• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    I finally bought my first Benchmade knife. I got a first production run Volli. I must say this is a big step up in quality from the knives I have been carrying all my life. The only down fall is now I want more... :)

1000001.jpg

stock photo from benchmade

Last edited:

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Sweet! I have a Bradley Mayhem that was made for them by Benchmade. Superb quality. And I have a Benchmade 9051 auto inbound. Can't wait to get it!

Nice knife ya got there!

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    I like my Benchmade, although it's a little larger than what I was used to with a Kershaw. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361540007.369788.jpg

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    I am getting ready to order a few more Benchmades, the Volli was a trial to see how I would like them and well what can I say, I am hooked.

I am looking at getting a 950 rift and a mini and full size Doug Ritter RSK MK1. I am also going to get my wife a pink mini RSK MK1.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    It's a Sibert Adamas folder Axis lock.

Sharpest knife I've ever had. Will shave the hair off your arm.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

bn_bullet

Nov 15, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Nice knife! You really can't go wrong with any Benchmade. I carry an HK Nitrous Blitz made by Benchmade and it is probably the best knife I've ever owned. I have had it for several years and it holds a great edge.

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    Hey guys, on the Axis Lock knives, can the blade be "freed up" enough to 'sling' it closed as well as open? I have a Gerber 0-6 "manual" version that I've totally abused for years.I'd like to get something with a non-serrated blade but it needs to be one-handed open AND close. I've had and still have automatics but I don't want to have to "force" my work-knife closed.Gotten so used to 'sling open-'sling closed' ,that I'll never go back!:D PS,I'm a lefty, so liner-locks don't work for me.Thanks for any info!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Hey guys, on the Axis Lock knives, can the blade be "freed up" enough to 'sling' it closed as well as open? I have a Gerber 0-6 "manual" version that I've totally abused for years.I'd like to get something with a non-serrated blade but it needs to be one-handed open AND close. I've had and still have automatics but I don't want to have to "force" my work-knife closed.Gotten so used to 'sling open-'sling closed' ,that I'll never go back!:D PS,I'm a lefty, so liner-locks don't work for me.Thanks for any info!

Yes. My 530 will "sling" open with very minimal effort. Same for closing. Also the axis locks are perfect for doing that.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

You need a set of the torx drivers to properly adjust the tension in the pivot. Some people recommend using loctite to fix the setting, but mine has worked just fine with a single simple adjustment. (I also am concerned that with wear down the road I'd have to readjust, and I don't want to have to mess around with heating the screw to free up the loctite).

I keep buying benchmades, ever since I got my first axis lock. They might seem pricey, but I don't know how they can make such good knives and sell them at a profit over what I paid.

I've bought a couple used off ebay, and had no problems there either. Makes the price hit a little easier, and you avoid the tendency toward creating another safe queen.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC

I'm a lefty too, that's why I only choose Benchmade with the Axis lock. I just mount the clip to the other side and I am good to go for left pocket carry.

For the "sling" question: I just put a drop of CLP in the swivel. That alone allowed me to open the knife with a spirited fling and close it just by pulling the lock back and flinging gently. I didn't have to mess with the torx bolts to loosen anything..

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Welcome to the club! The AXIS is one of the finest innovations ever in the field of knives. There are tons of Benchmade collectors and their use of exotic steels, high quality fit and finishes, custom runs, single-handed revival of high quality automatics, and AMAZING customer service is why. If you ever get a chance to read up on "Benchmade Forum Knives", it really shows what the company is all about...every year they make a limited run, usually about 300 pieces, of a knife that is unique to the forum users' wants. In 2012, it was a Rift with true carbon fiber and CPM-M4 High Speed Tool Steel. The production runs are limited...it isn't really profitable for them relative to other knives. But they make it to show appreciation for the customers that are the most die hard of collectors who have shown the brand loyalty over many years. That says a lot about them as a company.

NRA-Benefactor

Defend Freedom
    Feb 4, 2013
    Calvert County
    Benchmades are good quality knives to start with, your taste in great steel will only get better. Now you will be looking at better steel such as Emerson and Micro-tech....

If you think Benchmades are pricey, wait till you step up a notch or two.

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    Okay, since my first purchase a few weeks ago I have gone off the deep end and bought a few more Benchmades.

Griptilian - Doug Ritter RSK MK1 full size
    Griptilian - Doug Ritter RSK MK1 mini
    Barrage - 581 with G10 handles and M390 blade

For the wife I got her a Griptilian - Doug Ritter RSK MK1 mini in pink

I have a few more on my wish list from Benchmade but right now I am looking into a few ESEE fixed blades. I am looking at the Laser Strike, the Izula II and the Candiru

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Benchmades are good quality knives to start with, your taste in great steel will only get better. Now you will be looking at better steel such as Emerson and Micro-tech....

If you think Benchmades are pricey, wait till you step up a notch or two.

Has Emerson started using something other than CPM-154? I've heard rumors of them using 3V for fixed blades, but I was under the impression they were still using 154 for folders. For a combat knife it is a great steel and they are great hard work knives with a lot of practical features. I absolutely love his designs as well as the blade geometry he uses. But for a long term edge, Benchmade is using a few steels that really excel such as the M4 high speed steel...with that said, I wouldn't want a combat knife in M4 or D2 at the 62 mark of hardness. I personally favor the hardening that Emerson and Reeve do given it makes sharpening easier and the gains in toughness are pretty significant. I can sharpen most Emersons and Reeves using a whetstone, a fire-starter, a leather jacket, and even my jeans...for a field knife, that's a huge plus. I've done a lot of prying, digging, throwing, and spearing with my Umnumzaan...if it wasnt a thick and slightly softer blade, I am positive I would have broken it as I use it as if it were a fixed blade.

I wish Microtech would be better about delivery... I have a CPM-S35VN CRK Sebenza and I am very happy with it as an incremental improvement over S30V, so Microtech's usage of it is a huge plus to me. I really wish Tony would get off his rear and make some more double actions given no one is better...hell, no one is even close. The Lightfoot, Terzuola, MTX, and Socom DA...it is beyond me why he doesn't make these. For almost 100 years, there had been many random failures at true double actions and zero successes beyond a few one-of-a-kind-customs...then he comes along, he perfects the action, implements some of the finest designs, and then he stops doing it. The Terzuola and MTX blades were works of art in themselves, and true pinnacles of edge geometry. No knife collection is complete without a Microtech double action and an OTF...and for that matter a LUDT or MUDT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom