• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    In Allegheny. Logical.

It was only a matter of time.

calling all venisonovores -- watch out for nervous tissue. excellent guidance at the link dantheman posted.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    CWD sucks, but it does not mean the end of deer hunting. I do my deer hunting in Illinois, which has dealt with CWD for years. Still lots of big, healthy deer to put in the freezer. Occasionally you see an afflicted deer, but not very often.

I dont spend as much time in the woods in MD as I should (mostly for lack of good, nearby places to go), but when I do get out I see browse lines that are 6' up and skinny deer with malformed antlers, etc. CWD sucks for sure, but something needs to thin the herd a bit.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    About CWD.

So do you use up a tag if you bring down a deer that looks sick?

Should you get your deer checked as soon as you field dress it?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    May be time to learn how to skin the head on a cape and to cut the skullplate yourself and clean everything from the inside of it. I'd be happy to teach it for free.

I'd guess now DNR will want any deer from that area to be fully caped and deboned ( spinal column) before you transport to another county?

The prions are concentrated in the brain and spinal cord.

Jan 26, 2011
    Hancock, MD
    fella's. im sure CWD has been present in our deer herd here in western MD for much longer than DNR lets on. DNR just hasnt found a case until now. lets think about it for a sec. CWD has been in PA and WV for years and what are the borders that separate those states from MD? Mason-Dixon Line. well that wont stop the deer. Potomac river. i think deer can swim and most of the year they can walk across it. hunters just keep doing practicing safe methods of field dressing, cook your meat past mowing or in this case grunting/bleating and youll be safe.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    The prions are concentrated in the brain and spinal cord.

Right. Supposedly, you can eat the muscle tissue of an infected deer and be OK. However, I would not try it, just to be safe. As long as you dont eat the brains or spinal cord, you are safe.

You will have to check with the MD DNR to see what the policy is for infected deer. They might want you to let it go, and report its location.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I can see contacting DNR if you suspect an infected deer ( by it's behavior) and have shot it. That way they can tell you proper disposal or they send someone to get it. I'm sure they will come out with a "game" plan if they feel the need, and hopefully if there is some new reg dealing with transport of capes with heads still in, they will send us taxidermists something. I haven't gotten an Allegheny co deer in for many years though, but I do know that with Hampshire co WV, DNR does want the brain and spine to stay there and not be bought into the state, just like with the other CWD states.

Keep in mind that if you kill a cervid in a CWD state such as CO, WI, IL, etc, that the head must be skinned on the cape, and the antlers removed attached to the skull plate, with all brain matter removed. Your taxidermist is not going to want to deal with DNR BS if you don't follow this, and if they say they don't care, then you have an unethical taxidermist ( well unless they keep a burn barrel going LOL). Contact your taxidermist BEFORE you go on such a trip and ask what you need to do. Sometimes outfitters and guides don't know all the regs.

My understanding is that the only way to be sure of the prions being destroyed is to incinerate the nerve tissues and brain.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    fella's. im sure CWD has been present in our deer herd here in western MD for much longer than DNR lets on. DNR just hasnt found a case until now. lets think about it for a sec. CWD has been in PA and WV for years and what are the borders that separate those states from MD? Mason-Dixon Line. well that wont stop the deer. Potomac river. i think deer can swim and most of the year they can walk across it. hunters just keep doing practicing safe methods of field dressing, cook your meat past mowing or in this case grunting/bleating and youll be safe.

To date there no confirmed cases of CWD in PA but I'm sure that's going to change...

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    On another note:
    Perhaps CWD is linked to depression in Deer. Heck, we are building and taking away their lands, and forcing them to live in small patches of woods.

Just a thought..

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Did this one have CWD?

gijoe_action_3.jpg

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Baiting bans? I don't even need bait and there is this pileup of a deer herd in the same locations all winter, pooping and peeing where they bed, and well worn trails full of more poop.

On another note, my customer who has 20 acres next to Loch Raven said he heard what he thinks was a coyote- strange yappy barky sounds followed by a howl, coming from down where he dumps deer leftovers and fish heads. Of course he is trying to figure out how to hunt it LOL, despite the kajillion deer around there. I told him to try blinds and REALLY know the wind, and set up by his bone pile.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    Baiting bans? I don't even need bait and there is this pileup of a deer herd in the same locations all winter, pooping and peeing where they bed, and well worn trails full of more poop.

On another note, my customer who has 20 acres next to Loch Raven said he heard what he thinks was a coyote- strange yappy barky sounds followed by a howl, coming from down where he dumps deer leftovers and fish heads. Of course he is trying to figure out how to hunt it LOL, despite the kajillion deer around there. I told him to try blinds and REALLY know the wind, and set up by his bone pile.

Ive heard Coyotes in Loch Raven on 3 seperate occasions. Ive also seen one just a couple miles down the road in a parking lot that backs up to woods that connect to loch raven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom