• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    I've flown with firearms checked in with Southwest four times. The last time was a year and a half ago. I was just going through their baggage policies before my upcoming flight and noticed that the maximum baggage size is 62 linear inched (length + width + height). Anything after that is considered oversized and gets a $75 fee. My FAA qualifying hard rifle case is 70 linear inches. And I noticed that several popular hard rifle cases from Cabelas and Dick's are over 62. And I noticed at United, Southwest and Delta all have the up to 62 linear inches before a fee. I wasn't charged anything extra when I flew in the past. Either they didn't notice, or the policies have changed. Has anyone noticed if this is a new trend? Are there any airlines that will take a commonly sized rifle hard case without charging an extra fee that anyone is aware of? I'm looking at a an extra $150 for this trip ($75 each way). Might just ship my gear...

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Everything has changed when flying. A year and a half ago is like ancient. You used to not have to buy meals or drinks, the cockpit door stayed open, and people could actually smoke (until someone threw a butt into the bathroom trash and burned the plane up mid-flight).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Mid Maryland E

Hand Engraver
    Sep 10, 2013
    Middletown
    You are better off shipping them insured!

I was just at the Ohio Gun Collectors Shiw in Cleveland last weekend. I took a bunch of my engraved pistols with me. I had them boxed in an approved, locked container. No problem clearing check in at either airport.

The problem I had was their total disregard for safety and security. Both airports my guns came out on the baggage carousel like regular luggage. Fortunately I was standing there as they came out, but nonetheless is was fairly upset that they weren't handled in a secure manner.

I'm glad I didn't have a problem, but it was clearly apparent that they are truly oblivious to potential security problems.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    That policy is longstanding and I have never had an issue flying on Southwest with cased bows and they exceed that length..

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    I've flown with specialized sporting equipment cases that go outside the listed regulations on many airlines and have never run into any extra fees.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You are better off shipping them insured!

I was just at the Ohio Gun Collectors Shiw in Cleveland last weekend. I took a bunch of my engraved pistols with me. I had them boxed in an approved, locked container. No problem clearing check in at either airport.

The problem I had was their total disregard for safety and security. Both airports my guns came out on the baggage carousel like regular luggage. Fortunately I was standing there as they came out, but nonetheless is was fairly upset that they weren't handled in a secure manner.

I'm glad I didn't have a problem, but it was clearly apparent that they are truly oblivious to potential security problems.

Did you put extra insurance on them?

If not, why would you expect them to handle them any differently than any other luggage?

Remember, once the case goes into the baggage handling system, no one knows that it contains a firearm. The tags are INSIDE the case.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Everything has changed when flying. A year and a half ago is like ancient. You used to not have to buy meals or drinks, the cockpit door stayed open, and people could actually smoke (until someone threw a butt into the bathroom trash and burned the plane up mid-flight).

It was Frank Lautenberg that banned smoking in airplanes... :mad54:

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA

Hate to break it to you, but that's all airports & airlines, not just one in particular.

There's a thing in the photographer community where they will put a flare gun or starter pistol in their camera equipment (okay, really they pack their cameras in the starter pistol case) and have them checked as a firearm.

Since you don't use a TSA-approved known-insecure lock for firearms, TSA lackeys have a harder timet stealing your camera equipment, and it makes them look REALLY bad when a "firearm" (even a lowly starter pistol) goes missing.

Honestly flying with them has a bit of hoop-jumping, but compared to other methods, it's not that bad. (Unless you fly out of certain airports where they won't let you stand there while they inspect your firearms. Then it sucks. I think that's San Jose.)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The baggage handlers have no idea your luggage contains a firearm. Federal law prohibits the marking of any luggage that contains a firearm. Would you prefer it be marked so it's obvious what it contains?

Not me.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I've flown with specialized sporting equipment cases that go outside the listed regulations on many airlines and have never run into any extra fees.
    I have as well, it is a long standing luggage policy, but I have flown with bow cases (oversized) many times on SW and never had an issue, or a fee for checked bags..

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I used to put TSA style locks on my bags. They always came back missing. I gave up on locking luggage. Putting non TSA locks on bags is a waste of time IMO as they come back missing too IME.

I do run a security cable from my locked gun container through the handle tubes inside my bag. If the gun box gets taken, the luggage must follow.

ninjaroll

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 27, 2013
    I went hunting in Montana two months ago and bagged a Hugh Elk. Triangle Airlines made me buy a second seat for the carcass. I wrote a letter complaining about this to the CEO as did the four people ahead and behind the Elk.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    I find that...

You can get photography equipment cases that meet TSA requirements, and then pack the rifle / shotgun in a soft case inside the other case.

It's not obvious is a firearm, and most of them have wheels and a handle so that you can pull it through the airport...

(The cases are also pretty nearly indestructible...)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Zero issues flying with weapons on Southwest or any other airline.

I will put my gun case inside another suitcase and lock the suitcase as well.
    I do this for handguns as well, but rarely fly with long guns...

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I mistakenly purchased a Pelican case that was a few inches larger than the max size allowed by most airlines.

I have not once been charged an oversize bag fee.

It could be that I typically fly FC, or the novelty of declared firearms, but no one has ever attempted to charge me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom