• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRCruzzin

Nov 5, 2013
    Guys I'm pretty new to the shooting community so I wanted to get more experienced people two cents worth.

I have a question regarding firearm storage in residents outside of campus. Yesterday a group of us were in a university library that is part of the University of Maryland System working on a class project when one of the campus police officers came in and noticed a Knights Armament wallpaper on a girl's laptop in our group. I didn't realize that the wallpaper was up on the computer but they kept starring in our direction for at least five minutes when they came to the table and began asking the five of us about having firearms on campus and off campus residence, literally drilling us. They also asked to search us and our bags which we essentially laughed off and refused. Luckily none of us live on campus as we all live just off of campus or in apartments neighboring campus (which on paper are still considered off campus).

My question: is it not legal to store a gun in a house/apartment that is in the surrounding a college campus provided it is stored in compliance with state laws? I can't find anything that really says yes or know other than don't take them on state property ie the University grounds.

Thanks in advance folks

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    Guys I'm pretty new to the shooting community so I wanted to get more experienced people two cents worth.

I have a question regarding firearm storage in residents outside of campus. Yesterday a group of us were in a university library that is part of the University of Maryland System working on a class project when one of the campus police officers came in and noticed a Knights Armament wallpaper on a girl's laptop in our group. I didn't realize that the wallpaper was up on the computer but they kept starring in our direction for at least five minutes when they came to the table and began asking the five of us about having firearms on campus and off campus residence, literally drilling us. They also asked to search us and our bags which we essentially laughed off and refused. Luckily none of us live on campus as we all live just off of campus or in apartments neighboring campus (which on paper are still considered off campus).

My question: is it not legal to store a gun in a house/apartment that is in the surrounding a college campus provided it is stored in compliance with state laws? I can't find anything that really says yes or know other than don't take them on state property ie the University grounds.

Thanks in advance folks

I am not a lawyer but as long as the building isn't legally part of the school and it isn't against your lease to keep firearms you are in the clear. I live very close to an elementary school, within the school zone, and am exempt from the school zone gun free provisions while on my property.

JRCruzzin

Nov 5, 2013
    I am not a lawyer but as long as the building isn't legally part of the school and it isn't against your lease to keep firearms you are in the clear. I live very close to an elementary school, within the school zone, and am exempt from the school zone gun free provisions while on my property.

That is what I thought also. Someone just told me the Capstone Apartments prohibit them in the contract. I haven't heard/seen of any of the privately owned houses banning them in contracts though

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I didn't realize that the wallpaper was up on the computer but they kept starring in our direction for at least five minutes when they came to the table and began asking the five of us about having firearms on campus and off campus residence, literally drilling us. They also asked to search us and our bags which we essentially laughed off and refused.

Kudos to you and your friends for standing up against a violation of your rights!

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    That is what I thought also. Someone just told me the Capstone Apartments prohibit them in the contract. I haven't heard/seen of any of the privately owned houses banning them in contracts though

It is a thing, especially in liberal urban areas. A Colorado Springs case from a few months ago questioned the validity of such a ban in public housing but the building in question changed the policy before it could get anywhere with a greater impact. Read your lease agreement.

Edit: even if it is in the contract it is a civil matter, not one for the police to deal with.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis

Thanks in advance folks

It's legal to store in your off campus apartment as long as your lease doesn't prohibit it. If it does, time to move!

JRCruzzin

Nov 5, 2013
    Which would most likely lead to an eviction and possibly a fine from the sounds of it. Still not a matter for the police.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    So if you would've had a picture of a pot leaf on the computer would they have asked to search you?

Is wearing an NRA t shirt reasonable suspicion?

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    You did right. Not sure how your conversation went but I would have asked what business did they have asking such intrusive questions.

JRCruzzin

Nov 5, 2013
    So if you would've had a picture of a pot leaf on the computer would they have asked to search you?

Is wearing an NRA t shirt reasonable suspicion?

Seems that way. Leads me to the question who is more of a joke Maryland, California, or New York

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/03/22/urban-survival-the-greyman/

No sense drawing undue attention, unless you want to handle the consequences regularly. I would say that the officers were being a little TOO proactive.

I'm throwing the BS flag. All she had was a background on her confuser. Have we become that much of a pansy-assed country that we need to hide the fact that we are firearms enthusiasts? Don't get me wrong, discretion is the better part of valor, but really?

JRCruzzin

Nov 5, 2013
    You did right. Not sure how your conversation went but I would have asked what business did they have asking such intrusive questions.

It basically it went that way. We just asked where the probable cause was for a search. He avoided the question and we pretty much said hey if there isn't any then we have a project that is due in a couple of days, have a nice day. I was VERY surprised they didn't try to do a pat down which I thought they could do.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    In the University of Maryland system it is against university policy to have a firearm on campus property, not law.
    I've been walking around with my Molon Labe shirt at UMDCP since last year and nobody ever stopped or talked to me.

JRCruzzin

Nov 5, 2013
    In the University of Maryland system it is against university policy to have a firearm on campus property, not law.
    I've been walking around with my Molon Labe shirt at UMDCP since last year and nobody ever stopped or talked to me.

Sounds like CP is the place to go to. It caught me off guard

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It basically it went that way. We just asked where the probable cause was for a search. He avoided the question and we pretty much said hey if there isn't any then we have a project that is due in a couple of days, have a nice day. I was VERY surprised they didn't try to do a pat down which I thought they could do.

Which campus are you at? I'm at UMCP and I walk around with gun related shirts all the time. UMPD has never given me crap for it. They also walked by my table at First Look Fair where I had a PMAG, various dummy rounds and shell casings, in addition to Dan_G and I having our AR uppers. Multiple people asked us if we were allowed to have guns and ammo on campus, not knowing that the dummies were just that and the uppers weren't firearms. UMPD officers walked by a few times, but never said anything negative. One thanked us for never causing any trouble for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom