• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    my first hunt there were squirrels screwing around behind me and it was dark because I got into the woods at 4 30 out of excitement. I swore I would see 10 deer behind me from all the noise. what a rush and still is

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    BURY that stock in your shoulder.
    Not sure what you are shooting but LEAN IN.
    Like blocking a lineman in football.
    Set that gun solid in your shoulder, get a solid base.
    Lean into it. Your round WILL push your shoulder back -
    and if you are candy ass you will miss every time.
    Put your gun on a rest or against a tree, scope or
    sights on the likely KILL ZONE SHOT.
    This is the likely area the deer will be shootable.
    Wait. She may come towards you and give you a closer shot.
    If you are in a tree, the closer they get, you have to aim lower.
    You need see a clear shooting alley.
    Cocked and ready, you are on the sights
    as the deer walks into your comfortable 'Kill Zone".
    Breathe, then 'Meehh' or Whistle. (woop)
    THE DEER WILL STOP.
    The deer has stopped in your crosshairs or sights,
    in the brush free shooting lane..
    If you don't like the shot, don't take it.
    Ethics, ethics, ethics.
    Great Luck, I think you will see deer tomorrow.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I remember my first deer hunt.....when I found out I was horribly allergic to deer fur. :sad20:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I remember my first deer hunt.....when I found out I was horribly allergic to deer fur. :sad20:

That would suck. Then again, might as well go out with your buddies and tell them "I can shoot the deer, just cannot handle it afterward because I am allergic to its fur". You would never have to gut or butcher a deer in your life, but still get to deer hunt.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Lean into it.[/QUOTE]

Careful with the language there brother - I know you're trying to help him out and are giving some good advice, but you don't want to give him scope eye. :D

To the OP - Have a GREAT day tomorrow! After all this rain the deer should be tired of being laid up, and may move throughout the day. Not likely to hear any walking tomorrow, it's too wet - but hope you see some!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Lean into it.[/QUOTE]

Careful with the language there brother - I know you're trying to help him out and are giving some good advice, but you don't want to give him scope eye. :D

To the OP - Have a GREAT day tomorrow! After all this rain the deer should be tired of being laid up, and may move throughout the day. Not likely to hear any walking tomorrow, it's too wet - but hope you see some!

I believe he is a she.

Scope eye can be painful, and bloody too. I did it once when I first got my .300 Win Mag. You learn quickly after the first bite. Never had a problem with the rifle while shooting paper, only when I was in a hurry to get it on a game animal.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Time spent in the woods is well spent. You will enjoy it even if you don't see any deer. Sit still and if you have to move any move as slow as molasses in winter. You will likely not hear the deer approach. You will just see him and wonder how the hell he got there. It's great . You'll have a blast.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Scope eye can be painful, and bloody too. I did it once when I first got my .300 Win Mag. You learn quickly after the first bite. Never had a problem with the rifle while shooting paper, only when I was in a hurry to get it on a game animal.

Yup, ALMOST got one in 2010 when shooting a caribou with my .338 - almost leaned in a little too close, the scope barely brushed my head after the shot. Another 1/4 inch closer, and I'd have had a bloody mess, and a headache for three days. :D

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Glad everyone else reports not sleeping the night before 'cuz it's 1:47 AM and I have barely slept! My mind is churning! Thanks for all the great advice.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    WELL!!!???

10:35 in the morning on the day of the hunt and you expect an update from her? That is one thing I don't do. I don't surf the internet while out hunting. Don't answer e-mails. Rarely answer the phone unless it is my wife calling more than once, and about only text my wife. And that is when I am waterfowl hunting in a blind. lol

Maybe that is why I still enjoy hunting. Some peace and quiet in an otherwise insane world.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I wish I was busy cutting up a deer! We saw two groups of eight does. My friend and I were in stands next to each other. He had a climber and I was in the landowners ladder stand. He had a bow and I had a borrowed AR w .556 Grendel. At around 7:15 four does- one mature and three yearlings made their way towards us, but unfortunately my friends tree bole and stand were blocking my shot. Then they came a bit further down the trail and moved into some brush. I set my sights on a likely clearing, but they all paused in the brush. The mature doe moved forward into a "box" made by two live trees, a felled log and the ground. Had her in my sights but could not tell which way she was facing as her head was hidden. I had a gut feeling that she had turned and I was aiming at her hind end, so I held, hoping for a cleaner shot. She move forward and was turned so I was glad. And then?? A damn heron from the pond 50 yards away leapt into flight, squawking like mad! Scared all four does and they scampered off without further presentation. Around 9:15 four other does came pelting up behind us, but they were at a dead run and there was a house that direction. No good. Better luck next time... But I did learn some stuff.

1. Five hour energy tastes disgusting but works.
    2. My buddies AR is defective, or I am extra controlling. I sat with a round chambered in it for at least five hours. It just sat there across my knees and didn't try to go murder people. I also felt no urge to murder people with it.
    3. Hunting truly is a different kind of cold. I updates my gear w bibs since my Jan goose hunt. Still felt cold after an hour. I need better boots and base layers. Hiking gear does not cut it.
    4. The weirdest things cause noises. The zipper pulls on the leg zippers on my bibs would occasionally ping against the metal stand. Anyone have an idea of how to fix that? I thought about electrical tape wrapped around the zipper pull.
    5. Squirrels are funny and fascinating in the woods but they really do make an inordinate amount of noise!

I should be exhausted but I am still kind of buzzed. Hoping I can get a crossbow with Christmas money so it will open up more of a season for me. Course if you give a newb hunter a crossbow... She's gonna want a climbing tree stand to go with it. Ha! Thanks for all the advice fellas!

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009

I'm allergic too. Doesn't stop us though. My buddy always laughed at me when I had my sneezing fits taking care of the deer. He's not laughing any more, he's sneezing now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom