• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    Well, this afternoon 04RWon obliged me to accompany him to ACG so that I could zero my new LWRC.

DSCN0880-RS.jpg

I had planned on brining my camera along and taking pictures with the intent to be able to share some a provide a range report but I forgot my camera :facepalm: Although I don't suppose it matters much because our day was cut short.. Approximately 120 rounds were fired through the rifle, and after the 4th magazine was empty I cleared the rifle and when I sat it down I spotted a small black piece of metal fall onto the bench from the handguard area. After some time letting the can cool down we took it and the rail off to discover that the spring cup had a catastrophic failure... It was cracked on one side and a big piece was sheared off of the other.. along with the spring itself being bent out of whack. All rounds except for 1 were fired suppressed (should have seen the dirty looks we got from the whole line for that 1 shot) because it was uber obnoxious with the short barrel and muzzle brake. Most rounds were shot in relatively slow succession as we were taking 5 shot groups to zero in the irons and then the Eotech. The only exception being the last magazine which was fired relatively fast with the entire magazine emptied in about 25 seconds. All factory ammunition was used and all except for one magazine was PMC 62gr. The gun, other than this ran fine with no malfunctions of any kind. I haven't fully disassembled the rifle and really scrutinized every single part but after and fairly thorough one over I cannot find any other damage or signs of damage/wear. I got back home about 1 minute before LWRC closed up shop so I have to call them sometime tomorrow, In the mean time... what say you? :popcorn:

PS
    04RWon, Your awesome, it was great meeting you and thanks again for letting me tag along with you today... and thanks the the random stranger who was working at ACG spraying for bugs or something who happened to have a set of allen keys in his pocket so I could get my light and rail off and 04RWon could get his stock on:lol2:

DSCN0926.jpg

DSCN0928.jpg

DSCN0931.jpg

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Hey at least you weren't in combat and your life depended on it working. I hope it gets taken care of quickly.

bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    that really sucks...hopefully it gets fixed soon (and at no cost to you)

True, and me too. I hear LWRC has good service and at this point I'm not expecting it to be a big deal but I will keep everyone updated on the outcome.

Warranty!!!

Definitely, I don't recall right off my head what the terms of their warranty is but it was new when I got it this year and this is the first time its been shot so I expect it shouldn't be a problem to get things fixed. My real curiosity is what caused this to happen in the first place.... possibly just a dud part?

Hey at least you weren't in combat and your life depended on it working. I hope it gets taken care of quickly.

While it was still assembled it didn't look like the operating/intermediate rod or any of the rest of the assembly was in danger of failing and I imagine I could have kept firing but I stopped as to not put anything else, or myself at risk. I imagine in that scenario I would have kept firing anyway until the thing exploded or just failed... and true, I'm lucky that's not the case.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Looks like the piston return spring and spring cup.

Damage like this makes me think the gun is overgassed (Because of the suppressor) and the pistol is coming back WAY too hard and it busted the cup. When the Cup breaks the spring will uncoil without the cup to support it.

Gas Adjustment was likely too open for a suppressor or the adjuster was set incorrectly. What model is it M6A3?

God I hate Gas Piston AR's

The gun will still function without those parts but those parts work loike a buffer so th episton dont fly rearwards and slap the upper receiver. They also return the piston so the sarrier isnt slaping the piston forward to resrt it.

bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    Looks like the piston return spring and spring cup.

Damage like this makes me think the gun is overgassed (Because of the suppressor) and the pistol is coming back WAY too hard and it busted the cup. When the Cup breaks the spring will uncoil without the cup to support it.

Gas Adjustment was likely too open for a suppressor or the adjuster was set incorrectly. What model is it M6A3?

God I hate Gas Piston AR's

The gun will still function without those parts but those parts work loike a buffer so th episton dont fly rearwards and slap the upper receiver. They also return the piston so the sarrier isnt slaping the piston forward to resrt it.

That makes sense. I was wondering beforehand if that issue might arise but I was observing and did not notice any irregular ejection pattern, possibly 04RWon can chime in if he saw something irregular. This is a M6A2. "God I hate Gas Piston AR's" LMAO, I knew that was coming. If that's the case, is there anything I can do to correct the issue myself? I forgot to mention previously that it has a H2 buffer in it also.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Wow, that friggin' blows. I can't believe that would happen with an LWRC set-up. Hope they take care of that for you.

Guess I won't be doing a can on my piston upper then.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That makes sense. I was wondering beforehand if that issue might arise but I was observing and did not notice any irregular ejection pattern, possibly 04RWon can chime in if he saw something irregular. This is a M6A2. "God I hate Gas Piston AR's" LMAO, I knew that was coming. If that's the case, is there anything I can do to correct the issue myself? I forgot to mention previously that it has a H2 buffer in it also.

Im not sure if that model has an adjustable regulator. If it does it should have a suppressed setting. Is the rail blocking it? If you were firing in the std setting with a suppressor attached this will happen.

I blame the EOtech for the breakage. ;)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Im not sure if that model has an adjustable regulator. If it does it should have a suppressed setting. Is the rail blocking it? If you were firing in the std setting with a suppressor attached this will happen.

I wasn't aware the STD setting caused breakage. I was under the impression it just caused red bumps and irritation.

Yuengling and laptop are being put down with apologies hahaha

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Wow, that friggin' blows. I can't believe that would happen with an LWRC set-up. Hope they take care of that for you.

Guess I won't be doing a can on my piston upper then.

D.I. AR's can beat themselves apart too if overgassed but usually it just destroys a Receiver Extension or peens up the Buffer.

Difference here is D.I. AR parts can be bought anywhere, Piston AR parts, not so much.

LWRC is the only Piston AR I would ever recomend but I still say a D.I. AR is better in every aspect.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Oww, that hurt there Lord Chad... My EO-Tech has caused me no breakages, my choice in ammo though has caused some head-aches... :innocent0

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Oww, that hurt there Lord Chad... My EO-Tech has caused me no breakages, my choice in ammo though has caused some head-aches... :innocent0

You guys with your eotechs. :lol2: They look like a shoe mounted with a picatinny rail, except these shoes eat batteries faster than a thunderstick vibrator.

bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere

It doesn't have an adjustable regulator (to my knowledge) I believe only the M6A3 has that. Any other options I can exploit? Going to suck to find out I can't run a can on this reliably after I'm $3500 into it.

"I blame the EOtech for the breakage. ;)":lol2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I won't argue there, trials/tribulations of this current piston set-up has me looking forward to getting the d.i. back on that lower.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    LOL. I actually thought you were disagreeing and then I got the joke. :lol2:

You won't hear me disagree with anyone regarding the AR15 as I don't have much knowledge on the platform, me likes my akm's!

EIDT: To the OP I feel bad for you knowing how bad it sucks to go to the range to have a blast and then sure enough.......disaster. Specially when your at the range with the most badass toys. Great looking gun hope you get it fixed.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    After all the head-ache I've had with my piston, I have no right to argue in the d.i vs. piston category now.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It doesn't have an adjustable regulator (to my knowledge) I believe only the M6A3 has that. Any other options I can exploit? Going to suck to find out I can't run a can on this reliably after I'm $3500 into it.

"I blame the EOtech for the breakage. ;)":lol2:

Unless theres an adjustable regulator added I dont think you can avoid this issue. Perhaps LWRC can offer an A# adjuster and just mul the rail to accomidate adjustment.

You can try a Spikes ST3 buffer (Not sure what weight the LWRC Buffer is but the ST-3 is made for overgassed guns) and a this spring:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/skudetailv2.aspx?sid=48000&pid=22336&tabid=0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom