact FFL , and then proceede . Doesn't happen very frequently .

New procedure cuts out the first two steps . Any delay or denials will now get automatically reported to local PD within 24hrs , without ATF or locals having to proactively initiate an investigation .

In a hypothetical world where only Actual Prohibited Persons would trigger , this would be a good , albeit rare thing .

In this world , where 90% of denials are false positives , and many delays are due to computers being down , or backed up with lots of sales , it will be a $hit storm .
    Hmm, that makes sense now....but would sending the info to the local PD cause them to come to your house for an investigation?? Interesting for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom