• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    Well done! Was your first archery deer taken with traditional gear or crossbow?

Thank you. This is my second deer with a bow. First buck. Yes, both were taken with a compound bow. I've been "bow hunting" for several years but not very dedicated. I decided this year to put a little more time into bow season and it paid off.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    Very nice buck, and look at the neck on that sucker. You have a taxidermist lined up already? If not PM me for a recomendation.

I'm a taxidermist too, and a regular here at MD shooters. I might be a bit further away for you though.

itsslow He was very heavy. I had to back my atv into a rut and stand on the mound with my father-in-law to get it onto the back of the atv. I've never been good at guessing weights on deer but my father-in- law estimites he dressed at 175 or more.

foxtrapper I wish I had known. I have used a guy in AA co before for an 8 I got in 2003. A lot of people I work with use him so I went back to him. Ray Hitchcock in Gambrills. I'll keep you in mind for the next one. Thanks.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    The day I got this buck started out terrible and continued from there.
    I woke up late, at 9 am, because my phone took a crap on me and died overnight while sleeping so the alarm didn't go off. I was on another phone complaining to my wife, who told me to stop whining and get in my stand and enjoy the rest of the day, and worry about the phone when I got home.
    I got in my stand at 10 am, still mad. Calmed myself down and hit a doe bleat can call a few times, alternating with a buck grunt. Waited about 20 mins and hit them again. Heard what sounded like freight train come from directly behind me and stop about 15 yards short of the opening in front of me. Never got a look at what it was but it sounded like it walked away to the east. Waited about another 20 mins and hit the can call again, as soon as I tucked the call back in my jacket this buck walked into the opening from the south.
    I saw it was a shooter and stopped looking at the rack because I was already pumping with adrenaline. I was breathing so hard when I pulled back to full draw he MUST have heard me and even looked up at me once. He circled toward some scent I sprinkled in the grass then backed away and turned toward my entrance trail, presumably on the scent drag I laid down on the way in along a scrape line. He stopped broad side on the trail about 25 yards away and I thought twice about taking the shot because of a couple small limbs hanging in front of him. I decide to take the shot and watched the arrow snake right between the limbs (good thing I practice!). I was so amped up I wasn't sure I even connected.
    I was shaking so bad when I climbed down I stumbled over to where he was standing when I released the arrow. I discovered a big pool of blood 5 feet beyond where he was standing and started jumping up and down with excitement.
    I tracked the blood for about 60 yards and decided to mark the last spot and head out to get my atv. I ran all the way back to the truck and found my father-in-law at the camp site.
    At this point I discovered my atv battery didn't hold the charge I put on it the week before and had to jump it with my truck. We hurried back to finish tracking it and discovered him 20 yards beyond where I stopped tracking.
    I had to back my atv into a rut and stand on the mound with my father-in-law to get it onto the back of the atv. Once loaded and strapped down I tried to pull off and the atv died, because I forgot to check the gas level! (apparently my son decided to ride it around the yard on reserve and not tell me haha) I had to hike half a mile back to the camp site to get the gas can and half a mile back to the atv. After filling the tank we got it back to the camp site and prepared to start field dressing. At this point I remembered the evening before my father-in-law, who shot a nice 8 Friday evening, made a deal with me to field dress mine, if I got one, if I helped him because he was tired. When I reminded him of this he chuckled and said, "well you're younger than me so it's only right that you do it". (defeated again lol)
    I had forgotten about my phone being dead until I realized I couldn't take a field pic with my trophy! (insult to injury) Fortunately our neighbor was down and his wife took some pics for me and sent them to my wife.
    The day turned out great but it was a comedy of errors getting to the end I would gladly repeat!
    THEN I had to deal with my son (11 years old) who I wouldn't let go on this trip because he would have missed school on Friday, and I didn't want to have him miss two Fridays knowing he would miss for youth weekend. His complaining was short lived once he saw the bed of the truck with the nice deer we took, and we assured him we saw others he would have a shot at the following weekend.
    All in all it was a great day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom