• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have a female cousin who fired a gun once and will never do it again. Her ******* boyfriend told her how a 9mm was the entry level for self-defense, so no reason to own anything smaller. He gave her a Beretta 92 that she dropped on the first shot. He got angry, she got scared, whole thing was a disaster.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I have a female cousin who fired a gun once and will never do it again. Her ******* boyfriend told her how a 9mm was the entry level for self-defense, so no reason to own anything smaller. Her have her a Beretta 92 that she dropped on the first shot. He got angry, she got scared, whole thing was a disaster.

Sounds like she needs to lose her ******* boyfriend and get a .380 :)

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    What an *******.
    Started my wife with a 22, upped to a 380acp. where she stopped. Fired my 9mm glock 19 once. She has a 380acp.

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I have a female cousin who fired a gun once and will never do it again. Her ******* boyfriend told her how a 9mm was the entry level for self-defense, so no reason to own anything smaller. Her have her a Beretta 92 that she dropped on the first shot. He got angry, she got scared, whole thing was a disaster.

SMDH - I wonder how many potential potential firearm enthusiasts/2A supporters will never join the fold or a hobby that they'd really enjoy because of similar experiences.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My wife grew up shooting the 22 rifle propped up in the corner of the kitchen (still a great shot with iron sights), but wasn’t a handgun girl. We got into cowboy shooting, and she did well with 38 revolvers, while enjoying my 45LC Colts once in a while.

But now years later, she’ll happily shoot anything, and loves her all metal CZ Tac 2 in 9mm. Only thing that doesn’t appeal is something like a super boxy Glock grip (like on a G21) since she’s got smaller lady hands. But racking and handling pretty much anything is just fun for her, and the only recoil that annoys her is a too-light high power rifle with big game loads. That’s just unpleasant. But she’s game! Always makes her sad to hear about a fellow lady that got off to a bad start and is missing out.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    What an *******.
    Started my wife with a 22, upped to a 380acp. where she stopped. Fired my 9mm glock 19 once. She has a 380acp.

Yep - recoil sensitivity is a personal thing and new shooters have to figure out where they are comfortable. I am not particularly recoil sensitive, but my wife has a lower tolerance. With rifles, I taught her on .22lr and we worked up to .270 Winchester, which is where she maxed out in terms of comfort (and accuracy bc of comfort). With handguns, started with the same and the upper bound was .380acp. I cannot imagine how badly it would've gone trying to have her first go be on a .338 win mag rifle or my G20 for handgun.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    A former co-worker of mine is a woman of smaller stature and she found out that she likes a .380 best. Her boyfriend uses a 9mm, but it was too large for her hands and the recoil bothered her wrist. Nothing wrong with using a .380 if that is what you are comfortable with.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As long as the 380 is not a blowback gun that has more recoil then a locked action 9 mm

380 does not mean less felt recoil in fact most older 380s will be blow back action and have more felt recoil

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I've know plenty of females who started out shooting sig .357 and were just fine. I don't subscribe to the "Start out small" theory like many. It's all in the instruction.
    Literally most "boyfriends" don't know how to shoot.
    But the "funny" videos of someone new and scared shooting some big ass caliber, are not funny and down right dangerous.

Michael S

Nov 6, 2012
    Towson
    My wife started with a colt 1911 45. She loved it except it ejected strait up and she was wearing a low cut shirt. After putting her jacket on she had a great time. Still tells me she loved the big holes in the target.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That video was irritating - I could have done without all of the snarky comments and condescension, and gotten everything I needed to see from the clips themselves showing just how dumb some people can be with something so potentially dangerous.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have worked a bunch of Women on Target classes. We give the ladies the choice of what the want to try without any preconceived expectations. We instruct them the correct holds, etc. We don't use a SW500. We have both revolvers and semis of various calibers.
    One of most important item that I will tell them is about low cut shirts and hot brass. That is a quick way to ruin a good day in more ways than one.

BTW, I hate those stupid gun tricks videos.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    As long as the 380 is not a blowback gun that has more recoil then a locked action 9 mm

380 does not mean less felt recoil in fact most older 380s will be blow back action and have more felt recoil

I had a Rock Island “Baby Rock” .380 for a short time. It was very uncomfortable to shoot.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've know plenty of females who started out shooting sig .357 and were just fine. I don't subscribe to the "Start out small" theory like many. It's all in the instruction.
    Literally most "boyfriends" don't know how to shoot.
    But the "funny" videos of someone new and scared shooting some big ass caliber, are not funny and down right dangerous.

Yes this. If the goal of the instruction is self defense, then it needs to be in a sufficient caliber. Does take experience to help a new shooter start out in 9mm, but most every able bodied adult can handle a 9mm with good instruction in basic fundamentals. Have taught defensive handgun to people from 100lb females to elderly folk and 0 problems with the first live fire being 9mm. Of course if the goal is to "shoot something" especially for kids, then it's an easier goal, easier instruction, and 22s can be a valid choice. And agreed not funny, all it shows is the person that basically endangered a new shooter is a moron. It's pretty infuriating to watch that as an instructor that has spent a lot of time trying to help fix bad experiences and bad advice on a regular basis.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I had a Rock Island “Baby Rock” .380 for a short time. It was very uncomfortable to shoot.

Reminds me of my old Bersa- had some snap to it back when I was a noobie. LCP’s still do have some snap but easily controllable when you get your grip right.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yes this. If the goal of the instruction is self defense, then it needs to be in a sufficient caliber. Does take experience to help a new shooter start out in 9mm, but most every able bodied adult can handle a 9mm with good instruction in basic fundamentals. Have taught defensive handgun to people from 100lb females to elderly folk and 0 problems with the first live fire being 9mm. Of course if the goal is to "shoot something" especially for kids, then it's an easier goal, easier instruction, and 22s can be a valid choice. And agreed not funny, all it shows is the person that basically endangered a new shooter is a moron. It's pretty infuriating to watch that as an instructor that has spent a lot of time trying to help fix bad experiences and bad advice on a regular basis.
    Truth.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    can never have enough training dad was a hunter but passed away when I was 21 so I learned more from hubby always afraid of rifles due to hurting my shoulder so I started with his 357 love shooting wish I did more of it wish I would have gotten into it a lot earlier than I did, enjoyed every class I had

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    My now deceased godfather had a private range set up at his property in Culpeper that we'd go to monthly. He and along with my dad taught me shooting. Everything was well, safety wise, but they just didn't believe in earpro for some reason (told me the traditional way was to pop your ears)...at age 7, a 22lr was manageable, but I was discouraged to shoot anything bigger because of the noise.

Looking back into it, my dad and I probably have some levels of tinnitus. Aware of this, all the new guys that go to the range with me get 2 layers of protection of ear-pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom